hang-on refugium

• SRC Member

hi, i saw this product some time back.. and been wanting to try out.. but would like to know whether any souls out there have tried it and find that it is good? heard that it can remove nitrates.. true or not...

if i 'm not wrong, it is called Eco-system.... available in petmart. abt $200 i think... ;)

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

The idea of a hang-on refugium is good. The Ecosystem design is good too but I would rather not pay for Miracle muck! They have yet to substantiate their claim that Miracle mud is from the sea when analysis has shown that it has been no where near the sea.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

i think the mud is more like from mangrove.. anyway.. any idea whether the eco-system comes with the "mud"... btw, i really wonder what does the mud do... me skeptical abt the claims leh.. if it is really that good.. i might consider going to Ubin to get the mangrove mud.. hehehe.. after i get the system that is.. and that is when i have the money.. :P

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
hi, i saw this product some time back.. and been wanting to try out.. but would like to know whether any souls out there have tried it and find that it is good? heard that it can remove nitrates.. true or not...

if i 'm not wrong, it is called Eco-system.... available in petmart. abt $200 i think... ;)

$200? u kidding me??? i tot it costs $750??? where was it that u saw? if it's really $200, i'll go grab it....

• SRC Member

The mud was analysed to show that it had low levels of minerals that would be normally high in seawater like Sodium and it has virtually no carbonates but very high amount of quartz(sand).

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Tanzy,dun think miracle mud does anything for the water- its suppose to ibooster micro-fauna who actually do the work, who also becomes food for micro-organisms thus a micro eco-system. but i have very much doubts on it size- how much can such a small hang on process?

i saw the trial systems using miracle mud in the US are refugiums in the sump..filtration systems of around 60-90 gals,filled with algae & assortment of worms. corals seem to do better because maybe they get actual live plankton.

The nitrates reduction should be by the algae changing it into plant matter.

Kel- i guess mangrove mud should do the trick for planting but got to run skimmmer on the setup before connecting to main tank.....mud has years of decaying matter in it...lotsa proteins-most prob. kill lots of sensitive things. Bet skimmer will be full of gunk.

i've been thinkin of trying for ages but untill i actually get round to collecting it- won't know for sure.

i can run it on a separate closed system(just a 2ft) & see what happens,just for fun.

• SRC Member
Tanzy,dun think miracle mud does anything for the water- its suppose to ibooster micro-fauna who actually do the work, who also becomes food for micro-organisms thus a micro eco-system. but i have very much doubts on it size- how much can such a small hang on process?

i saw the trial systems using miracle mud in the US are refugiums in the sump..filtration systems of around 60-90 gals,filled with algae & assortment of worms. corals seem to do better because maybe they get actual live plankton.

The nitrates reduction should be by the algae changing it into plant matter.

Kel- i guess mangrove mud should do the trick for planting but got to run skimmmer on the setup before connecting to main tank.....mud has years of decaying matter in it...lotsa proteins-most prob. kill lots of sensitive things. Bet skimmer will be full of gunk.

i've been thinkin of trying for ages but untill i actually get round to collecting it- won't know for sure.

i can run it on a separate closed system(just a 2ft) & see what happens,just for fun.

Fred,

perhaps i did see the price wrongly.. hehhe.. i dun know.. never really go and ask.. but i think i did see the price as $200++... not too sure.. have not been there for a long time already...

Bran,

perhaps u can try it out.. and let me know.. hehehe.. my tank is still far away... in a galaxy far far away, there is a tank that belongs to me.. hehehe..