Wanted Another Fish

• SRC Member

Hi all,

I have a 4 ft tank and currently I have Yellow tang, blue tang, flame angel, royal dottyback, 4-stripe damsel (qty=2).

Wanted to add a purple tang or a sailfin tang but was advised against them by a LFS because sure kena bullied by yellow tang.

What would you add if you were me ? Must be reef safe.

thanks for any suggestion.

LimPC

• SRC Member

Your stocking is very similar to mine! :)

I have a Percula, an Orchid Dottyback, a Flame Angel, Flame Hawk, Desjardinii Tang, Regal Tang, Pyjama Cardinal, Lyretail Hogfish and Moorish Idol in a 3 x 2 x 2. But if you ask me again in 2 days time, I'll prob be without the moorish idol.

The LFS owner is right, your yellow tang will probably shred any new Zebrasoma tang you add :P

I wouldnt add a Royal Gramma cos theres a Royal Dottyback, and the risk is there...

Wouldnt add a Percula cos it would probably get whacked by your Damsel...

Wouldnt add another Dwarf Angel cos you've got the Most aggresive of Dwarf Angels already...

Flame Hawk or a Small Longnose Hawk should be a safe bet. They are pretty reefsafe if your ornamental shrimp are well established in your tank. My Hawk was also my last addition. No one bothers him.

Happy Shopping~

• SRC Member

thanks, pal. Sounds good. hawk fish here I come.

Just a little side track. I used to have a Coral Beauty in my tank for a long while and just about a month ago i added the flame angel. That poor Flame kena bullied and whack by the coral beauty. Can you imagine the pain I had, a $8/- fish tekaning a $40/- fish ?? :angry:

So, my maid and I spent the whole saturday cornering the coral beauty and finally got him out of the tank but only after removing almost all my LR into a bath tub.

So, for the next fish, I would really want to hear from fellow forumers' experience.

Guys/gals, any other suggestions besides hawk fish ?

Thanks

LimPC

Hi all,

I have a 4 ft tank and currently I have Yellow tang, blue tang, flame angel, royal dottyback, 4-stripe damsel (qty=2).

Wanted to add a purple tang or a sailfin tang but was advised against them by a LFS because sure kena bullied by yellow tang.

What would you add if you were me ? Must be reef safe.

thanks for any suggestion.

LimPC

IMO if your yellow tang has been in the tank for some time, it is better not to add the 2 tangs above..... The 2 tangs you mention have the same shape as the yellow tang thus there is a very high chance that your yellow tang will attack them... Suggest other tangs such as naso tang to be added........

You might be able to get away with a Kole tang? Or a dwarf angel? I once had a dwarf angel (greyish white body with faint black stripes and and orange ring around the eye)...it was always with my yellow tang. They sort of like paired up? :blink:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

thanks, pal. Sounds good. hawk fish here I come.

Just a little side track. I used to have a Coral Beauty in my tank for a long while and just about a month ago i added the flame angel. That poor Flame kena bullied and whack by the coral beauty. Can you imagine the pain I had, a $8/- fish tekaning a $40/- fish ?? :angry:

So, my maid and I spent the whole saturday cornering the coral beauty and finally got him out of the tank but only after removing almost all my LR into a bath tub.

So, for the next fish, I would really want to hear from fellow forumers' experience.

Guys/gals, any other suggestions besides hawk fish ?

Thanks

LimPC

me too having a 4ft FOWLR tank,

with me now is 4 greem chormis, 1 coral beauty, 1 yellow angel (not sure the name), 5 different type of clown and two goby intend to get a flame angel and a emperor angel maybe also a blue ring. Tangs will join later, probably hippo(blue) and yellow tang

is coral beauty that aggressive, cause is was being bully by the yellow angel,

what is your advise should i add in the flame angel

thank you for those who can advise.

Regards

SST

me too having a 4ft FOWLR tank,

with me now is 4 greem chormis, 1 coral beauty, 1 yellow angel (not sure the name), 5 different type of clown and two goby intend to get a flame angel and a emperor angel maybe also a blue ring. Tangs will join later, probably hippo(blue) and yellow tang

is coral beauty that aggressive, cause is was being bully by the yellow angel,

what is your advise should i add in the flame angel

thank you for those who can advise.

Regards

SST

IMO your tank is already very crowded.... pls stop buying more fishes

• SRC Member

Generally, you should have only 1 dwarf angel in a tank unless its a large tank with lots of hideouts. If you want to have more than 1, you should add them at the same time, else aggression will usually set in. This is esp so when the one to be added is smaller or is a dwarf dwarf angel, ie Flameback, Cherub or Multicolor.

Does your yellow angel have a blue ring around the eye? If not its a Heralds. If there is, its a Lemonpeel. Or maybe even a mimic tang... :P

A lemon peel from Hawaii? how much you paid for him? there's also the common kind...but no blue ring around eyes..most you will get is a deeper shade :) ...

IMO , may be can add on Fireball Angel.....

no chance against flame if it is fully established...mine chase after damsels and my clownfish....... :unsure:

fireball is smaller than than flame angel.... :)

• SRC Member

My TWO coral beauties and a flame angel lead somewhat harmoniously together as I have given them some hideaways. Infact, they seem to enjoy chasing each other because I always monitor for casualites whenever I see the chases but to no avail... :P

• SRC Member

*sigh* reminds me of my Lemonpeel that kena sudden death...

She was such a beauty... now dare not add cos the Flame Angel is damn notti. Chase everything from flame hawk to orchid dottyback. Nothing better to do. Typical of flame angels... aggressive, territorial and too free...

Flubberina> I dont think your Angels would actually 'enjoy' chasing each other... haha~ i think its just a way of establishing the 'pecking order' in the tank :)

My TWO coral beauties and a flame angel lead somewhat harmoniously together as I have given them some hideaways. Infact, they seem to enjoy chasing each other because I always monitor for casualites whenever I see the chases but to no avail... :P

Eh suggest you remove one out...... I hate fish attacking and chasing each other

• SRC Member

Hi all,

A happy ending to this thread.

I bought a Powder Brown Tang this weekend. Very nice. Seldom see in LFS.

The yellow trimmings against its brownish body is very constrasting and when its fins were opened up, whoa.

Fortunately, it is getting along very well their fellow cousins. My zebra damsel tried to be naughty but this fellow did not give face to the old birds.

Looks like a good combination now and will have to stop stocking for a couple of months.

Will try to post a picture if I can get a good shot.

Thanks all,

LimPC