DIY Tank Cabinet

kaykay

• SRC Member

Oops! Forgot about the hole!!!! :blink:

Managed to cut a square hole in the correct corner using drill and jigsaw.. hope it's big enough.

Was actually thinking of just drill-sawing the exact hole when tank arrives, and by placing the tank on the plank, measure the exact position of the hole, use a saw bit to drill a perfect hole.. But think it's too troublesome.. too much things to be concerned with that day..plus all the dust!! :pinch:

I was looking to nail 2 more side panels. I think this should hold it more firmly. Have no confidence to saw/chisel an L-joint perfectly, so decided against doing so. Scared "injured" the wood, worse still.. :cry:

Thanks for all your feedback. Will update more pics later.

• SRC Member
After 2 days of working on it..

Each day only spent about 2 hours..

BTW, only using kapur wood.

Bro..... where u get the kapur wood from? can pm me the add.... :)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

u have the L brackets right if so then should be not that bad... and the way you laid the beam sitting on 1" of the column also prob can do away with the lap joints... should be okay lah just test it loh, get your whole family sit on it...

Hope you used stainless steel screws and all nails...

• SRC Member

Thanx Rocky,

You were the one from whom i got the inspiration to DIY cabinet..

Wood from Chip Lee Timbers at Eunos Industiral park. (Eunos Ave 6)

All cut to exact size. Saved me a lot of trouble... B)

Cutting took them roughly 2 hours. Too bad most of the good hardware shops around there were relocated due to construction of new building, if not it was a great place to get all the supplies you'll need for woodworking. From formica sheets, pvc sheets, pvc strips in all sorts of colours and tones, and all those tools... Good DIY shopping ground it was. Now all gone, wonder where to... :unsure:

Luckily i live nearby (Bedok Reservoir). Went home and waited for their call for collection.. :D

Cheers!

• SRC Member

Finally done up the whole darn thing! :D

After nailing the side panels in, it feels damn solid man! No matter how i push, it does not sway one bit. Phew! :eyebrow: Completely satisfied..

But did not buy enough sticker sheets to cover the doors.. lazy to go down to buy.. will do tomorro.

Thinking of starting work on the hood, but thought against it. Wait for tank to arrive first then build hood... wait wrong size, all efforts go to waste.

Here's a pic to show results for.. Pardon the ugly unlaminated doors.

post-9-1103543741.jpg

• SRC Member

good job!

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member

Tank fits just nicely.. just...

Turns out that the kapur beams too thick... the overflow pipes almost can't fit into the cut hole... Pushed the tank slightly off to the right.. 'bout 0.5cm off.

Rest ok.. ;)

Thanks!!

My back's aching like mad! Haven't even done scapeing! Another back breaking day coming up this weekend.. :pinch:

• SRC Member
Tank fits just nicely.. just...

Turns out that the kapur beams too thick... the overflow pipes almost can't fit into the cut hole... Pushed the tank slightly off to the right.. 'bout 0.5cm off.

Rest ok.. ;)

Thanks!!

My back's aching like mad! Haven't even done scapeing! Another back breaking day coming up this weekend.. :pinch:

U might want to change the method of covering your plywood.

I find tt the sticker sheets comes off quite quickly as the air is moist and salty.

Perhaps few layers of lacquer or varnish before applying the sticker sheet will enable it to stick better, or just change to a veneer covering :lol:

Maybe also fill in the gaps between the cabinate and tank with a bead of silicone so tt water will not seap inbetween and retain there. Causing the wood to degrade faster :blink:

Very nicely done!!!!

2 thumbs UP! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...