Sump Design

spade

• SRC Member

Hi guys, I just collected my sump/refugium from the tank makers today!! I'm so excited!!!

Special thanks to Phang, Tanzy, Ian and Rumour for your tips and suggestions! :P

Here's a picture of it... still empty though. Just had a good wash and dried.

post-6-1043073333.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
Here's another shot of the durso.  Not sure if its gonna work...

Nice Job! Sure work one! :D

Don't forget to make the hole on the end cap.

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member

I've only got this in my sump. If you want you can have some.

post-6-1043076524.jpg

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

• SRC Member

Great looking sump! Enjoy. B)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Haha!!!.... very nice, very nice.....

Try this... for the returns to the sump, place them at different parts of your reef.... use the ball valves to control the amount of return and you will be able to have the random flow desired.....

Jus a question, is there a requirement for a Durso for this???

You GUYS are definitely getting very very very GOOD at this!!!!!!...

:wub:

• SRC Member

Well, considering that I removed the final "overflow box" on the outside, the water cascading will be quite high... hence the durso lor. I'll be connecting pipes to the other side like you recommended to stimulate the random flow you were talking about. :)

We're good cos we're in SRC with great advice and suggestions!

• SRC Member
I've only got this in my sump. If you want you can have some.

Thanks Ian, but just a little late. I was so excited I went to buy a rock of those green calupera you have. Is that a 6-line wrasse? It's such a beautiful fish!!! I'd love one of those!

• SRC Member

Ok... after a whole day of work... I got the whole thing up and running at last! Hooray to 0-plumbing problems! :P Thanks to that Orange Can of Japanese PVC glue.

Yo Yazid, you mentioned its easy to detach after gluing? Wah, I tug, and twisted and pulled and huffed and puffed... but I couldn't get it apart. :cry:

So what do I need to do next to make sure that sediment dwelling amphipods and copepods will start occupying their new home?

• SRC Member

Thanks Ian, but just a little late. I was so excited I went to buy a rock of those green calupera you have. Is that a 6-line wrasse? It's such a beautiful fish!!! I'd love one of those!

No wories dude, just put up pix! :D

Our New Address:

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

• SRC Member
Ok... after a whole day of work... I got the whole thing up and running at last! Hooray to 0-plumbing problems! :P Thanks to that Orange Can of Japanese PVC glue.

Yo Yazid, you mentioned its easy to detach after gluing? Wah, I tug, and twisted and pulled and huffed and puffed... but I couldn't get it apart. :cry:

So what do I need to do next to make sure that sediment dwelling amphipods and copepods will start occupying their new home?

Hi,

Your sump is made of glass right?

Acrylic really cost a bomb :shock:

• SRC Member

Hi eprouve,

Hope to see a pix of your sump in action! :idea:

Thanks

• SRC Member

This thread have been a great help to me as i m also designing my own sump w/refugium. However, the flow rate through the refugium was not discuss much in detail.

My question is should i design a by-pass( some water by-pass the refugium to make flow rate slower in the refugium) in the system?In another word, some amount of water only pass through the mech, biological & chemical filter w/o going through the refugium.

Also, I would like to know whether it is better to have the chemical filter before or after the refugium?

Thanks a million. :thanks:

• SRC Member

Thanks Phang! Heheh... (indirectly praising yourself eh? :P )

Norman,

Well, the main reason is that I don't really know what I should be having in there. Coral chips, ceramic rings seem redundant... biohome needs to be shaded away from light... etc etc...

The other reason is the influence by the young guy at New Trio Fisheries? He was showing me all their sumps... operating purely on bioballs (but a wet/dry system). He says purely bioballs (not even wool for mechanical filtration) is more than good enough.

Yet, some people were saying even bioballs on their own is unnecessary as long as you have a refugium... so I'm kinda sitting on the fence lar... :heh:

• SRC Member
The Seachem Puri-(something) looks good.  just wondering if its available locally.

r u referring to Purigen? it is available locally...sounds gd...but hor...haiya...someone told me to use it wif caution...if not these thingy will absorb all your essential elements away :unsure::blink::wacko:

previous thread on purigen

btw...is tat my limewood air stone... :D