Is 2X150W MH enough to keep SPS?

Hi all, just want to find out if 2X150W of MH is sufficient to keep all kinds of SPS.

I remember reading somewhere about lightings for SPS. Although lights are important for SPS, it is not the top priority.

Moreover, some SPS keepers are using just T5s.

Anyone can teach me?

Thanks.

• SRC Member

u got to place them realli high up like wat i does... as someone who uses 150W on sps, i advice u not to save that little bit... go for 250W... u got more punch, intensity n u can probably hang a bit higher so that ur maintenance is gonna be easier n lightings more spread ;)

btw, wat is ur tank dimension?

• SRC Member

Dido clownfish.

100w x 2 for running 8 hours a day will cost you only 20C a day. However it's save all your money you buy SPS. Trust me , it's my personal exp

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

thanks guys.

i have not buy any SPS yet. not sure if my lights are able to support them. if i place them, they will be at most 1.5ft away fron light source.

my tank is 4x2x2. and electricity consumption is not an issue to me.

any bros got success in keeping SPS under 150W of lightings?

if electricity consumption is not an issue, go with 2 X 400W. You will definitely get stunning acros if water parameter, in-tank current flow is sufficient.

no point going with 150W and find that you should have invested on the other, regret and spend again. I went down that path many times

I have tried using 150W MH....acros do turn brown, best they do are green or those brown/purple. Cant really hold those light coloured ones.

Currently, 250W MH are so cheap....last I heard, someone selling at $188 per pendent...

When I started the hobby, I paid more than 1K plus just for a 2X150W fixture.

Probably, within 1K now, you can fix up 2X250W with nice cool Ca Reactor ;)

I have tried using 150W MH....acros do turn brown, best they do are green or those brown/purple. Cant really hold those light coloured ones.

Currently, 250W MH are so cheap....last I heard, someone selling at $188 per pendent...

thanks mod and all.

the current promotion looks tempting. but it does not come with bulb and ballast. so it will come to about $700 to get 2x250W. a CR i think will cost abt $700 also.

cant really afford it at this moment.

• Sponsor

yes, u need to use atleast 2x250watts in order to retain the color of the acro and also growth. Not to forget your water perimeters thats play a big part too.

no point geting your CA level to appropriate level but achiving brown acros...

i suggest u go for the lights first follow by the CR. mean time, u can dose it manually...like what DB is saying.

cheers

Heheh cos that Mh set of yours is made by Azoo.. super ex....

• SRC Member

now i also trying sps with 150w mh

lowest SPS to MH is around 1ft and highest around 9in

should i raise them higher???

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices