Combined Reef & FOWLR Tank in mind

peong

• SRC Member

Size is 4.5ft x 2 x 2.5(H)

It's just a brief drawing. Off course, there will be a gap block thing at both side, same as normal overflow system.

Just for more information, my design is a three sides view display, and the glass in between the tank will be in black.

• SRC Member

me no expert, but can't help on seeing your design..imo the return water goes to reef enuff. then from there it goes to fowlr tank & to sump. splitting into 2 for return will decrease the waterflow.

How are u going to position the ph for current, if any for reef side?

nice & unique design, btw. :D

• SRC Member

thanks pegasus1010,

The intention of splitting the return water into 2 is decrease the flow power to the Reef tank, because the tank size is only 2ft x 1.5 x 2.5H.

the ph will be placed at the last compartment in the sump. Any recommendation what pump should i use? tks

thanks pegasus1010,

The intention of splitting the return water into 2 is decrease the flow power to the Reef tank, because the tank size is only 2ft x 1.5 x 2.5H.

the ph will be placed at the last compartment in the sump. Any recommendation what pump should i use? tks

Since you have not done up your sump yet, it is better to use an external pump like the iwaki MD40. It will:

1) Save space inside your tank

2) Effecient

3) Will not transfer heat into your tank

Also, check out the total footprint of the skimmer + pump you intend to use. If you are thinking in-sump, I don't the space you have catered is enough. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

I'm no expert but couple of concern that you may want to consider:

1. If you have reef and FOWLR all in the same tank (separated by a divider), it will not look so pleasant estatically (doesn't look balance).

2. Since you will be feeding your FOLWR a lot, keeping the nutrient low is going to be a challenge. Especially the nitrate will be sky rocket, which will not affect your fish but your coral.

3. Your DSB is just too small for it to be effective. There is no way the small section of DSB is going to be enough to remove all the nitrate produced by the fishes.

I think you will be better off putting them in separate tank. Otherwise, to keep a small reef, you have to dose a lot more expensive chemical (e.g. Cal, KH, Mg, trace elements, etc.) since the water volume is much more than if you have a 1.5ft reef tank.

• SRC Member

I agree. Interesting idea but the result is that you have to maintain the parameters of a large tank (becos the water flows through) while limiting yourself to a very small area for corals. Lighting, temperature, chemicals etc will have to be done as per a large tank which is not worth it for a small reef.

1/2' footprint for skimmer might not be enough for a 4.5' tank as well.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

So to say, if I can overcome the nitrate control, this combined system may probably works right. ;)

I hear from some reffers said that having DSB is actually a failure setup as it not really able to solve the nitrate problem. As so they recommended to go for bare bottom and settle all treatments from the sump system. How you think?

About the consideration of the high dosage of the expensive chemicals, that's why I thinking of a sharing system instead putting them in separate. I don't know how difficult will it be in handling both system its stability. However, just bring this up for more advices. tks!

• SRC Member

After listening to many advices, I think it's needed to separate my system into two.

It's still a very interesting design which instead of having the reef display in the main tank, but now put it with the sump area.

This time the reef tank is only a size of 1.5ft x 1 x 1.5H. Purpose to have a mini reef is bcos low cost and easy maintenance.

Pls see my modified design here and hope that you give me some more comments. Thanks!

My_Tank_Design_2.doc

• SRC Member

Hello

REALLY need your precious input. Like such a mini reef is't too small to keep corals? Do the shop sell nice n small size corals?

For my 4ft FOWLR, a sump of 1.5ft x 1.5 x 1.5 is't too small? any recommendation?

Pls tohlong tohlong, give me your comments. Thank you!