Battle with NO3- hitting plateau

joeyttk

Hi guys,

I posted my issues with NO3- previously and gotten a lot of advise from experts in this forum. Thanks

I am now in a plateau with my NO3- problem and hope that you could provide more advise

My NO3- is still between 10-25 ppm and Phosphate is around 5. I am growing calupura in my sump and has being quite successful with the help of Iron supplement. I am not sure if this will be enuff. Here's some questions

a. I read from other threads and website that bio balls may be home ground for NO3-. Should I remove all my Bios ball from filter and relay solely on my canister filters and DSB ?

b. I am putting Seachem NO3- Denitrator in my JEPO canister filter. I am afraid that the flow rate may be too fast for it to take effect. Will this work ? Or should I get a FR ?

c. My tank is pretty barren now and I re-arranged the LR. At some area, it cause release an awefully strong nasty smell. Are those the bacterias/O2-lacking areas that is helping me with my fight against NO3- or are those bad. i.e. should I clean up my DSB ?

Here's some specs of my tank

a. 5.5ft length, 3ft++ height and 1.5ft width

b. DSB about 5 inch thick

c. 3ft Sump has another SBed of 5 inch in middle compactment

d. 2x150mh [currently switch from 7 hours back to 5hours due to LR turning brown, and red coralline turning white]

e. NO3- still between 10-25

f. Phosphate still around 5

g. CA around 500, and KH around 8dkh

Will be testing for magnesium and PH later today

thanks and any advise is welcome :)

joey.

not to doubt your advise but I thought we are not supposed to disturb the sandbed ?

changing 25% very week is 150l of water to me. I have very little livestock and I think I will not go to such a drastic measure unless it is absolutely necessary. Too much disturbance to the water parameters.

Cleaning sandbed means just to clear up the very top part of it. You can also improve the water circulation which should help too.

As for changing 25% of the water, it is to help export the nutrients and to lower the NO3 and PO4, you mention you have 5ppm PO4? This is way too high, doing 25% water change will not have to drastic effect to your reef tank especially when the nutrient levels in your tank are so high.

• SRC Member

errr.....i dun't think you should go all the way down to the 2 inches....just a small layer, maybe 1/2 inch will do.....also if you have cleaning crew, it might not be enitire neccessary to clean your sandbed...

don't think your Seachem NO3- Denitrator can be put in a canister as it requires only a slow flow rate of at most 250L per hour....just put the media in a box with a small hole underneath and use a small pump to pump water in.....

the other method is to try AZ-NO3...when N03 brings down to zero slowly wean the system of the product....its very very effective product...

Hi,

thanks for all the advise, just a little update on my situation.

I measured that NO3- is around 10ppm today and my phosphate is actually 0.5 :) not 5.

I havent get my PH and Magnesium test kit yet, and currently my Calcium is way high at 600 [using Sera]

I think most of my corals are pretty okay except for my 2 open brain who doesnt look too good. I wonder if it is NO3- problem ?

:blink:

• 1 month later...

thanks for all your advise.

The latest situation is that my NO3- is about 0.5ppm, however, my PO4 is still in the 0.5 range, and brown algea colony are growing like crazy on my walls and sandbed.

I think I have the dirtiest sandbed in SRC.

anyone know where can get rowas ? a lot of places sold out