wa_lanz 3x2x2 tank

wa_lanz

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW the red one looks like a micromussa to me. ;)

still think it's not a micromussa, but an acan lord. although both r from the Mussidae family and r easily mistaken. the characteristics resembles that of acan lord.

characteristics of Micromussa amakusensis:

Colonies are cerioid with neat angular corallites up to 8 millimetres diameter. Septa have 1-3 large teeth. Colonies have a thick fleshy mantle usually covered with fine papillae.

characteristics of Acanthastrea lordhowensis:

Colonies are massive and cerioid, with laterally compressed corallites of uneven height. Walls are acute: septa are thick, with large teeth. Columellae are barely developed. Colonies have a thick fleshy mantle which is covered by fine papillae.

The pic shown is my micromussa. see the diff? ;):peace:

post-34-1117208478.jpg

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

kurt cobain : thanks :)

bro LS : i don quite understand the terms used ... care to explain wat is septa and papillae?? :pinch:

and ya i can see the difference between urs and mine but at the same time im confused as mine looks the same pattern as those posted by JenDub in RC..

micromussa

or is there many variations of micros???

• SRC Member

still think it's not a micromussa, but an acan lord. although both r from the Mussidae family and r easily mistaken. the characteristics resembles that of acan lord.

characteristics of Micromussa amakusensis:

Colonies are cerioid with neat angular corallites up to 8 millimetres diameter. Septa have 1-3 large teeth. Colonies have a thick fleshy mantle usually covered with fine papillae.

characteristics of Acanthastrea lordhowensis:

Colonies are massive and cerioid, with laterally compressed corallites of uneven height. Walls are acute: septa are thick, with large teeth. Columellae are barely developed. Colonies have a thick fleshy mantle which is covered by fine papillae.

The pic shown is my micromussa. see the diff? ;):peace:

Bro how do you see papillae and septa when the polyp is out?? :blink::blink::blink: You can only see it when the coral is dead or when the polyps are shrunk and the skeleton is showing.

No time to research but see the micromussa posted in RC under the link provided by wa_lanz. Even micros have lots of variation and by comparing the piece posted by wa_lanz, I say it looks closer to a micromussa than an acan. And it's definitely not Acan Lord.

Bro how do you see papillae and septa when the polyp is out?? :blink::blink::blink: You can only see it when the coral is dead or when the polyps are shrunk and the skeleton is showing.

No time to research but see the micromussa posted in RC under the link provided by wa_lanz. Even micros have lots of variation and by comparing the piece posted by wa_lanz, I say it looks closer to a micromussa than an acan. And it's definitely not Acan Lord.

i do not see the papillae and septa, i did not say that i did. :blink: i am juz judging from the extended fleshes and whatever i can see of the coralites. micromussas polyps r closely knitted most of the time, look at the distance btw each polyps in Jendub's post.

i did some comparisons myself in RC for wa lanz pc, there r 2 great pictorial threads (sadly, both threads had been closed due to obvious reasons), 1 for micromussas and the other for acans.

as i hv said, i still think it's not a micromussa, but an acan lord. although both r from the Mussidae family and r easily mistaken.

btw bro, what makes u so sure that it's not an acan lord?

Acans pictorial thread in RC.

Micromussas pictorial thread in RC.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

i do not see the papillae and septa, i did not say that i did. :blink: i am juz judging from the extended fleshes and whatever i can see of the coralites. micromussas polyps r closely knitted most of the time, look at the distance btw each polyps in Jendub's post.

i did some comparisons myself in RC for wa lanz pc, there r 2 great pictorial threads (sadly, both threads had been closed due to obvious reasons), 1 for micromussas and the other for acans.

as i hv said, i still think it's not a micromussa, but an acan lord. although both r from the Mussidae family and r easily mistaken.

btw bro, what makes u so sure that it's not an acan lord?

Acans pictorial thread in RC.

Micromussas pictorial thread in RC.

:lol::lol::lol: Actually just want to say, try not to confuse people with these terror terms lah. End up everyone more blur.

Micromussa, acanthastrea, blastomussa or whatever mussa also can lah. Nice can already. Too bad it's not in my tank. :P:P

:lol::lol::lol: Actually just want to say, try not to confuse people with these terror terms lah. End up everyone more blur.

Micromussa, acanthastrea, blastomussa or whatever mussa also can lah. Nice can already. Too bad it's not in my tank. :P:P

no worries bro, i was not trying to confuse ppl with terror terms, juz bolded out the main sentences to highlight the differences, so easier for ppl to see. little did i know, i made thing worse. :P:p:p

btw wa_lanz, nice pc (irregardless whether it is a acan or micromussa) u hv there. :)

Austin's Birthday

.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

some updates..

water par :

Temp : 27.0 - 27.8 deg

Calcium : 440ppm

Magnesium : 1150ppm (still buffering up)

Nitrate : 2ppm

Phos : Undectable

DkH : 12.6

Salinity : 1.026

noticed slightly better coloration after changing to tropic marine salt and increase photo period to 9hrs...

and of course, pic is also much better coz photograhper is Jim using his camera..

thanks Jim!

post-34-1118569648.jpg