What jewel coral feed on?

QMoR

hi,

any reefers out there who have experience in keeping jewels?? Would like to know wat u feed ya jewels with....

:thanks:

Current Reef:

Tank: 1.5ft cube with sump

Lighting: Maxspect Razor 60W

Skimmer: BM Nac 3.5

Wavemaker: Vortech MP10Es

Chiller: Dymax Fan

Return: Eheim 1250

ONE LIFE MAKE IT COUNT!!

• SRC Member

I never own one, but I know they feed on phytoplankton.

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

i feed my jewel with phytoplankton(aquaz supreme blend) twice a week.

i also crush my formula 2 pellets and add in cyclopeeze and dump them in the tank once a week.

dunno if the jewel takes in the crush food, but my moon coral and sun coral certainly appreciates them.

;)

• SRC Member

I believe they feed mostly on phyto and direct absorbtion from the surrounding water.

Thus they live in water which are quite laden with nutrients in the wild.

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

I also feeding them with phyto but they seem to get thinner and thinner.

Don't know whats wrong...

Current Reef:

ONE LIFE MAKE IT COUNT!!

Sorry to use this tread. :evil:

I read lots of article on (Goniopora sp - Flower Pot Coral) and it was not recomended for aquarium. I like to know if anyone is succesfull in keeping jewels for more than 1 year (maintaining it's color and remain healthy).

Care to share :)

It will be great becuase i see so many jewel dying in the LFS even before it is sold.

• SRC Member
Sorry to use this tread. :evil:

I read lots of article on (Goniopora sp - Flower Pot Coral) and it was not recomended for aquarium. I like to know if anyone is succesfull in keeping jewels for more than 1 year (maintaining it's color and remain healthy).

Care to share :)

It will be great becuase i see so many jewel dying in the LFS even before it is sold.

i have bought it for one month and it is growin heathy no too sure what condition it needs but i give phyto 3 times a week and i put it near the output of the water where it has wave.i also add trace element one time a week .

• SRC Member

Qmor, jewel is after all a light dependent lps

its possible yr lights too low causing it to become thinner

how powerful r yr lights?

wonder:goniopora r tough corals but jewel is one of the easier of the goniopora family

all it needs is moderate lights and current and occasional feeding

infact, its been called hardy at www.livemarine.com...here's the link http://www.livemarine.com/1163954.html

i do believe many aquarists have this at home and they r doing fine so if u haf light and current go ahead

no worries :D

Below is the most detailed literature written on the needs and husbandry of Gonio. ;)

Goniopora

p.s. Always take reccomendations with a pinch of salt, especially if they are making $$$ by selling it to you. ;););)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Below is the most detailed literature written on the needs and husbandry of Gonio. ;)

Goniopora

p.s. Always take reccomendations with a pinch of salt, especially if they are making $$$ by selling it to you. ;););)

:off:

Actually someone PM me just a couple of days ago to ask me what is the difference between Goniopora & Xenia. :unsure:

Although quite surprised, I still answered that person's query. <_<

But what really make me jump from my seat this afternoon is to see that same person giving incorrect advise in this thread! :shock:

Anyway, I hope the new reefers here can differentiate the good advises from the bad advises.

All the best! :thanks::peace:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

I place my jewel somewhere in the middle and moderate flow.

its 4 mths old now and its in another reefers tank liaoz....dunno how its doing.

during its time with me, i can say that its quite healthy and expanding well.

gouldian,

you seemed like a newbie magnet!

all the newbies pm you for advise!

hehehe....when are you going down to ML to collect the griessingeri?

can meet you there...

;)

I place my jewel somewhere in the middle and moderate flow.

its 4 mths old now and its in another reefers tank liaoz....dunno how its doing.

during its time with me, i can say that its quite healthy and expanding well.

gouldian,

you seemed like a newbie magnet!

all the newbies pm you for advise!

hehehe....when are you going down to ML to collect the griessingeri?

can meet you there...

;)

No lar. Maybe because I can't stand them kena con by some people, people that are just trying to clock post numbers. ;)

I already cannot collect liao cuz my Pistol is now the king of the fuge I intended to add the gress and have so far claim 1 kill! So boh bian have to wait till I trap that bugger! ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

how will you determine "successful"?

6 mths or a year? or 2 years?

The one i just sold off is nearly 6 mths, my old one in my old 3 footer was more than a year until i gave it to a fren.

My experience with the gonio is dat it does not require strong lateral current. this will cause the polyp to retract back. a moderate current where the polyps can sway gracefully to and fro will be good, dats when my gonio expand the longest.

Gonio is certainly not one of the easiest coral to have, and like all others, it seems to do well in certain tanks but fail to survive in others. i do believe that overskimming will cause the early demise of a gonio.

just my 2 cents worth.

Actually someone PM me just a couple of days ago to ask me what is the difference between Goniopora & Xenia. 

Although quite surprised, I still answered that person's query. 

But what really make me jump from my seat this afternoon is to see that same person giving incorrect advise in this thread! 

Anyway, I hope the new reefers here can differentiate the good advises from the bad advises.

All the best! 

Thanks for the advise. I believe i can differentiate.

Just to share - i remember that i see one posting by senior reefer "Don't Buy Jewel"

I have since stop thinking of buying jewel then. if it is not advisable to have this in our tank, I hope to see posting by senior who has experience keeping in their tank for more than 1 year retaining color and health :bow:

Qmor, jewel is after all a light dependent lps

its possible yr lights too low causing it to become thinner

how powerful r yr lights?

wonder:goniopora r tough corals but jewel is one of the easier of the goniopora family

all it needs is moderate lights and current and occasional feeding

infact, its been called hardy at www.livemarine.com...here's the link http://www.livemarine.com/1163954.html

i do believe many aquarists have this at home and they r doing fine so if u haf light and current go ahead

no worries :D

I'm using four tubes of dymax T5.

on the lightings abt four hours a day,

Is it sufficient?

Current Reef:

ONE LIFE MAKE IT COUNT!!

• SRC Member
no offence bro remus.... i think feeding 3 times a wk is abit too much...i only feed my corals once a week..mine corals r moderately stocked in a 2ft tank...too much planktons will result in high nitrate levels(correct me if im wrong) :peace:

not too sure but sure will take note of your advice and check the nitrate thanks

• SRC Member

the commmon green jewel... i think its goniopora stokesi is a big no no cause this genus has a super poor captive survival. these are free living unattached in nutrien laden environments...NOT the reef and this is the number 1reason for their poor survival...

our reef tank just does not meet their demands....low nutrients and the removal of certain trace elements due to overskiming, low feeding to avoid nitrate buildup. this is not the same environment where the goniopora comes from.

but that doesnt mean u cant find them in reef patches. some gonios are encrusting and come attached to liverocks. for example the red ones. i find that their encrusting rather than free living

however certain goniopora genus tend to fair better.... the red ones are the hardiest IMO..... just make sure ur gonioporas get a fair amount of food..... a little every other day is better than once a week.... they also prefer calmer waters and not an area of high water movement where most lps/sps prefer......

and yes gonios feed on phyto

gd luck with ur gonios :peace:

btw this whole thing is entirely my opinion and from my expirience with them ;) every1 has their own opinion :P

how deep is yr tank?

4 hours i dun think is enough

bro...wen growing in nature the lights r at least 8 hours a dae and more often longer

4 horus is super short

my tank is 18 inches deep.

so how long do i need to on the light?

Current Reef:

ONE LIFE MAKE IT COUNT!!