Review of Oceanic Natural Salt Mix

KingFish

Limited Review of OCEANIC Natural Sea Salt Mix

I was looking out looking for new salt to change the water for my nano tank when I chanced upon a new brand of salt, Oceanic Natural Salt Mix. Its somewhat honest name, nifty smooth, and no frills packaging is such a draw that I lugged a bucket back, which accordingly, can mix up to 200gallons.

post-36-1105463613.jpg

First observations:

Aside from the refreshing smell of salt when I opened the bucket, I find the salt exquisitely fine. The patent-pending manufacturing which produces 'micro-crystals' is as claimed. It is sugary fine and almost nice to feel as it teases and falls through the fingers.

Its hard to measure how fine the salt is; attached is a picture of a pinch along a ruler so you can be the judge.

Something worth mentioning is that, if you noticed the miniscule water spots; they are actually the salt crystals which has absorbed the moisture from the damp air between the time I placed it on the board, to the time I readied my camera.

This is indicative of its dissolubility, which will be addressed later.

post-36-1105463958.jpg

Scope:

This limited tests will include two (2) subjects, one is that of a saltmix using tap water from my residence. Results from the test on the tap water will be published. The second subject is a saltmix using pure distilled water.

Equipments / Test kits used:

Refractometer

Hanna Test Pen calibrated with pH7 liquid

Salifert Carbonate Hardness / Alkalinity (dkH) test kit - expiry 06/2009

Salifert Phospate (PO4) test kit - expiry 09/2006

Salifert Calcium (Ca) test kit - expiry 06/2009

Salifert Nitrate (NO3) test kit - expiry 09/2006

Salifert Nitrite (NO2) test kit - expiry 06/2009

Salifert Magnesium (Mg) test kit - expiry undertermined

Preparations and tests for Saltmix with distilled water

Without the luxury of a clean room where I can work in a controlled environment, extra care was taken to ensure that the least amount of contaminant are introduced.

Distilled water is used to mix the salt. All implements are washed in distilled water. Since clinical grade is not readily accessible, a bottle from the local pharmarcy was used instead, which should be at least 99% pure, if not 100%.

It took only 8 grams of Oceanic salt to mix 600ml of distilled water to reach the Specific Gravity (SG) of 1.025. The SG was measured through the use of a refractometer for greater accuracy, instead of a hydrometer.

The solution is then sealed in a clean container and allowed to sit for 24hours before the the tests is conducted.

The measurements for the SaltMix after 24hours are as follow:

Temperature: 27degrees Celsius

Specific Gravity (SG): 1.025

pH:8.2

kH: 7.2

PO4: Undetectable

NO2: Undetectable

NO3: Undetectable

Ca: 480 ppm

Mg: 1500 ppm and above

Preparations and tests from Saltmix with normal tapwater

Tapwater is collected in a clean tub, processed with SeaChem PRIME and allowed to sit for 24hours before the salt is added.

The measurements for the Tap Water after 24 hours are as follows:

Specific Gravity (SG): not conducted

pH: 7.6

kH: Not conducted

PO4: 0.03ppm

NO3: Undetertable

Ca: Not conducted

Mg: Not conducted

After 24hours, or more, salt is added to water and stirred manually.

The salt dissolved well, with little settling to the bottom of the pail.

Amazingly, the water clarified within minutes, and almost zero sediment.

The saltmix is allowed to sit for 24hours for the satwater chemistry to reach an equilibrium.

The measurements for the Saltmix with normal dechlorinated Tap Water are as follow:

pH: 8.0

PO4: 0.03ppm

NO3: Undetertable

Ca: 480 ppm (first test yielded above 500ppm)

Miscellaneous

The bucket comes with an O-ring on the lid to ensure better sealing. It should inhibits moisture and prevents the salt from clumping. Somehow the lid is also easier to remove. Took less effort than opening a bottle of beer, which I will after finishing this article.

Some good-to-mentions

According to the bucket label, Oceanic Systems is endorsed by ORA. For the uninitiated, Oceans, Reefs and Aquariums, Inc., known as ORA, is the only all aquacultured marine fish wholesaler in the United States who has succesfully cultured ten species of clownfish, seven species of dottybacks, one cardinal, two gobies and peppermint shrimp. You can find more information at http://www.orafarm.com.

Value for Money

It is priced slightly higher than the normal brands, but cost per gallon is comparable to KENT and lower than Tropic Marin and Marine Environment.

* prices may vary. Price references were made from eAquanature's webstore.

** Dissolubility of salt will vary from brand to brand, and also dependent on water parameters.

Conclusion

All my livestock, including inverts such as shrimps and a starfish are taking well to the new saltmix which is 75% of the total nano volume. Overall, I find the salt's dissolubility and water clarification amazing.

The readings from the hobby testkits seems acceptable, except for the slightly lower kH, which is only logical due to its higher Ca levels. Practically, its easier and more economical to buffer kH than Mg or Ca. All other parameters looks to be similar to Natural Salt Water (NSW).

The airtight bucket is certainly a bonus.

Thanks for reading.

* Another quality review by Rumor

** This report is solely meant for hobby review, and may not be used in full or part, for any purpose beyond this Forum. The Author is granted full ownership, with no exception. Permission must be sought with Author before any references may be made to this article.

Hi Rumor,

Missed this kind of detailed review for very long liao. Great to have you doing it too! ;)

I have tried Oceanic too and I kind that it works better if I matured it longer than usual ie 3-4 days instead of the overnight!

The PH reads 8.2 - 8.3 (3 days) on my Pin Point Monitor as compared to 7.9 - 8.0 (overnight). I mixed salt with tap water decholrinated with Hagen Nutrifin.

I believe the maturing of the mixed water releases the Ca and Kh to the optimum levels. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Thanks guys, I do my best :)

Gouldian, I suppose you can age the water longer than usual if you can keep them from contamination. Unless exposed to changing ambient environment, I can't say for sure if it takes that long for the water chemistry to stabilise.

It has a lot to do with the water used as well. I just realised that my tapwater contains minute traces of PO4 which is probably since this is a new building. Wished I could have done a Silicate test though.

Distilled water however worked really well.

• SRC Member
Preparations and tests for Saltmix with distilled water

Without the luxury of a clean room where I can work in a controlled environment, extra care was taken to ensure that the least amount of contaminant are introduced.

Distilled water is used to mix the salt. All implements are washed in distilled water. Since clinical grade is not readily accessible, a bottle from the local pharmarcy was used instead, which should be at least 99% pure, if not 100%.

It took only 8 grams of Oceanic salt to mix 600ml of distilled water to reach the Specific Gravity (SG) of 1.025. The SG was measured through the use of a refractometer for greater accuracy, instead of a hydrometer.

The solution is then sealed in a clean container and allowed to sit for 24hours before the the tests is conducted.

The measurements for the SaltMix after 24hours are as follow:

pH:8.2

PO4: Undetectable

NO3: Undetectable

Ca: 480 ppm

Mg abv 1500ppm...is it abit too high??? :erm::erm:

Thanks William :)

Inferring from the other parameters, it is possibly slightly elevated, but that is what the 2 measurements concluded. It should not have much impact as it is nowhere near toxicity levels.

Besides, increasing Mg is as tricky as Ca without adding more chloride or sulfate ions into the water.