Advice For 4ft Tank Setup

WLSS

Hi! :)

I need some expert advice ... my friend oreadi has a 2ft marine tank, going on 4 abt 1.5years. He plans to chase his goldfish out of his 4ft glass tank n "upgarde" his marine tank :P . The size of the tank is 4ft(l) X 1.5ft(w) X 2ft(h). Questions:

1) What kindda filter system should he use? It is known that overflow system is the best, but he is not able to "convert" the current glass tank to fit overflow, unless he buys a new tank, which he does not want to.

2) Pls recommend the best biological filter system. Heard that some people juz use bio-balls, coral chips not required.

3) What kindda lighting system should he use? He plans to keep 70% corals and 30% fish. Is metal hallide a must? Wat abt PL lights? What is T5?

4) Seems that Titanium Chiller is the best choice now, or izit not? Which model should he go for?

5) Is undergravel filter a must?

6) Is substrate very important? Where should it be placed?

I have a 3ft tank, going 4 abt 4 months. Juz discovered tt the phosphate level is high :pirate::o How to remove or reduce it?

Appreciate your time n advice... TIA :peace:

Hi! :)

I need some expert advice ... my friend oreadi has a 2ft marine tank, going on 4 abt 1.5years. He plans to chase his goldfish out of his 4ft glass tank n "upgarde" his marine tank :P . The size of the tank is 4ft(l) X 1.5ft(w) X 2ft(h). Questions:

1) What kindda filter system should he use? It is known that overflow system is the best, but he is not able to "convert" the current glass tank to fit overflow, unless he buys a new tank, which he does not want to.

2) Pls recommend the best biological filter system. Heard that some people juz use bio-balls, coral chips not required.

3) What kindda lighting system should he use? He plans to keep 70% corals and 30% fish. Is metal hallide a must? Wat abt PL lights? What is T5?

4) Seems that Titanium Chiller is the best choice now, or izit not? Which model should he go for?

5) Is undergravel filter a must?

6) Is substrate very important? Where should it be placed?

I have a 3ft tank, going 4 abt 4 months. Juz discovered tt the phosphate level is high :pirate::o How to remove or reduce it?

Appreciate your time n advice... TIA :peace:

Undergravel filter is useless.......

1) u can try to cannister one. but do regular cleaning. also got some wet/dry system.

good too. when u mean overflow, is = ISO type is it? if it is, there's one that

just slot into the tank.

2) u talking abt system or media?? n coral chips?? wat's the budget

man? if budget not a problem then different, but then your fren dun want to change tank??

MH will be veri good for the corals. PL is not good enough. T5 barely make it. depends

also on the corals he intend to keep. MH need chiller or frequent top up of water running

with fans.

4) He need at least 1/2hp for the 4ft tank. anything else the chiller will overwork, n running

non-stop to bring the temp down. expect electricity bill ard $50 a month onwards.

5) Not really. dun see much ppl using it. myself include. others using it may like to comment.

6) ha? dunno wat u meant place where? ??

Get phosguard. Usually from our tapwater. n nothing much u can do abt.

get seawater or RO device. RO is quite expensive n will take time to

get the amount of "cleanse" water.

6mm for 4ft, cannot really make it. u going to add Liverocks n stocks + sands. too heavy for it.

• SRC Member

To answer yr qns in a simpler way:

Ans 1: get a overflow box from out sponsor,eaquanature, if yr friend does not wish to get a new tank

Ans 2: The efficiently of the Bios balls will be determined how it's used(wet-dry filteration), CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG. If not , over a period of time, NO3 will build up and this is wat we called nitrate factory.

Ans 3: Lighting use should be depend on wat u want to keep.

eg: softies like mushroom = PL, T5

Hard corals = MH

Ans 4: For his tank's size, go for 1/2hp or higher

Ans 5: Scape the UGF, that was used 10 to 20 years. Go for at least DSB(deep sand bed)

Ans 6: I hope I got is right, u're refering to the type of sand use...Then go for affordable coral 0 grade sand

Hope this helps

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

Hey, thks 2 dispar_anthias, bwilly and hotsoup :rolleyes:

a) Overflow box is something new 2 me, will chk tis out. Is there anyone who has used tis b4? Sorri, bwilly, I do not know wat does ISO mean?

Currently, my friend uses the top filter-system for his goldfish - 4 layers in all to put sponge n filter media. Juz wondering if tis system can oso b used 4 his new marine tank.

Yes, it will be good if he does not have to buy a new tank - save money on tis to spend on others! ;) Besides, it will b a waste if tis tank cannot b re-used.

B) Can tell me more abt Bio balls, or shd my friend not even consider using tis type of media?

c) MH lights - how many watts should he get for his tank? Some say depending on the height of the tank, some say blue light is more crucial for corals, some say according to the volume of water ... :eyeblur:

d) Seems that UGF is out ... so, m I right 2 say tt coral 0 grade sand is recommended for DSB, 2 meet basic requirement?

e) Substract - I have this in my top filter system. Should I put it in the water? BTW, I got wrong info from a LFS that there is no need to change water :evil: And so, after 3 months w/o changing water, I realised tt NO3 soar high up :shock::cry2: Now, I m trying 2 save my tank by changing water once a wk :cry: tt's oso when I discovered tt my phosphate was high too. What is RO? Sorry, many of these acronyms are "aliens" 2 me :upsidedown: ...

BTW, chked tt the tank is at least 8mm, so shd b safe.

:peace:

• SRC Member

a) Overflow box is something new 2 me, will chk tis out. Is there anyone who has used tis b4? Sorri, bwilly, I do not know wat does ISO mean?

Currently, my friend uses the top filter-system for his goldfish - 4 layers in all to put sponge n filter media. Juz wondering if tis system can oso b used 4 his new marine tank.

Yes, it will be good if he does not have to buy a new tank - save money on tis to spend on others! Besides, it will b a waste if tis tank cannot b re-used.

Can tell me more abt Bio balls, or shd my friend not even consider using tis type of media?

Not consider

c) MH lights - how many watts should he get for his tank? Some say depending on the height of the tank, some say blue light is more crucial for corals, some say according to the volume of water ...

According to what u want to keep

d) Seems that UGF is out ... so, m I right 2 say tt coral 0 grade sand is recommended for DSB, 2 meet basic requirement?

Not needed for basic requirement. But recommended

e) Substract - I have this in my top filter system. Should I put it in the water? BTW, I got wrong info from a LFS that there is no need to change water And so, after 3 months w/o changing water, I realised tt NO3 soar high up Now, I m trying 2 save my tank by changing water once a wk tt's oso when I discovered tt my phosphate was high too. What is RO? Sorry, many of these acronyms are "aliens" 2 me ...

reverse osmosis.Juz try Throwing a poly filter into your filter, and some rowaphos and carbon and change water 20% a week. until everything becomes fine .

BTW, chked tt the tank is at least 8mm, so shd b safe.

No. Totally not safe. 12mm for a 4ft with 2ft height is optimum

• SRC Member
1st and foremost...

wats the thickness of the tank?

if its for freshwater...its most probably 6mm...

which could be risky and is not recommended.

i dun understand.... why ahz???

enlighten me???

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

A living example of a 4 feet tank using 6mm glass is mine!

4feet X 18inch X 18 inch classic.

Pls take note that I dun use alot of liverocks and I only have 10kg of sand in it. The water level is only up to 16 inches. :D

Come to think of it I should really have reinforced the bracings... Oh well...hope it holds. Been alright for 5 months already. Previously used 1 year for freshwater planted. IMO the freshwater tank was heavier cause it had higher water level and about 40-50 kg of sand in it. :blink:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Hi FuEl, glad 2 know tt some1 outthere has a 4ft tank wif juz 6mm thickness glass n is holding on well :lol: My friend's 4ft tank is 10mm thick, n 4 "safety" reason, plans 2 juz fill it 2/3 full. Wat worries him is the "glue" used 2 hold the glasses together - dubious if the "glue" can withstand saltwater. O yes, he will chk wif the LFS on the "glue" ... in the meanwhile, anybody has any good advice?

Thks SpiderOne for advising on how to save my tank.

Can anyone wif a 4ft tank share with me his/her experience for lighting setup, based on 70% coral n 30% fish? Can show pics even better :P

M I right 2 say tt bio balls n coral chips can be replaced by DSB?

10Q :peace: