Clams from Manila ? Any problem with customs dept

joeyttk

hi bros,

I am in manila and one of the local guys going to bring me to the marine's petshop areas!

I am thinking if I find some clams, can I buy them and hand carry back ? What's the issue going to be ? I am thinking of maybe maximum 1 clam [coz the fate of my current giant squas is still uncertain and I still have some problem with my water]

Does anyone tried this before ? Which immigrations/customs will be causing the problem ? Or can I just fed-ex it back ?

thanks, and please give me any advise especially those who had done it before. Just curious how LFS get theirs in.

good luck situation: walk through without genna checked.

bad luck situation: genna checked and after some interrogation and warning, clam confiscated

quite bad luck: genna checked and after interrogation and confiscation of clam, genna fined.

extremely bad luck: genna checked, interrogation and confiscation, on the NEWPAPER pending trial :P:lol:

just kidding

• SRC Member

ask ur local friend to bring u to Cartimar, Makati where there are two streets full of fish shops, not that impressive though but prices are good. Dont hope to much for exotic stuffs, but there are lotsa lps and fishes.....

other than that, try the marine farms at Paranaque, they do exports worldwide and u might get a good deal w them.

This is provided that livestocks u r bringing in are non-cites or u will have problem in bringing it out and in Singapore.

Hi,

Please see the below extracted reply on my enquiry to AVA on the importation of giant clams, hoped this is helpful:

"The Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore allows a

traveller to bring in 5 pieces of giant clams, without the need for an import

licence or inward declaration permit. However, all import of giant clams require

CITES permits from both the exporting and importing countries.

You may download the application form from the AVA website

at www.ava.gov.sg. All applications for CITES import permit must

be accompanied by a copy of the CITES export/re-export permit from

the exporing country. The applicants may fax the application forms

and supporting documents to the CITES Section at fax: 63257646. Upon

Customs clearance of the consignment, the ORIGINAL CITES export/re-export

permit must be submitted to the CITES Section at 5 Maxwell Road, Tower Block

MND Complex, #02-00 S(069110)."

Regards...

Dotty

thanks a zill bro, so it looks like the trouble are with the philippines gov. their airport has super strigent checks, and with the ban, it will be quite unlikely I can get the CITE export permit from them.....

hmm.. that's really too bad!!

I will be going to hanoi after CNY. Wonder if there is any ban by the government there? Any bro tried hanoi ?

if all else fail, will have to rely on the lfs to bring it in leow

thanks a zill bro, so it looks like the trouble are with the philippines gov. their airport has super strigent checks, and with the ban, it will be quite unlikely I can get the CITE export permit from them.....

hmm.. that's really too bad!!

I will be going to hanoi after CNY. Wonder if there is any ban by the government there? Any bro tried hanoi ?

if all else fail, will have to rely on the lfs to bring it in leow

hanoi... vietnam tear drops loh... many in singapore what unless you can get those colour ones

• SRC Member
ask ur local friend to bring u to Cartimar, Makati where there are two streets full of fish shops, not that impressive though but prices are good. Dont hope to much for exotic stuffs, but there are lotsa lps and fishes.....

other than that, try the marine farms at Paranaque, they do exports worldwide and u might get a good deal w them.

This is provided that livestocks u r bringing in are non-cites or u will have problem in bringing it out and in Singapore.

tats the right advice... :P trust me.... :lol:

okay, looks tough as it is...

maybe I will go down to ML when I am back and get the exotic stuff from them.... other than that, I think my heart will not die until I see what's the LFS at manila is really like... really hoping to get the good clams just like the good old days.

anyway, I went to quite a few fish shop on my company expense. I also checked with an exporter but it is a definite strict no-no when it comes to clams.

they dun even have other means/improper ways of exporting it.

so looks like no choice but to depends on singapore LFS leow.

I read a Knop article, there are pictures of many clams out of the water, which are sold for food.

When I speak to Phillipinos who lives next to the ocean they all know clam as food.

They all eat it, but when it comes to taking one from Phillipines abroad, Knop says they wont let you even take one, and stop ya at the airport.

Kinda weired.

I'm also wondering what are they doing there with their clams farms.

If you read the book Giant Clams by Knop, ya'll see he's refering there clam hatcheries in Phillipines, but in all my years in this hobby I never encountered a Clam for the Phillipines cultured or wild....strange.

• SRC Member
I read a Knop article, there are pictures of many clams out of the water, which are sold for food.

When I speak to Phillipinos who lives next to the ocean they all know clam as food.

They all eat it, but when it comes to taking one from Phillipines abroad, Knop says they wont let you even take one, and stop ya at the airport.

Kinda weired.

I'm also wondering what are they doing there with their clams farms.

If you read the book Giant Clams by Knop, ya'll see he's refering there clam hatcheries in Phillipines, but in all my years in this hobby I never encountered a Clam for the Phillipines cultured or wild....strange.

can u verify what kind of clam they eat for food? ;)

never heard Filipinos eating maximas, croceas nor deresas.......