War of the corals

DeepBlue

Reefing for quite a while....... has mixed and matched corals andd learnt quite a bit...also documented some war pics...wonder anyone else do that..like me B)

here is a recent pic of my elegance tug of war with its neighbour :evil:

post-7-1107187070.jpg

• SRC Member

I used to have a rock of green zoos with 2 GBTA on it (got from reefer here) that are always having a tussle war with each other to get more light. Dun have a pic of them in war... but this is the closest pic I can dig from my old tank archives.

post-7-1107188222.jpg

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member
Deepblue,

looks like your elegant is being bashed by your red lobo.

Actually red lobo the sting quite power .... it will adsorb

and dissolve the neighbour's flesh if possible.

My green brain was 'dissolved' by my lobo.

Not sure if his red lobo's sting is powerful or not, but just 2 days ago when dip my whole arm in to adjust liverocks in my tank, i accidently brush against my elegance's and hammer's tentacles the next thing i notice after drying my arms is a big patch of small little red spots on the skin of my arm.. itchy... wonder who's work is it. :blink::blink:

• SRC Member
sorry ah...tagging on this thread since I would like to ask something related  :P  :paiseh:

Is it true same type of corals are immune to each other stings? eg.

buttons vs buttons

mushrooms vs mushrooms?

What about mushrooms vs buttons?  :paiseh:

Hi Ocellaris_Clownfish

I believe yes, I have done some research sometime back and asked some of the senior reefers... corals of the same family do not sting each other. You can place all Bubble corals packed close to each other and don't think they will have any problem.

As for my case, i have a huge Hammer sitting closely next to a frogspawn (tentacle touching each other) and so far no problem. Also, a few of my leather corals are packed closely and so far so good. :)

As for other corals you need to do some research and monitor closely even if literature says its OK to place next to each other.

Coral Family: Caryophylliidae

Frogspawn, Hammer, Bubble, Torch, Elegance, Fox

Coral Family: Fungiidae

Tongue, Plate

hammer sting very badly. I have a 16 head hammer and when I was stunk by it when adjusting. Its being 3 weeks now and I am still bruised [self-inflicted scratching]

And yes, coral from same fam dun stings. I squeezed a few branches together and they are pretty okay [eg. my lobo with hammer]

hammer sting very badly. I have a 16 head hammer and when I was stunk by it when adjusting. Its being 3 weeks now and I am still bruised [self-inflicted scratching]

And yes, coral from same fam dun stings. I squeezed a few branches together and they are pretty okay [eg. my lobo with hammer]

lobophyllia and hammer not same family leh.....

35cents: If i am not wwrong, those are not GBTA... Those are the pest mojano anemone

• SRC Member
35cents: If i am not wwrong, those are not GBTA... Those are the pest mojano anemone

Why are they consider pest? They are rather nice looking ie like little flower leh.....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Thanks DA for identifying it... haha no wonder my previous clowns dun take to it no matter how hard I "drive" them there. I think I should tell my friend about this cos I it gave him. :P

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member
Cos they spread like wildfire (if they are indeed mojano anemone). Their sting is also one of the most powerful, so any corals that come in contact with them, say bye2.

How they spread? 'cos I had one in my tank leh..... It is stinging one of the baby leather coral that sprung behind my big leather..... and I don't know how to move him away.....

• SRC Member

How they spread? 'cos I had one in my tank leh..... It is stinging one of the baby leather coral that sprung behind my big leather..... and I don't know how to move him away.....

1. If you can remove the rock, remove the rock and leave it in the open for a while. Genreally they will try to escape and drop out of the rock.

2. If it's on the glass wall of the tank, use a plastic scrapper/ credit card to remove it.

The above methods are just some ways to remove them. Anyway, for fyi I have 3 of them in my tank and so far so good. They don't dsiturb my corals.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

Hi Neokn!

Pt 1 not an option for me 'cos the rock that he is on is also the rock where the whole toadstool leather coral is...... Currently he is only stinging the baby leather which I think at most lose that little one....... What I am concern will he spread like wildfire as AlfaRomeo said and how?

PS: If it is consider a pest, and only one in tank then ok lah.... some more he is not really doing any harm apart from the position he stand which sting the baby leather..... if only I can get him to a better postion.....

• SRC Member
I think the spilts into into 2 then 4 then 8 then 16... u get the idea. and its not stationary, it can and will move anywhere it wants to. 

Huh? He is in my tank for many months liao..... I don't see him split.... Or u mean accidentally cut him into 2?

I think it is a good idea for DeepBlue to start this thread so that we can share real experiences of conflicts between corals.

Here's my contribution -- the Bubble Coral extended its tentacle (about 3") to strike a nearby Button Polyp. Ouch! :(:pinch:

wah that zoos kana attack sure is nice.. can pass me frag ;)

• SRC Member

WT*! well, guess alot of things we just gotta leave the corals to decide whats best for themselves, UNLESS we get invaded by apitasias then that we gotta sound the drums of war, carry our kalks, hold our syringes and blast them back into space with ph 14 and immense DKH. :lol::lol:

Anyway is it a problem that there are constant warfares taking place in a tank? Will the chemicals released by the corals effectively removed by skimming? Cause i always have this thought that the chemicals released by them are not effectively removed causing greater stress to my corals in the near future. ;)

those who have acans in your tank...watch out as they are very aggressive

They'll reach out and pull the meaty part of the other LPS to its mouth...

yet they are delicate...one of my smaller hot pink yuma flew onto it...well...they killed each other .... :erm:

post-7-1107960716.jpg