seamonkee

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Technically, bro lightning strike is right...

2.25ft = 27 inches....

Just 3inches short of 30 inches...

Guess what, I did the "reach the bottom" test and I can reach it!!!!

Yeah...

BTW, the tank thickness is 12mm.... with full eurobracing... and a strip of glass on each sides & bottom joints covering the silicon joints...

I think it's not 2.25ft, but shorter. not sure lah I remember him telling me his tank is shorter.

then again, I don't know. what is 27 inches anyway. :P

terrence,

12" = 1ft

27" = 2.25ft

:P

seamonkee,

info on silicon sealant???

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

terrence,

12" = 1ft

27" = 2.25ft

:P

seamonkee,

info on silicon sealant???

Silicon sealant...

He used back Dow Corning... but added a thick long glass strip to cover (diagonally) before adding another layer... so should be safe...

There is no 100% in anything.... I stick back to 795 but the trick is on the glass strip.... Yeah... if it still leaks.... then the most change tank.... :lol::D:lol:

post-34-1107279093.jpg

He used back Dow Corning... but added a thick long glass strip to cover (diagonally) before adding another layer... so should be safe...

good thinking by Han Teck. ;) Best wishes to ur new setup. :)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
Technically, bro lightning strike is right...

2.25ft = 27 inches....

Just 3inches short of 30 inches...

Guess what, I did the "reach the bottom" test and I can reach it!!!!

Yeah...

BTW, the tank thickness is 12mm.... with full eurobracing... and a strip of glass on each sides & bottom joints covering the silicon joints...

reaching the bottom is one thing...

the thing is... are you able to lift up heavy things that are sitting on the bottom...

my tank... 3 feet deep.... with prob at most... 2 inches of sand... i cant reach it in first place!!!!

but it is in my considerations for my next tank... heehee...

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

Planning for softies + feather dusters + coco worms...

Question for lighting...

I have six tubes of Dymax T5s as lighting.... they are in twin fitting (meaning 3 sets)... and each has its own timer..

The combination of lights are:

Set 1) 12k white + 1 actinic blue

Set 2) 12k white x2

Set 3) actinic blue x2

I want to simulate daylight and night glow and yeah, save energy (since my wife and I will be out working) + good light conditions for my softies.... How do u think I should set my light timing?

I was thinking of this...

9:00am to 12:00pm (Only Set 1 is on)

12:00pm to 3:00pm (Set 2 & 3 is on)

3:00pm to 6:00pm (Only Set 1 is on)

6:00pm to 9:00pm (Only Set 3 is on)

What do u guys think?

Is there a better way?

• SRC Member
if u want to add tube worms, can't have any butterflyfishes for the FOWLR tank.

I know that.... what fish is compatible or not... <_<

Planning on Tangs.... but thks for the reminder anyway...

• SRC Member

why you go ard intro this fish :lol::lol:

yeah loh so.... :off::lol::D:lol:

I think bro neokn just wanted to recommend something african lah...

Knowing that my house theme is african... haha...

• SRC Member
Planning for softies + feather dusters + coco worms...

Question for lighting...

I have six tubes of Dymax T5s as lighting.... they are in twin fitting (meaning 3 sets)... and each has its own timer..

The combination of lights are:

Set 1) 12k white + 1 actinic blue

Set 2) 12k white x2

Set 3) actinic blue x2

I want to simulate daylight and night glow and yeah, save energy (since my wife and I will be out working) + good light conditions for my softies....  How do u think I should set my light timing?

I was thinking of this...

What do u guys think?

Is there a better way?

Why is it when u post a question... u get a dozen replies that does not relate to the main question? :huh::huh::huh: sigh....

Hehe... :P

Upz..... Anyone can help me with the lighting setting?

• SRC Member

Regarding lighting, it is personal preferences with at least 8hrs of full lights for corals. You can get it light up at the later hour ie 3pm since no one are home. And normally people try to make the light as if the sunrise, sunset...... Initially, I thought you are going into Fish only..... and fish do not need so many lights (if you are $$$ concerned) Another point I notice is that why you get 12k white light? Kind of funny spectrum which I do not know whether suitable or not. Personally, I will get 6500k type which resemble the sunlight the most..... and supplement with actinic blue.....

As for your eggcrate at the bottom, I think is unneccessary..... All the above is purely my opinion, you can get more guru's opinions.....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Noticed during the installation of the full tank cabinet, the right side is ripped off so that the tank can silde in (from the right side). There is a wooden panel wall next to it.....so i guess if there is a problem with the tank....need to dismantle the carpentry works to take the tank out...gotta be careful...

Nice setting-up pics :P

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
Noticed during the installation of the full tank cabinet, the right side is ripped off so that the tank can silde in (from the right side).  There is a wooden panel wall next to it.....so i guess if there is a problem with the tank....need to dismantle the carpentry works to take the tank out...gotta be careful...

Nice setting-up pics  :P

If it has to happen... it has to happen... so juz keep my fingers crossed.... :)

Worry only when it happens.. haha... at the meantime, juz enjoy my tank... It's funny how some reefers panic and worry day and night over leaks and in the end, dun really "enjoy" the tank...

Reminds me of a colleague who bought a new car and goes out to the car park every 30 mins to check on his car.... :lol::D

In the end, I wan my tank to "serve" me... and not me as a subject of slavery to the tank.... If my tank decides to "retire", then too bad loh... :lol::D

• SRC Member

Regarding lighting, it is personal preferences with at least 8hrs of full lights for corals. You can get it light up at the later hour ie 3pm since no one are home. And normally people try to make the light as if the sunrise, sunset...... Initially, I thought you are going into Fish only..... and fish do not need so many lights (if you are $$$ concerned) Another point I notice is that why you get 12k white light? Kind of funny spectrum which I do not know whether suitable or not. Personally, I will get 6500k type which resemble the sunlight the most..... and supplement with actinic blue.....

As for your eggcrate at the bottom, I think is unneccessary..... All the above is purely my opinion, you can get more guru's opinions.....

I'm not sure if it is 12k or 6.5k... Seems to be 12k that he mentioned.... my lights still in boxes... haha... but in any case, my tank maker helped me chose the light spectrum.. I double check again... Anyway, it is ok lah...

I was thinking of some toadstool leathers corals juz to "accentuate" the rockscape or bit... probably just one or two... heard that such leather corals dun really need good lighting conditions.... Is it so?

• SRC Member

PROBLEM!!!! Ask for 3" bottom skirting and the carpenter only make a 2" bottom skirting...

How?!?!? I was planning a DSB of 5"??!?! It will look "weird" with 3" of sand sticking out?!?!?!

What do u guys recommend? :(:(:(

HELP! HELP! HELP!

My sump compartment for refugium is only 1' x 1.5'... so it is does not fully support the main tank even with a DSB...

Sloping of the sand I heard is useless cause it will be levelled out by the current anyway...

post-34-1107357620.jpg

Hmmmm...Rather reef safe butterflies would be copperband butterfly and the yellow longnose butterflies (got 2 species).

To cover the additional sandbed that is exposed by the skirting, maybe you could consider black oyama paper? ;)

Hope to see your tank in person, do let me know when you are free? I'll be gone from Singapore in another....13 days. :(

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/