My New Tank (5'x2'x27")

seamonkee

• SRC Member
Very good reviews from the ppl who are using it. I dunt have personal experience with it but considering that it has CM's seal of approval, it should rock ;) Much quieter than the Artica 1/2hp commercial version I heard.

Well, still in the planning stage.... I will do more reading up and research first... including some home visits.....

My only concern is the noise than anything else.... cause my wife is sensitive to sound..... tell me about it.... u flash two MH in her face and she can sleep till the cows come home... but a single fart can wake her up... :lol::D:lol:

If only there is a supplier who is willing to loan me a set for a few days to "test" market.... any sponsors/LFS up for the challenge and attest for their product by loaning a loan set or something???

Anyway, there's no fish in my tank yet... so let it be first..... :lol::D:lol:

Patience patience patience..... :ph34r::fear::ph34r::eyeblur::pirate:

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Patience is the essence of this hobby....

I can wait one year planning for this tank.... what's another month more? ;)

So far no fish yet... but the tank is blooming w copepods...

But in any case, I am gonna do any parameter testing today....

Its two weeks now... ;)

• SRC Member
Bro, safer to go with titanium coils to be on the safe side. I know the copper coils are coated so there is no contact between the water and the actual cooper coils but wat IF sumthing happened to the coating? :)

Better be safe than sorry I say...

Then its time to change new livestocks lor.... :lol::D:lol::D

But my understanding is titanium exchange rate is less efficient than copper....

And the price difference is really damn high.... my consideration is to have a yearly servicing done and probably change coating or something on an annual basis.... Sigh.... In any case, wat I understand is that generally (any forms of metal) in touch with the water is not beneficial.... Does this include titanium as well? Er... does it mean titanium chillers ones not coated? Still need more advice on this....

On top of this, my focus is more on fishes than corals.... (More towards FOWLR).... is copper harmful (if it leaks) to fishes? even on prolonged periods?

Planning on getting a 0.75hp after much consideration.... More power... lesser run time...

• SRC Member

Okie folks... the cycling seems to went on well....

Here's an update of my parameters (taken today on 19 Feb).... last reading was on 08 Feb (those in brackets)....

Temperature 31 degree - Damn, i so need the chiller!

Salinity 1.024 (1.023) - Perhaps due to the hot weather faster evaporation or so. Will be resolved when I do the water change after cycling...

pH 8.6 (8.3) - Dun understand why it went up.. perhaps due to my dosing of dkH two days ago...

kH 13 (12)

Ammonia 0 (5.0) - Ammonia went down to 0 since last reading.... Good...

Nitrite 2 (0.0) - Good... an increase in nitrite.... shows that there is cycling...

Nitrate 2 (0) - Good... an increase in nitrate.... shows that there is cycling...

Phospate 0.03 (0.25) - Reduced due to activation of FR last week... good...

Well... will wait on before the livestock comes in.... :whistle:whistle

Patience.... Patience... Patience... :whistle:whistle:fear::pirate::pirate:

• SRC Member
where are the pic with fishes in the tank. Come on bro.... Can u wait for so long?>????? nice tankset btw

Now doing the stocking up.... :):)

Will "unveil" the tank once it is complete...

• SRC Member

The 1/3Hp might be cutting it very close in your case. The water volume is very big. It might have the capacity to slowly pull down the temp but it will take a very long time I believe. Try to go for 1/2hp to be safe. Also you need to tkae note that chillers will slowly lose their efficiency and its better to overspec it in the long run :)

Hi bro alfaromeo the last time u use ur 1/2hp isit good enough for ur tank?Don really want go for 1hp cos my lighting is only 3x150w .

6x2.5x2.5 (GEO AQUATIC)

Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000Baby

Aquamedic NR1000

Aquamedic KR1000

Aquamedic Niveaumat

Aquamedic Ozone

RM Fluidised Reactor

Tunze 6060x3

Resun C1000

Aqualight 2x250w + 150w MH

• SRC Member
With your heat load of just 3x150w, the 1/2hp Artica will be sufficient for your cooling needs but the run time will be a bit longer. My tank with 3x250w was also being cooled down well with the Artica but with longer run times when compared with a 4 footer. hth

Ok thank u for ur advice. :rolleyes:

6x2.5x2.5 (GEO AQUATIC)

Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000Baby

Aquamedic NR1000

Aquamedic KR1000

Aquamedic Niveaumat

Aquamedic Ozone

RM Fluidised Reactor

Tunze 6060x3

Resun C1000

Aqualight 2x250w + 150w MH

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

:D Here's unveiling of the tank.... with livestocks.... after two months.... decided to go reef afterall...

Sorry for the poor pix cause using a lousy digicam...

Fishes

Yellow Tang

Powder Blue Tang

Sailfin TAng

4 Dispar Anthias

4 Purple Queen Anthias (2 weeks liao and hope it survive cause damn finicky when feeding)

5 Green Chromis

1 Fire Goby

1 Yashia Goby

Invertebrates

4 Cleaner Shrimps

6 Turbo Snails

Corals

Hammer

Elephant Ear

Leathers

Sinularia (Is this how u spell it?)

Assorted Mushies

Assorted Polyps

Decor

Spongebob and Patrick Starr :D

post-34-1111487920.jpg

• SRC Member

I like the look ;)

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

The wait is well worth..... tank is stable in this way.... :)

My ammonia and nitrite is way low and nitrate is hovering at 5ppm....

Yeah, no algae cause I using FR.... no ich cause there's UV.... kind of like a "sterilised" tank... if u ask me... ;)

I'm careful with what I put into the tank... all fishes and corals get a hypo dip before entering the tank.... cruel u may think, but it is better to be safe than regret later...

No plans to add anymore fish or corals at the moment.... will see how in another 2 months time or so...

Great patience! :bow:

You will definitely be rewarded. :)

Anyway, nice work. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

My only regret is to buy the purple queens anthoas.... damn me to trust the LFS into believing that they were easy to feed...

Myself to blame for not doing enough research...

No plans to increase livestock at moment.... till at least the purple queens die off... which I suspect it will be in a manner of time...

Anyway, I want to give my DSB a bit of time too to mature.... :)

Bro, nice work you have there. i am envious. :D

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member
My only regret is to buy the purple queens anthoas.... damn me to trust the LFS into believing that they were easy to feed...

Myself to blame for not doing enough research...

No plans to increase livestock at moment.... till at least the purple queens die off... which I suspect it will be in a manner of time...

Anyway, I want to give my DSB a bit of time too to mature.... :)

wah sounds quite sad tt u r predicting the deaths of the purple queens.. :(