My New Tank (5'x2'x27")

seamonkee

• SRC Member
Hi Seamonkee,

I didn't see any hose clamp on your flexible hose connections, do you intend to install any hose clamp?

What is the size of the pvc pipe for the overflow?

Very nice setup.

Are u referring to those metal hose clamps or O-rings?

Nope... not using them... using large cable-ties to secure....

Is there any other kind of hose clamps that are not metallic... I really hate O-clamps...

But according to Mr Lim, securely tied large cable-ties do the same trick... u juz have to wrap it at the right place....

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Did some rearrangement of the wiring and stuff...

All powerpoints are not located in sump... but through a gromet hole on the left where all the powerpoints are....

Except for the UV light lah... cannot go through the gromet hole so have to use an extension... it is the only powerpoint within the sump...

post-34-1107503167.jpg

• SRC Member

Premix salt into the water and started filling in the sand this afternoon...

Amazingly, it only took me an hour to fill in 13 bags of Grade 0 and 1 sand....

No backache... why?

post-34-1107503250.jpg

• SRC Member

No backache because...

1) I use this pail with wheels to push the sand from bathroom to living room...

2) The good thing about staying on a low floor is that u get high water pressure... I dun have to stir the sand with my hands, the water did the job.... :lol::D:lol:

All sand in...

post-34-1107503373.jpg

• SRC Member
BIG QUESTION....

I always wonder if this affects the effectiveness of the DSB...

If I put water first, then the prewahsed sand, stir and stir and let it settle down by next day... Then I add salt... technically speaking, does it mean that the bottom of the DSB is in effect not saltwater? Then would it affect the anaerobic bacteria...

What should I do first?

A) Add salt and water.... half full... then add prewashed sand and then top with water and more salt.... and let the system run...

Next day take out some salt water and then add liverocks... which is which first?

Thanks....

Hi Kelep

What I did previously is I top up the tank with water first, then throw in 20kg of salt, then put in a big power head to stir the salt for a couple of days. You will see lots of salt residue!.....even on the glass panel. I use my hand to stir and wipe the residue off and leave it for a day or two. If you are using some expensive salt....there should be lesser salt residue.

After all this, then you throw your sand in. Hopefully you wash your sand first if you freshly bought from the LFS.

Now Landscaping time!!! :yeah: ......this is gonna take up most of your time. You can play with your LR till your back aches.......be careful ok......lots of reefer kanna backache because of that! :(

After you are satisfies, slowly you adjust the salt level to your desire level.....remember water will evaporate also so you need to take that into consideration! Put a mark somewhere so that you know your water level because as water evaporate, the salt level will change as well. Throw in some power head to circulate the water as much as possible.

Well...these is what I have done. The rest will leave it to the DSB to perform its magic!

Hopefully it is useful to you as a guide. ;)

• SRC Member
Looks good. You have lots of space in the cabinet- why not add a larger water top up container (no hurry) and maybe a kalk-reactor? Will make maintenance a lot easier for you.

Will do that slowly... one step at a time.... :lol::D:D

Monitoring evaporation rate before deciding on bigger container for tubby...

In any case, my place has a all year round breeze.... where I place the tank gets the most breeze.... :D

Will do that slowly... one step at a time.... :lol::D:D

Monitoring evaporation rate before deciding on bigger container for tubby...

In any case, my place has a all year round breeze.... where I place the tank gets the most breeze.... :D

Heard u not getting chiller... hope no afternoon sun! :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

just to ply safe, get a chiller will be better. Or place a fan on top of your fan.. ;)

i mean a fan on top of your tank. Normal house fan. i done that before. after which i place it on top of my sump. so that i can seal my table fan. and it works. On for 24 hours. Temperature maintain 28 degree. And my coral are happy. :D

Those are history. I've gave up these hobby 2 years ago. But after joining this site and saw every body tank, i think i'll start again...from scratch. :blink:

• SRC Member

I agree with DB. You will have to think about increased electricity, exhaust heat, noise, of the chiller. Throw in a profantec fan or two in the sump or main tank, and you are all set. Raise up evap too so you can dose more kalk.

One point about the aquaC. You might want to put an elbow or hose so that you wont get too much "splash" from the output.

• SRC Member

Just a few notes and update:

1) Yeah, there are fans located in the ceiling area.... Sump maybe later... Besides if I am going for FOWLR, I dun think I will on the lights so much... so heat is really not an issue...

2) I have changed the cable-ties to hose clamps.... after much advice given...

3) I have asked for a smaller sump cause I can add other equipment later... Kalkwasser, etc, dinitrator.... :)

4) Hard to explain the "dynamics" of my home"... interestingly, though the tank is located next to the window, there is no afternoon sun shining directly on it because I am located along the corridor.... and my unit is located in the middle of the block (Those corner units has afternoon sun coming in except my stretch)... I am so blessed...

Interestingly, because of the way the blocks are laid out in my area... my block got the most "breeze".... all the other blocks converged in such a way that it block the sun away and direct the wind (I think it is the sea breeze) to my block... and best of all, my unit is in the middle of the block (where the star is)!!! Hallejulah!!!! So blessed!!!!

Red arrows denote wind direction...

The block behind (Block 11) is exceptionally hot (behind it is BMW motors)...

post-34-1107575888.gif

• SRC Member

After 7 hrs of landscaping... Phew... good thing no backache!!! God bless!!!

3 inches shorter in height makes a lot of difference... easier for me to shift things around....

And yeah, though the left side looks "bulky" but it is actually not... there are live rock racks behind and a powerhead to move the water behind....

Lots of cave.... very difficult to cover the eggcrate and PVC pipes while trying to make as much caves as possible... phew...

I wanted the slope look because my tank view is from the front and right...

post-34-1107621771.jpg