• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Hi lori del,

your HS is a really nice skimmer. If I had that, I doubt I will upgrade (I doubt not confirmed hor).

Getting another German skimmer that size is not cheap. You really have to weigh out the livestock you want, the size of your tank, etc.

I have never used deltecs before, but my HS runs like a dream. I like the simple and rugged setup- the clamp for air hose, the no frills valve for the water intake. If all things equal (pricing and support), I will take HS. In this case, im going for deltec strictly because of the price. I will think that using the same pump (eheim 1260) the bubble size and density SHOULD be the same. Will tell you more once I get that deltec. :)

• SRC Member

Wow. I pop back in and look at the no of posts!!!!

The earlier ones really reminded of the good old days when Spiderone ran amok in the club. :) The flames were burning so hard, I could have sworn my screen felt hot.

But really, this Reef Club is the most prominent in Singapore. I am not sure about this, but SRC probably sets the standard for the whole of South East Asia. We have a few "celebrities" here that are well known in international clubs, and pretty well respected. i dare say that there are probably a lot more hidden dragons around. The Reef Club is a pretty credible act, so lets keep it that way.

SRC has been a source of valuable information that has allowed budding hobbyists develop and grow. I would not have been able to progress to my current (shabby) level of understanding without the past experiences and methodology put up by other reefers willing to share their mistakes and advice. So lets keep this aspect of the SRC. Many junior members are looking up to the more "mature" reefers for advice, so lets not spoil it for them. :)

• SRC Member

thanks for the reply...

Bro Riot, i changing from 50G to abt 150G tat when i worried my H&S will underskim as it rated for 800L only....

must save money and get the AP1003 liao haiz...

money money, will i get a share for the 1000Million toto???

GIve up liao!!!!!!!!!!!

• SRC Member

Hi Wei Leong,

can do me a BIG favour and check for me the width of your AP850?

Website at D&D solutions say: L: 390mm W: 310mm H: 800mm

Everything clears except for the width. So thick meh?The area in front of my sump is 290mm width. Looks like a bit short- I will have to relocate to alternative site within my cabinet if the D&D stats are accurate.

And hey, thanks a lot to you guys. Really must meet up and see who the hell are you all. Will pay for the kopi. :)

• SRC Member
Hi Wei Leong,

can do me a BIG favour and check for me the width of your AP850?

Website at D&D solutions say: L: 390mm W: 310mm H: 800mm

Everything clears except for the width. So thick meh?The area in front of my sump is 290mm width. Looks like a bit short- I will have to relocate to alternative site within my cabinet if the D&D stats are accurate.

And hey, thanks a lot to you guys. Really must meet up and see who the hell are you all. Will pay for the kopi. :)

where do u stay Riot?? i wanna see a AP850 firing up and WL is too far from my place... <_<

GIve up liao!!!!!!!!!!!

• SRC Member

Sure, Ang Mo Kio :) . But it looks like there'll have to be a while. Edmund says lead time min is 3 weeks. So give or take X2, so that'll be in like March or April. I do hope that Edmund will stock up on the parts, I hate to have an impellor break down or a pump malfunction and have to wait a month or so.

• SRC Member
Sure, Ang Mo Kio :) . But it looks like there'll have to be a while. Edmund says lead time min is 3 weeks. So give or take X2, so that'll be in like March or April. I do hope that Edmund will stock up on the parts, I hate to have an impellor break down or a pump malfunction and have to wait a month or so.

woh tat is much nearer than WL home, heheh

k bro i will remember yr word, if u still remember me, pld pm whem the toy is at yr home and up and running...

GIve up liao!!!!!!!!!!!

Fresh from the ruler :P

Height : 760mm

Width : 310mm

Length : 380mm

The width could be anywhere between 300 to 310 depending on the setting of the blue ball valve. When fully close the width will be 310 and when fully open the width 300mm.

You could rotate the handle of the blue ball valve so it face the skimmer body and that would reduce with width to just a few mm short of 300, probably ard 296-297mm. Maybe very tight fit for you.

• SRC Member

Sh1t.

Thats not good. Impossible to get it in without jamming the cabinet door- it wont close properly.

Looks like I will have to move it to the side of the sump now, right next to the

Co2 tank. Thats my "dry" area. Space not an issue there.

Thanks WL. Owe you BIG time (plus the fact you just saved me close to $1k) ;)

• SRC Member

What I worry is that it will send the new trend in skimmers. Then I kerna blamed, when its actually you and alfa's fault :)

Thanks guys. Thats what a Reef Club should be all about. Constructive information and advice, helping hands and great patience. ;)

After you start using your AP850 you'll understand what we meant by set, fire and forget.

Previously I could not understand why when some reefer here talk abt how good the deltec skimmers are. But after using it for many weeks I come to appreciate the skimmer. I am sure you will too :P Don't loose sleep waiting for the AP850 lol.

Very satisfied user here btw.

But please don't discount any other brands of skimmer :P

I also didn't do any research to find out what are the brands and types of skimmers can be used in our reef tank.

Choice of skimmer is really depends on individual preference and budget.

• SRC Member

Converts and all that term(s) makes it feel so cultish, so does convert(s) or convert(s) to be in using Deltec (from the "well-respected" reefers) say a thing or two about the skimmers other than vested interests?

For the cost thingy that Deltec is soooo much cheaper in Deustch Mark / Euro Dollar comparison blah blah.....go to the new H&S website and from the costing itself will reveal whether or not the charges for H&S in Singapore is really that high.

Example HS A 110-F2000 cost Euro 360. Convert to SGD x 1.65 = SGD 594 round it to SGD 600, and with the inclusion of all the necessary admin & transport costs, the NORMAL sale price at SGD 700 plus is reasonable. Less talk about the sale price which Sam tries to get for the benefit of hobbyists and enthusiasts at SGD 600 plus.

Of course like what Riot mentioned, the support services Sealife provides since its the distributor makes it more worthwhile as anytime it breaksdown, SUPPORT service is there, don't want a tank without spare parts and all for the skimmer and have to wait 3 weeks.

Concerning the copy thingy - gotta be more careful in what one say. Anyway, if one bettered in the other with similar designs etc...isn't it a good thing since such continuous improvements serves to promote advancement.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Anyway for the benefit of people who wants to get good skimmers, i think the following (in no particular order) from Germany are good.

1) Schuran

2) Grotech

3) Deltec

4) H&S

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

boss, the current EURO exchange rate is 2.15, no more 1.65. How I wish it is still 1.65 then we get even cheaper deltec skimmers :P

Okie we break down and do analysis.

H&S A 110-F2000

height : 510mm

Main chamber dia : 110mm

rated to 400l

price in europe: EUR360

Deltec AP600

height: 600mm

Main chamber dia: 110mm

rated to 500l (heavy stocking)

750l (normal stocking)

Cost in europe EUR368

EAN selling at $750

Deltec AP600 is still slightly larger :P

Now we compare the larger model from H&S and deltec and the price difference is even larger.

H&S A200-1260 EUR975

Deltec AP850 EUR 658

Both have similar specs, skimmer body (dia 200mm), height ard 750mm, in fact deltec AP850 is still slightly taller :P

It is a fact over in RC that some of the deltec users are well-respected reefers. We did not say that H&S skimmers are no good, in fact in one of my post in this thread I put H&S on par with deltec.

Why did I say that?

If you take the H&S pinwheel and deltec pinwheel you can see that they are very similar. Years go H&S just sells the skimmers for deltec and later H&S has their own skimmer brand and no longer sells the deltec skimmers. Do a search in RC and you'll read that thread. Basically the two skimmers are very similar, or do you need a side by side comparison? I put my APF600 against your H&S skimmer running in the same tank, let's see which skimmer stop skimming first? Since deltec is not on the list of 3 brands of skimmers that can be used on reefer's tank as mentioned by you then I expect H&S to outskim deltec?

In fact I for similar sized H&S and deltec skimmers I believe both should be on par.

Now I do not post some lame comments that only 3 brands on skimmers can be used for our reef tank, (Schuran, Grotech and H&S) without any hard evidence to back it up. I guess best way still side-by-side comparison if you still insist that H&S is still way better?

Oh do you need bubbleking to compare too since it also cannot be used in reef tank?