Shipment of Seahorse

chinmo

• SRC Member

Attention SH fanatics!

hold on to ur angbao money..... after CNY there be a shipment of sh! :yeah:

will update u guys again. :P

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coool. Waiting for dear Ones to come . Yahoo. do pm me when they come where and when ok , Bro.

Anyway Happy New Year. :evil:

New SeaHorse Tips from SaltyJo

So you think your Seahorse won't eat frozen shrimp?

Try this!

1) Make your feeding time the SAME TIME each day.

2) Buy a bottle of "Garlic Extreme" (liquid garlic capsules or a garlic powder supplement from a health food store works, but they do cloud the tank a bit, the Extreme is cleaner and comes with a dropper).

3) Each time you feed, introduce your live food in the tank in a net. Use the same net each time. I use a small 3 inch green net. Let the horses see that the food is coming from the net. Get them WELL used to that net! They should be meeting the net when you put it into the tank at feeding time. With each feeding, rub a drop of Garlic Extreme on the net before it goes into the tank with the food in it. Or if you are gut loading your live food, treat the gut loading food with a drop of garlic. I ' ve even soaked my live shrimp in shallow water and a bit of garlic, but keep it short, the shrimp don ' t like it. {Woody's note: Brine shrimp have lived several days in a refrigerator with only a tablespoon of water while soaking in 5 drops of Extreme} After a while they will associate the smell of the garlic with feeding time. Garlic is used both to boost the immune system, help clear out internal parasites, and as a trigger to train your horses to accept frozen foods. The idea is to retrain them, not to allow them their " preferences " .

4) After a week or two, once it seems they are well trained to their "feeding hour" combine a bit of thawed (make sure its tank temperature WARM) frozen food (mysis or artemia, depending on your horse size) with your live food. DON ' T FORGET THAT GARLIC! Once you begin introducing frozen food, the garlic can be put ON the frozen food Allow it to soak into food during thaw stage. Place the net in tank with both types of food - just a small amount of frozen to start. Make sure that the frozen food in the net is either in a soft current or gently jiggle it so it has the appearance of being alive. Hopefully you will have a horse brave enough to " snick " at it. Once they get a taste, they seem to keep at it.

5) As they are getting interest in the frozen food, reduce the amount of live food in the net until they are eating frozen only! After they are well "taught" to eat what has the garlic smell, they should eat both live and frozen without problems changing back and forth. Remember, the smell of garlic is their trigger! Once they are happily munching on their frozen food, you can begin slowly introducing small amounts of vitamins to the frozen food along with the garlic ON the food. Remember vitamins change the flavor, so start with VERY small amounts to graduate them up to the dose you desire. Personally I like Selcon, though the powdered vitamin from Ocean Rider changes the color of the shrimp, seeming to make it more attractive to the horses. Don ' t give up if this seems like a slow process. Even if you prefer to feed live, they should be trained and fed SOME frozen in case of emergencies (i.e. your ghost shrimp tank crashes or your order gets lost). {Woody's note: We carry both live mysis and live brine when available} Some horses will accept frozen right away once they associate the " trigger " . Others may take quite a while to get used to it. I had one take almost 8 months! If you have several horses in a tank and one of them is eating frozen regularly, ALWAYS offer frozen first! They learn from watching each other! Slowly cut back on the number of times you offer live foods as new horses are accepting frozen. If a stubborn horse is healthy, it won ' t hurt it to not eat for a day, and the hunger will encourage it to go after the frozen!

Once they are all happily munching frozen, as long as you continue with the " trigger " there should be no problem switching back and forth.

As soon as you have a horse accepting frozen, if you want to use a feeding station, you can begin training them to it by using " their " net to put the frozen food inside the station. If you keep the feeding time consistent, they will begin beating you to the station at feeding time. Give it a try, let me know how it works. I ' ll be trying this theory on my zosterae when I get them. =)

Saltyjo--------------------

• SRC Member

This shipment are with cities issuse.... all are CB ones(CB means feeding on frozens)... price wise i'm not sure too, even if it's 3 digit, it's worth more than paying for cheap WC ones.

for the first time, CB H.breviceps, H.bleekeri and H.kuda. the first 2 specis need chillers.. i'm getting the last specis mention, as i can't afford a chiller. :P

once the shipment (from australia i think :huh: ) is ready for release will update this thread asap. :)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

I could not get the red one in time @jalan kayu,sold out laio. Anyway, cannot afford too. Bro chinmo, please pm me where to get the SH ok. I need, I need!!!

And its ok for me to keep with coral right? Mine is a SH, goby and coral tank.

no offence to you. you very excited to have it but you got no clue of keeping it.

Regal angel,

I hope you know that SHs need an experienced marine hobbyist who can dedicate time and resources to care for and maintain them.

They are certainly not the easiest livestock to keep.

You need a strong grasp of the basic marine foundations and a clear understanding of their needs and requirements.

Feel free to ask fellow hobbyists here with good experience in Seahorses... they will be more than willing to get you up to speed. :)

• SRC Member
You are very very right !

I got no clue at all.. I was introduced by a lfs to SRC to find out more..

I love seahorses.. really.

Hope bro here can assist.

whoa bro..... slow down.... learn more about them first, example, like tanksetup, feeding and etc etc....

Watercircle called me today saying there is 4, 3.5-4 mths old Captive Bred H.reidi, feeding on frozens :yeah: if u really serious about sh, suggest u send them a email. :)

• SRC Member

bro chinmo...keep me updated on the sh coming...setting up my SH tank liao...now i am gonna be back in this " jiang hu " :lol::lol::lol:

but kind of thinking should i have two sh tank or one?? ;););)

regal angel: my advice to u is to find out more before getting them...they are not easy and requires dedication...they are also not an easy creature to keep.....and pls do not keep them in a coral tank....

coral tanks have high flow and the corals have the tendency of stinging the sh...sh prefer low flow or else u will see them swimming but at the same position for the next hour...also...sometimes the corals "sting" their food and when the sh eats it...in goes the stings too and it isnt nice for them...so best kept in a species tank

just my 2 cents :peace::peace:

• SRC Member
bro chinmo...keep me updated on the sh coming...setting up my SH tank liao...now i am gonna be back in this " jiang hu " :lol::lol::lol:

but kind of thinking should i have two sh tank or one?? ;););)

if u maintain them well, a few more tanks also not enough! wish i could have the breviceps! they so adorable! i like the giant bleekeri too! (nvr enough one! :P ) but pocket can;t afford leh..... <_<

• SRC Member
yar lor...breviceps mouth short short one...cute leh...and the pot belly fat fat...lol :lol::lol: good thing i have chiller...so can keep them...this time hope can succesfully raise the fries :P:P

hope u able to raise them :yeah: then i can buy from u.... heard this shipment h.breviceps and bleekeri VERY LIMITED nos only! ;)

• SRC Member
Die die must buy!! :eyebrow: Hope three of us can meet at the shop same time together to look at the SHs and plan for their breeding as a combined effort!! :D What say?? <_<

heehee.... i looking at kuda nia <_< ..... u guys got chiller can get the rare ones! B)

• SRC Member
Wah... managed to get such a good lobang huh... hehe...

Too bad, i am going to leave marine for sometime... If not i am sure to get some but kudas for 3-digit..

is it a bit too ex?

Cheers

Terry

3 digits for a CB seahorse is reasonable (to me) :P i spent more than a few hundred on WC sh, in the end still die on me...... :(

3 digits for a CB seahorse is reasonable (to me) :P i spent more than a few hundred on WC sh, in the end still die on me...... :(

Dunno ler... Seems quite ex... Hehe... Kudas not that ex before the ban... Wah biang, the price really rocketed so high...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Dunno ler... Seems quite ex... Hehe... Kudas not that ex before the ban... Wah biang, the price really rocketed so high...

It's Captive Bred one wor.... from australia... orange to yellow colour.... B)