Anenomes

Terryz_

• SRC Member

Anemones need plenty of special requirements so if u r not prepared to spenmd time & $$$ I would not strongly recommend it. Most anemones need strong lights and gd quality water. If u can provide the gd conditions then I would suggest Entacmaea Quadricolor (bulb) or the Macrodactyla doreensis (long tentacles)(not sure the spelling) but generally these r the 2 more common ones. Great to keep with clowns as well.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

Some lfs just insist that anemones 'easy to take care and can just use normal fl light on 4 hours a day'

but i read somewhere that they say that if using normal fl anemone must be place near the surface near to the light illumination would that be true???

i am abit sick of the reply of ' anemone need this n that n not recco if u blah blah blah' when wat ppl asking is where to find nice or good or cheap anemone. anyway corals farm have some nice green n red bubble tip at a very good price. but the red 1 might not for sale :(

post-6-1062683836.jpg

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself

HAI!!! :sick:

my anemone was killed by my pump!!!

HATE MY PUMP ALOT!!!!!

hey it is not the pump fault, instead it yours... nowing that anemone move ard alot, you should have do something to prevent the anemone from entering the pump such as cover the base of pump with a layer of netting..........

If you guys want to keep anemone, be prepare to provide alot for it such as strong lighting like MH, and regular feeding for it............ Pls dun kill life unecessarily......... :unsure::unsure:

I have been keeping anemone for 3mths or so.

they are delicate. need good light, water condition as well

once a while target feed with prawn.

if it happens to die in tank, got to take it out fast or your

tank will be polluted.

if light source in tank is not good, then expect it to run

abt looking for a good resting place.

If the anemone has a good host like my Maroon. (or

other way round, anemone is host. hehe) then

it will also helps, my maroon will feed the anemone

shrimp meat I throw in. while maroon will makan

the flakes I throw next.

Smaller clown or tomato may not be a good companion.

i am abit sick of the reply of ' anemone need this n that n not recco if u blah blah blah' when wat ppl asking is where to find nice or good or cheap anemone. anyway corals farm have some nice green n red bubble tip at a very good price. but the red 1 might not for sale :(

I think what everyone is concerned with is not just to give out information freely on how to acquire marine livestock but to check if the reefer is unaware of the housing and feeding requirements.

It's like someone asking where to buy a nice expensive chincilla and then not knowing that a chincilla is much harder to take care of compared to a common hamster. Or where to buy cigarettes and you know that person is not legally able to.

I think what everyone is concerned with is not just to give out information freely on how to acquire marine livestock but to check if the reefer is unaware of the housing and feeding requirements.

It's like someone asking where to buy a nice expensive chincilla and then not knowing that a chincilla is much harder to take care of compared to a common hamster. Or where to buy cigarettes and you know that person is not legally able to.

hmm...i get ur point. but i tot it would be more polite by saying ' do u know its very hard to keep or do u know the requirements of a anymony?' i find its kinda impolite to assume a person is ignorant of wats he gonna buy. but its just me ^^

opps...this is the newbie forum hor......hmm.

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself

hmm...i get ur point. but i tot it would be more polite by saying ' do u know its very hard to keep or do u know the requirements of a anymony?' i find its kinda impolite to assume a person is ignorant of wats he gonna buy. but its just me ^^

opps...this is the newbie forum hor......hmm.

eh anemone not anymony :P:P:P

Maybe the ones who answered the original poster knows what state/level of experience that he has and straight away gave to the point recommendations/answers?

Anyway, advice is advice... all well-meaning. Some have different ways to say it and some may have different ways of receiving it.

Do I need to 'handfeed' it? or just leave the prawn near it?

Place the prawn onto its tentacles. It would close up and engulf the prawn. One thing to take note...Do NOT overfeed anemones. They are invertebrates..hence they have a low metabolic rate. Excessive feeding might do them more harm than good as they have to use extra energy reserves to digest the food. I would recommend once a week as a good guide. The maximum I would go is twice a week. Also remember that two small feedings is always better than 1 BIG feeding.

Feeding too much can cause certain anemones to have shorter tentacles. Best is not to feed to much...but bathe them with LOTS of light. If the light problem is an issue...get a tube anemone. Those don't require lighting...but they don't host clownfish..and may eat smaller fish/inverts.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Do I need to 'handfeed' it? or just leave the prawn near it?

Place the prawn onto its tentacles. It would close up and engulf the prawn. One thing to take note...Do NOT overfeed anemones. They are invertebrates..hence they have a low metabolic rate. Excessive feeding might do them more harm than good as they have to use extra energy reserves to digest the food. I would recommend once a week as a good guide. The maximum I would go is twice a week. Also remember that two small feedings is always better than 1 BIG feeding.

Feeding too much can cause certain anemones to have shorter tentacles. Best is not to feed to much...but bathe them with LOTS of light. If the light problem is an issue...get a tube anemone. Those don't require lighting...but they don't host clownfish..and may eat smaller fish/inverts.

Got it! I have 3 clark clown. The biggest one already 'choop' the anemones. Thinking of getting another anemony for the other two smaller clark clowns. :D

Got it! I have 3 clark clown. The biggest one already 'choop' the anemones. Thinking of getting another anemony for the other two smaller clark clowns. :D

issit possible that the 3 clowns share the same anymoni if they r the same species? is ur big clown 3 times bigger then the rest? if so, i heard it will change it ###### to female if its a male. heard those clown can change ###### haha. n the smaller 1 will all be male.

issit possible that the 3 clowns share the same anymoni if they r the same species? is ur big clown 3 times bigger then the rest? if so, i heard it will change it ###### to female if its a male. heard those clown can change ###### haha. n the smaller 1 will all be male.

Not too sure abt the sharing thing.. i guess some does that cause i ever saw a few clown in the same anemony b4.

As for th ###### thing... yap, i read it somewhere before. Even if they really change ######, i also cant tell leh....