To Skim Or Not To Skim

dradttg

• SRC Member

Dear all, :bow:

I am very new to the marine world. I just set up a 2 ft tank less than a month ago.

I would like to keep both fishes and corals.

Some marine shop owners has recommended that I should add a protein skimmer for my coral but I read from articles in the internet that a protein skimmer may also skim away good nutrient that are required.

So what are your recommendations? Should I get a skimmer or not?

I do not have much space in my tank, I think I can only get an external skimmer. Will there be any danger of the skimmer overflowing? Are there any mechanism to stop the skimmer from overflowing?

Thank you.

• SRC Member

If you're intending to keep fishes and corals, i would advice you to get a skimmer. I believe many other club members will advice you to get it too. As for skimming away nutrients i guess you don't have to worry about that. It wouldn't be of a problem. Most think its negligible.And lastly, don't worry. There wouldn't be danger of over flowing unless your pump is not over rated...

• SRC Member

The benefits of skimming outweighs the bad.In fact,most would even encourage over skimming.Get a good one,it can be said to be the most important piece of equipment you will get.Most skimmers have a water level adjustment mechanism,so overflowing should hardly be a problem.

• SRC Member

Get a Weipro 2011 if u looking for a budget 1....

If u wan to pass on a skimmer, u must hav a very very good refugium.....

so it's either skimmer or refuguim...

U live where? In the West?

Go to ML look for Henry n he will give u pro views on wat pump to go with it... price there is good as well.... ( if he's free can even ask him for more other advices too) B)

• SRC Member

Hi, beleive weipro 2011 cost around $60+ without pump.

Has seen a "arco' brand of skimmer in RA**B** coting about $20+. About 1 ft in height and air pump driven.

Any bros can comment on the "arco' brand ? Not sure of the specifications though.