Beware reefers, of electrocution

• SRC Member

This morning, I had DIY'ed a fish trap, using a soda bottle. Wanted to test-capture my damsel. To put it underwater, I had to shift my PLs. Slippery hands that I have, the end with the eBallest dipped into the water. The lights shorted, and I got an electric shock. It was mild, fortunately enough, but it truly opened my eyes to the possibility of losing my life if it had been another electrical appliance.

No harm to the LS, as far as I can see, but I don't know if there would be a delayed reaction. Anybody has experience in this? Would LS be harmed by a short stint in electrified water?

I am going to get a Ground Fault Interrupter the first thing I come home from work this evening!

hey bro welcome to the " Club of Electrical Blunders" !

I've had such experiences due to a leaking powerhead.

I got a mild shock too but interestingly it does not bother the LS.

In fact they were all fine, fishes happily swimming about and corals well opened.

Only I got a shock everytime I put my hands in the water. ( Darn !)

Got the faulty powerhead out eventually but my opinion is this;

A low current in the water does not cause any harm to LS.

If you do suspect however do maintainance standing on a chair ( like I did ! ) and use a testpen to verify for sure if there is a current :)

Cheers

Archer

• SRC Member

Oh man, eletrocution..

I once was electrocuted - my PL lighting fell into my 2ft tank, in the panic that the saltwater was gonna spoil the light, i stupidly reach for the lighting :pinch:... when my hand touched the lighting, my hand just shook by itself and the lighting went off.. My natural reaction was to jerk back my hand.. I was ok after the incident but my hand was numb for a few hours.. surely it was a incident for me to remember :sick:

The lighting was ok after i cleaned it of all the water.. No fishes died because i was still cycling that tank when it happened, so there wasn't any fishes.. (I'd guess that any fish in the tank would have died..)

My lesson learnt was that (if possible) off all electrical appliances when maintaining or doing things in the fish tank.. :peace:

• SRC Member
Oh man, eletrocution..

I once was electrocuted - my PL lighting fell into my 2ft tank, in the panic that the saltwater was gonna spoil the light, i stupidly reach for the lighting :pinch:... when my hand touched the lighting, my hand just shook by itself and the lighting went off.. My natural reaction was to jerk back my hand.. I was ok after the incident but my hand was numb for a few hours.. surely it was a incident for me to remember :sick:

The lighting was ok after i cleaned it of all the water.. No fishes died because i was still cycling that tank when it happened, so there wasn't any fishes.. (I'd guess that any fish in the tank would have died..)

My lesson learnt was that (if possible) off all electrical appliances when maintaining or doing things in the fish tank.. :peace:

Hey, after drying it out, the light still work?

Hmmn, I haven't tried that yet. Maybe mine is still working...

• SRC Member

The GFI can be an independant unit, plugged into a wall socket before the power bar. I saw one retailing at about $30, in a hardware shop. I think its a GFI, though it's called a Leakage Breaker or something. Not too sure. Haven't got it yet.

Lucky thing for me, my LFS loaned me a subsitute set, but one of the tubes seem to have reddish tinge, like a freshwater tube.

Darn, I sure hope there'll not be any ill-effects. BTW, I only keep mushrooms, a toadstool leather, buttons. PL seems sufficient. All seems okay. Do I really need T5?

• SRC Member

Not too sure you need one as most of the new buildings comes with a trip switch, that's why some of you only got mild shocks with the power being cut off. Unlike old buildings where there is no trip switch (the powers goes off if there is a trip, or leak or even a fused bulb), a GFI is highly recommended. Better check with an electrician before hand though.

There was a case in KL recently where the guy was repairing his water heater and got electrocuted, his son saw him lying motionless in the bathroom and called his mother who rushed home. She went to touch his body and she got electrocuted as well, sad case.

• SRC Member
drop my fan into my tank, and sparks came out, imediately the whole fan turn hot, and i threw it away.

mine too, my fan dropped into the tank for like 10 seconds.

theres smoke out from the fan after i take it out.

but no electric shock and nothing happened to my LS

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||