Undergravel

i am using a 2 and the half feet tank. last week i just bought a 3 feet under gravel plates. when i put the requried amount of plates down , there is still some empty spaces (too small for 1 plate). the question is should i cut the plates or just leave the remaining spaces ? The other question is last time i rear (lou han) i have the over head filter system (box filter) can i use the pump that is included in the over head filter THANKS so much for your time

If you really want use UG...place a Deep Sand Bed over it...use the UG to help colonise your sand bed with beneficial bacteria. After your tank is cycled...disconnect the pipe leading to the UG...now you got a plenum. :D

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Hi Giant Bicycle,

Maybe you should consider other filtration methods, as UGF is out-dated and meant more for FW use. I myself have started with UGF too, but under the advice of the seniors here I have already discontinued it, coz UGF is more like a nitrate factory in the long run. Since you already got the UGF, why not reuse the plates and convert them into a plenum system (comparable to DSB) for your tank - definitely better than to use the UGF as your filtration. For plenum system, you can refer to the link here : Monaco System

You may want to try the canister filter or sump for your mechanical & chemical filtration instead. Matured DSB or Plenum will not prevent the problem of Yellow water (ie. water-tinting). Thus, you will still need a filter to solve this problem using activated carbon. The filter/sump can also serve to remove some debris from your tank.

As for the pump you have for the overhead filter - yes! by all means. You can use it as a power head to add to the circulation of your tank water. :)

Just my 2 cents ..

• SRC Member

I think if you're gona keep something more than 1 or 2 fishes, i suggest you get a better alternative for filtration and do as fuel says so that you don't waste too much of what you already have. If you want to use the pump go ahead. But i think you should get something else better than the UGF(Under Gravel Filter) and overhead filter. At least a canister.? ;)

owder Blue,Sep 4 2003, 06:22 PM] Hi Giant Bicycle,

Maybe you should consider other filtration methods, as UGF is out-dated and meant more for FW use. I myself have started with UGF too, but under the advice of the seniors here I have already discontinued it, coz UGF is more like a nitrate factory in the long run. Since you already got the UGF, why not reuse the plates and convert them into a plenum system (comparable to DSB) for your tank - definitely better than to use the UGF as your filtration. For plenum system, you can refer to the link here : Monaco System

You may want to try the canister filter or sump for your mechanical & chemical filtration instead. Matured DSB or Plenum will not prevent the problem of Yellow water (ie. water-tinting). Thus, you will still need a filter to solve this problem using activated carbon. The filter/sump can also serve to remove some debris from your tank.

As for the pump you have for the overhead filter - yes! by all means. You can use it as a power head to add to the circulation of your tank water. :)

Just my 2 cents ..

as a beginer , can i start of with the under gravel first i am just starting off with only a few clown fish without any coral

Don't just listen to me.... read updated Marine hobby books and research the Net... listen to a multitude of opinions and understand the LOGIC!

Following blindly can be equally hazardous as guessing.

• SRC Member

One simple reason is the UGF doesn't help much in filtration... The fish would be suffering in poor water conditions and may even die...

Just imagine yourself living in a toilet without flushing capabilities..

Clown fishes have life too... ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
One simple reason is the UGF doesn't help much in filtration... The fish would be suffering in poor water conditions and may even die...

Just imagine yourself living in a toilet without flushing capabilities..

Clown fishes have life too... ;)

i used to kick off this hobby wif the undergravel system, but now i have been using the overflow and sump method........but together i am using a reverse flow canister undergravel system............

if the undergravel is connected to the reverse flow method, is it better in this way ?

Reverse or forward flow... you are making the sandbed into a trap for detritus and creating conditions where anaerobic bacteria will never have a chance to thrive in. Don't you want a biological system that helps you process nitrates in the long run?

• SRC Member
as a beginer , can i start of with the under gravel first i am just starting off with only a few clown fish without any coral

Yes you can. But with all the warnings of the problems you will encounter later on- its not worth it. They will come.

As a beginner- can you be sure that you will only keep 2 clowns in a 2ft with undergravel for as long as you use that filtration? if yes ..sure go ahead.They will live long if fed properly & water changes done.

WHAT if..you see a purple firegoby, or a emperor angel or a beautiful tang or some blue damsels or green chromis or ......just a few more clowns. You buy them and this will overload your filtration capabilities starting a snowball effect of problems(& i'll leave out the details). High nutrients stressing fish...they get whitespots and die..not before infecting the other fishes who also get white spot and you buy replacements who also get whitspots on it goes.

(oh, btw- i don't recommend a tang or big angel in a 2ft...just used them cause ppl do buy them). Let's not talk abt corals yet.

Everybody started the hobby at sometime, they just trying to put forth the fascination it brings and how it keeps growing on you and the mistakes they made.

Some LFS use undergravel(only a few do) and pack them full of fishes cause the fishes are with them usually not more than a week.

And if you visit them first thing when they open the shop.....you can help them pick up the dead bodies. The better marine LFS understands abt stocking density and that's why they have their systems linked together to increase water volume.

Thanks everyone for your replies . now i am using a ehiem canister and together with under gravel filter . my fish includes 2 common clown , 1 african clown, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 half back damsel and a clearner shrimph (spelling) and this be done .. :lol::thanks: