The History of Reef Keeping

With the recent happenings of reefers going to cheaper alternatives and some organizations pushing for a frowned upon filtration systems, I decides to look up on articles on the history and evolution of reef keeping. :D

My search was promptly answered by Google which pointed me to this article written by Mike Paletta - (Aquarium Fish, Fall 1998, Volume 15).

In this article, Mr. Palette mentioned that although the concept of Modern Reef Keeping is widely practice in the 80s but the foundations were in fact laid in the 60s and 70s. However, these concepts were quickly dismissed especially in the US resulting the hobby stunted advancement in North America as compared to the Europe.

As time passes and technology and understanding of the needs of the reef increases, we have since moved from an era with damsels and dead rocks to an era with lush colours and different livestocks that can only be in the dreams of some of our pioneers just 15-20 years back. :D

We have also evolved from a simple under gravel system to a system that calls for dedicated equipments to simulate as much as possible, Mother Nature. :idea:

However, what some of us are observing recently is that there are some amoung us that are looking for more convenient ways out of these proven methods, dismissing advises or even proven studies done before us.

And although they might have successes at the very beginning just like the pioneers before. But just like the pioneers before us, they will bound to meet some obstacles that will be detrimental to their tank! :evil:

Some of them argued that they have keep certain corals in their system for 6 months without any problems using their methods. But have we really considered that livestocks especially corals have a much longer lives span than most of us? And keeping them alive for more than 6 months is just not enough to judge that they are doing fine. :(

I am not saying that there is only 1 way to Paradise. I mean without experimentations, we would not have gotten so far today. But before we embark into our own trials and errors sessions, I feel that it is necessary for us to fully understand, study and research what have been done before so that we will not going around like a headless chicken trying to re-invent the wheels.

Anyway, I think I have wrote too much, I openly invite all bros and sis to air their comments and thoughts here. :peace::D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Some of them argued that they have keep certain corals in their system for 6 months without any problems using their methods. But have we really considered that livestocks especially corals have a much longer lives span than most of us? And keeping them alive for more than 6 months is just not enough to judge that they are doing fine. 

I am not saying that there is only 1 way to Paradise. I mean without experimentations, we would not have gotten so far today. But before we embark into our own trials and errors sessions, I feel that it is necessary for us to fully understand, study and research what have been done before so that we will not going around like a headless chicken trying to re-invent the wheels

Wow.. good points there. I think this hobby evolved from earlier days because of the love of things that live in water... from my earlier childhood, the long-kangs have always fascinated me... yup I am one of those boys that would scour drains/moon-soon canals, low-tides to look for stuff to bring home.... its truly amazing what you can find!

I think there is something in most of us here thats, like a 'calling' if you want... BUT some here just get distracted along the way... I think some think their tanks as an extension of their home decoration and not as what I believe these thing should be, i.e. living life-stock. Nothing against keeping beautiful corals, just remember the responsibility that goes with such high-demanding life-stock is tremendous, and anything that dies is truly saddening, esp if its due to our lack of effort/understanding/experience.

I'm new to this, no doubt about it... but I've come to understand that there is more than one way of achieving success in reef-keeping and it revolves around what you want in the first place.

Remember, pls to let the love of these creatures move you to keep them and not the colour or its rarity or the quantity. However if you one of those that are into the love and the colour/rarity/etc of these creatures, then at least get the knowledge/equipment you need to support. What i'm trying to say is, know what you want, stick to it, (as in, are you in it for love or for the color?) and then get the equipment. Doing it the other way round is ok, jus a waste a resources only. & if you're not sure, go slow and let your taste evolve together with the equipment needed.

a young man decides after two young women, one from a wealthy family, and the other from poor family. the girls family will have nothing to do with their daughter after she get married off. If you had one choice, who will you choose if you were that young man?

.... so while its good keep all parameters at optimum levels, there is also a perceived value the hobby brings to you, ie if you are often bothered by why its still 'no there' yet, then you missing the whole point of why you got into it in the first place... you will never be happy with it.

Where is the love, where is the love.. remember the song.

• SRC Member

bros here,

Yes, I does bothers me also that there are some talk about going cheaper way or more convenient way of reefing. Personally I am not sure if these methods will work and do not have the guts to try out in case they harm my stocks.

Just thinking that if they really works well, why the reputable experts in the hobby say nothing of it in there papers?

Just my thoughts. Like the chinese saying goes, one price, one value.

What are your thoughts?

• SRC Member

Good write Gouldian. Of late some reefers have been rather extreme in experimenting with new ways to create a better environment for the tank. Not that I oppose to the idea of experimenting with new ways or ideas but I would rather see it done without the involvment of any LS. At the very least, the experiment should be done with a full backup plan of moving the LS into another fully functional non-experimental tank in case the LS are showing signs of stress or worst...are dying.

Me myself had been experimenting (although it's been proven by many reefers aboard, but I can't trust those hyped reviews) with the MM system I employed in my tank mainly to deal with undesired algae... something that I personally very much hated. Although it's an experiment that should not be of significant detriment to any LS, I do keep a smaller fully functional tank just in case "shit happens".

My main point is that a reefer can do what he/she wants to experiment to the tank, but at the very least do it without LS or if need to, should prepare an adequate plan in case something goes wrong.

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

Good write Gouldian. Of late some reefers have been rather extreme in experimenting with new ways to create a better environment for the tank. Not that I oppose to the idea of experimenting with new ways or ideas but I would rather see it done without the involvment of any LS. At the very least, the experiment should be done with a full backup plan of moving the LS into another fully functional non-experimental tank in case the LS are showing signs of stress or worst...are dying.

Me myself had been experimenting (although it's been proven by many reefers aboard, but I can't trust those hyped reviews) with the MM system I employed in my tank mainly to deal with undesired algae... something that I personally very much hated. Although it's an experiment that should not be of significant detriment to any LS, I do keep a smaller fully functional tank just in case "shit happens".

My main point is that a reefer can do what he/she wants to experiment to the tank, but at the very least do it without LS or if need to, should prepare an adequate plan in case something goes wrong.

Hi 35cents, I fully agree with your wanting to experiment and I strongly feel that if not for the Europeans reefers wanting to try out new methods to reef keeping, all of us may still be stuck in the trickle filters era. ;)

Anyway, hope to hear more views on this. :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

I beg to differ.Although there many reefing equipment out there(some costing a bomb), not all are as good as the 'cheapo' counterparts.Sad to say some reefers are making these companies very rich and some promote these items so that they get a cut from the sale.

Although reefing has come a long way from those UGF or tricke filter sytems but going back in experimenting to find what our forefathers may have missed out and improve it with the new technology we have now is IMO nothing wrong with that.

Of coz I don't expect to buy nasi lemak at 10cents nowadays.

Good one Reefbum. But do you think that those companies that spend tons of $$$ on research should ROI with their equipment by charging a premium? ;)

When you say cheaper options do you mean those that copied from the expensive companies? :D

No offense bro but I really wants to know your feel. :peace:

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

IMO, its up to us to point out to these people.

Its our mission to promote responsible reefkeeping and guide them along the way. Its no wonder that some will start to think of cheap alternatives as this hobby is expensive. Its a good article brought up by bro Gouldian that let us see the situation.

And I believe its also linked to your personal commitment and passion. Do you want a healthy and thriving reef so that you can enjoy and be fascinated by the wonders these organisms can bring to you or do you just want to keep a "marine tank" just for the sake of keeping fishes? If you are the former, then unless you are really short of cash, I believe that spending on the hobby should become something like a part of your lifestyle. No point keeping a reef when you complain about LS dying and algae blooms all the time right? ;)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

Wow.. good points there. I think this hobby evolved from earlier days because of the love of things that live in water... from my earlier childhood, the long-kangs have always fascinated me... yup I am one of those boys that would scour drains/moon-soon canals, low-tides to look for stuff to bring home.... its truly amazing what you can find!

I think there is something in most of us here thats, like a 'calling' if you want... BUT some here just get distracted along the way... I think some think their tanks as an extension of their home decoration and not as what I believe these thing should be, i.e. living life-stock. Nothing against keeping beautiful corals, just remember the responsibility that goes with such high-demanding life-stock is tremendous, and anything that dies is truly saddening, esp if its due to our lack of effort/understanding/experience.

I'm new to this, no doubt about it... but I've come to understand that there is more than one way of achieving success in reef-keeping and it revolves around what you want in the first place.

Remember, pls to let the love of these creatures move you to keep them and not the colour or its rarity or the quantity. However if you one of those that are into the love and the colour/rarity/etc of these creatures, then at least get the knowledge/equipment you need to support. What i'm trying to say is, know what you want, stick to it, (as in, are you in it for love or for the color?) and then get the equipment. Doing it the other way round is ok, jus a waste a resources only. & if you're not sure, go slow and let your taste evolve together with the equipment needed.

a young man decides after two young women, one from a wealthy family, and the other from poor family. the girls family will have nothing to do with their daughter after she get married off. If you had one choice, who will you choose if you were that young man?

.... so while its good keep all parameters at optimum levels, there is also a perceived value the hobby brings to you, ie if you are often bothered by why its still 'no there' yet, then you missing the whole point of why you got into it in the first place... you will never be happy with it.

Where is the love, where is the love.. remember the song.

Very insightful Madmac! :bow::bow::bow:

Sometimes we are so engrossed in our personal races that we totally forgotten that these are actually lives as well. Lives that the big G up there have empowered us to have take care of. :D

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

The impact of lost of precious reef lives by reef keeping is minor compared to what has been done by fishing industries, or industrialisation.

If losing of these precious lifes stirred negative reaction, maybe we should consider diverting some of energy to be a green peace activities . But if the frustration is targeted because of the impact it made on the local reefing community like driving up the price of LS , making nice LS less abundant, then yeah its is indeed frustating to watch what could have flourish in my tank now dying in others :evil:

If Darwin were to stick with the thousand years of unquestionable theory of all lifes are created by god in a perfect manner (during his time, in his society) ( nothing to do with religon , but just for argument sake), we won't have the theory of evolution.

If Newton would do the same, we probably still think that Sun revolve around the earth.

My point is that, these great discoveries and many more are done becase these people dare to venture out of the conventional thinking, against what everyone thinks is right, with that idea, they prove their point with experimentation.

So I think accepting what others already establish doesn't move us forward or backward, but doing something is is not yet established is a chance to move forward.

"Ah the joys of hearing a child say "are we there yet". One of my favorite lines, probably due to its usage in the greatest television show of all times, The Simpsons. This may be the question we need to ask ourselves as we enjoy this hobby. We all have dreams of the days when marine ecosystems will be cheap, easy, and foolproof. Imagine a day where you buy a fish (basically free they are so cheap) and put it in your tank knowing it will live for years. Oh, and lets not forget the advantages of easy to find cheap lights that last 50 years. Imagine glass and acrylic there never needs to be cleaned. Live rock with corals growing all over them for the price of dirt. And yes, I know we are all still looking for some type of salt water plecostomus.

Is the Marine aquarium hobby making progress? Does it need to make progress? To me, these are the questions that are important, and often overlooked.

Let's start at the beginning, where else? The practice of keeping salt water fishes has come a long way during the last 50 years. Recent decades have seen leaps and bounds of great progress in other areas as the hobby expanded into Cnidaria, Mollusca, Arthropoda, and a mess of other wonderful organisms.

However, the way I see it, the hobby is slowing down. How often do we hear a speaker or author making statements like "I've been in this hobby since 1962 and I can remember the days when...", give me a break. We can all see the changes that have taken place, but what about recent discoveries?

While many of us in the reef hobby are thankful for the progress that has been made, it does lead to some concerns. The point I'm trying to get at is that with all we know our success is almost, well, too successful. Thousands of people are now able to keep marine organisms and have them thrive in their ecosystems. Mini or nano reefs are becoming more popular and it seems that even simple little tanks are doing the trick. We have the experience and the knowledge from years past to thank for this. Imagine where we would be without the trials of protein skimming, plenums, bio-balls, sand, algae, mud, rock, lighting, chemicals, and all the other items that have come into this hobby.

But it seems that now we are at a standpoint. From my point of view that last 5 years have not seen the ingenuity and creativity, which previous years had seen. After the explosion of sumps and lighting improvements, nothing has happened. I haven't heard a speaker or author come up with anything original in years. In fact, the hobby is becoming boring. Where are the new ideas, where are the experiments? Most importantly, why does everyone have the same looking aquarium? Is there something that triggers our minds to say that a rectangle box, with rock stacked nicely along the back, having corals carefully placed, with bright lights, and a few fishes makes a beautiful living room centerpiece. It may be beautiful, but it just isn't right to me. For once I would like to see something truly unique. I would even settle for someone who dumps their live rock in the tank, straight from the box, and lets it land wherever it may land. Why the reduction in creativity and experimentation? My explanation for this is that we don't need it anymore. Or do we? Are people simply not trying new things because there tanks are already perfect? To me, they are not. As the wise philosopher Aristotle once said "There was never a genius without a tincture of madness". It is my fear that if the hobby doesn't allow and promote the ideas of individuals trying new things and striving for improvements then we will never make progress from where we are today. The goal is to make progress to a point where aquariums are perfect. So I guess the question is... are we there yet?

As always questions and comments are welcome."

Adam Blundell

President

Wasatch Marine Aquarium Society

http://www.reefs.org/editorial/index.html

• SRC Member
If losing of these precious lifes stirred negative reaction, maybe we should consider diverting some of energy to be a green peace activities .

Sorry, a bit off-topic...

Maybe fish, corals and marine inverts does receive lesser sympathy as compared to dogs, cats, minks or other mammals (many on earth too) etc just because they are normally percieved as part of the human diet and also their inability to express sufferings vocally or thru their uncute facade. Wondered if tunas and sharks can be trained to jump thru hoop holes or give off cute sonic click sounds people will give a damn about it?

post-54-1107833267.gif

• SRC Member

Sorry, a bit off-topic...

Maybe fish, corals and marine inverts does receive lesser sympathy as compared to dogs, cats, minks or other mammals (many on earth too) etc just because they are normally percieved as part of the human diet and also their inability to express sufferings vocally or thru their uncute facade. Wondered if tunas and sharks can be trained to jump thru hoop holes or give off cute sonic click sounds people will give a damn about it?

human will naturally cared more for creatures that possess qualities that we can relate to, thats nature. And to begin with, dogs are creation of human though selective breeding, customised to be "man best friend" how can we not cared more for them ?

there are easier way to bring attention of public to care more for sharks instead of training them to do hoop ( in fact i think thats even more cruel).

Just stop eating sharkfins and show them how the sharks are killed just for their fins can is a start.

• SRC Member
And to begin with, dogs are creation of human though selective breeding, customised to be "man best friend" how can we not cared more for them ?

Read somewhere that many men say that their lovers are their best friends... just hope they are humping the correct species.... :lol:

post-54-1107833267.gif

• SRC Member
Good one Reefbum. But do you think that those companies that spend tons of $$$ on research should ROI with their equipment by charging a premium? ;)

When you say cheaper options do you mean those that copied from the expensive companies? :D

No offense bro but I really wants to know your feel. :peace:

What I am actually trying to say is that there are hundreds of companies out there that basically jump on the bandwagon producing similar equpiment with hypothetical 'research' and passing off their so called 'justified' costs to the uninformed reefer.Of course there are a few that are right in their pricing which is proven in most of the skilled reefers like yourself.Bottomline is up to individual whteher he/she is willing to spend the money for such equipment.

As for 'copied' equipment, juz like copied vcd.If one can get a lower price that can perform as well as the original without paying premium, why not.Plain economics.

I sincerely like this thread that you started.In this way,not only we can learn about more about how reefing come about but also enlighten us the ways that ease up the pain in the pocket.

Nice perspective bro Reefbum. You obviously is a man that knows what he wants and stand firm by his decisions.. :D

Thanks you for your compliment. ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

IMO, its up to us to point out to these people.

Its our mission to promote responsible reefkeeping and guide them along the way. Its no wonder that some will start to think of cheap alternatives as this hobby is expensive. Its a good article brought up by bro Gouldian that let us see the situation.

And I believe its also linked to your personal commitment and passion. Do you want a healthy and thriving reef so that you can enjoy and be fascinated by the wonders these organisms can bring to you or do you just want to keep a "marine tank" just for the sake of keeping fishes? If you are the former, then unless you are really short of cash, I believe that spending on the hobby should become something like a part of your lifestyle. No point keeping a reef when you complain about LS dying and algae blooms all the time right? ;)

Cannot agree with you more bro blueheaven. Lets try our best to educate correctly when opportunity knocks. :D

p.s. But not like some other people anyhow teach. :lol:

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

The impact of lost of precious reef lives by reef keeping is minor compared to what has been done by fishing industries, or industrialisation.

If losing of these precious lifes stirred negative reaction, maybe we should consider diverting some of energy to be a green peace activities . But if the frustration is targeted because of the impact it made on the local reefing community like driving up the price of LS , making nice LS less abundant, then yeah its is indeed frustating to watch what could have flourish in my tank now dying in others :evil:

If Darwin were to stick with the thousand years of unquestionable theory of all lifes are created by god in a perfect manner (during his time, in his society) ( nothing to do with religon , but just for argument sake), we won't have the theory of evolution.

If Newton would do the same, we probably still think that Sun revolve around the earth.

My point is that, these great discoveries and many more are done becase these people dare to venture out of the conventional thinking, against what everyone thinks is right, with that idea, they prove their point with experimentation.

So I think accepting what others already establish doesn't move us forward or backward, but doing something is is not yet established is a chance to move forward.

Very informative bro huanjie, thanks for broadening our perspectives! :D Keep it coming. ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

"Ah the joys of hearing a child say "are we there yet". One of my favorite lines, probably due to its usage in the greatest television show of all times, The Simpsons. This may be the question we need to ask ourselves as we enjoy this hobby. We all have dreams of the days when marine ecosystems will be cheap, easy, and foolproof. Imagine a day where you buy a fish (basically free they are so cheap) and put it in your tank knowing it will live for years. Oh, and lets not forget the advantages of easy to find cheap lights that last 50 years. Imagine glass and acrylic there never needs to be cleaned. Live rock with corals growing all over them for the price of dirt. And yes, I know we are all still looking for some type of salt water plecostomus.

Is the Marine aquarium hobby making progress? Does it need to make progress? To me, these are the questions that are important, and often overlooked.

Let's start at the beginning, where else? The practice of keeping salt water fishes has come a long way during the last 50 years. Recent decades have seen leaps and bounds of great progress in other areas as the hobby expanded into Cnidaria, Mollusca, Arthropoda, and a mess of other wonderful organisms.

However, the way I see it, the hobby is slowing down. How often do we hear a speaker or author making statements like "I've been in this hobby since 1962 and I can remember the days when...", give me a break. We can all see the changes that have taken place, but what about recent discoveries?

While many of us in the reef hobby are thankful for the progress that has been made, it does lead to some concerns. The point I'm trying to get at is that with all we know our success is almost, well, too successful. Thousands of people are now able to keep marine organisms and have them thrive in their ecosystems. Mini or nano reefs are becoming more popular and it seems that even simple little tanks are doing the trick. We have the experience and the knowledge from years past to thank for this. Imagine where we would be without the trials of protein skimming, plenums, bio-balls, sand, algae, mud, rock, lighting, chemicals, and all the other items that have come into this hobby.

But it seems that now we are at a standpoint. From my point of view that last 5 years have not seen the ingenuity and creativity, which previous years had seen. After the explosion of sumps and lighting improvements, nothing has happened. I haven't heard a speaker or author come up with anything original in years. In fact, the hobby is becoming boring. Where are the new ideas, where are the experiments? Most importantly, why does everyone have the same looking aquarium? Is there something that triggers our minds to say that a rectangle box, with rock stacked nicely along the back, having corals carefully placed, with bright lights, and a few fishes makes a beautiful living room centerpiece. It may be beautiful, but it just isn't right to me. For once I would like to see something truly unique. I would even settle for someone who dumps their live rock in the tank, straight from the box, and lets it land wherever it may land. Why the reduction in creativity and experimentation? My explanation for this is that we don't need it anymore. Or do we? Are people simply not trying new things because there tanks are already perfect? To me, they are not. As the wise philosopher Aristotle once said "There was never a genius without a tincture of madness". It is my fear that if the hobby doesn't allow and promote the ideas of individuals trying new things and striving for improvements then we will never make progress from where we are today. The goal is to make progress to a point where aquariums are perfect. So I guess the question is... are we there yet?

As always questions and comments are welcome."

Adam Blundell

President

Wasatch Marine Aquarium Society

http://www.reefs.org/editorial/index.html

Dear Roidan, a very insightful article, took me 2 days to fully comprehend what he is driving at. :D

Nevertheless, thank you for sharing. :bow::thanks:

Like to hear more views and perceptions. :D

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
Nice perspective bro Reefbum. You obviously is a man that knows what he wants and stand firm by his decisions.. :D

Thanks you for your compliment. ;)

Thks bro :paiseh: My wish is for for more people to be able to enjoy this hobby at an affordable price and also save the countless sea life.

Cheers!