How to Join 2 PCs to the same cable connection

SpiderOne

• SRC Member

My father is using scv 6500kbps starhub cable ( and me using 512k singnet ? :( ) . so i have decided to pilfer his connection . how can i connect connect 2 pcs to the same connection what do i need ? called starhub and they keep talking about routers and things i have absolutely no clue about . anyone got an idea ? our computers are about 15m apart

• SRC Member

it depends on if his modem provide DHCP functions ...i believe his modem only issue 1 ip address so setting up using Hub might be a bit tricky if he is a bit unfamiliar....try getting some routers here....i think it will serve him better..... :D

his is the scv 6500 most probably will be dhcp.. my home is scv 1500 and i uses the hub to connect 2 pcs and 1 laptop together..

• SRC Member

hi. thanks for all the posts but i dont understand a single thing man .. my modem is the super old one . but they changed the signal only when i called to recontract because i wanted the digital camera . besides a router and those ethernet? cards what else do i need . is there a set that comes with everything u need and i can buy off the shelf and comes with super detailed easy to understand instructions in large print

P.S 2222 posts :P

Edited by SpiderOne

• SRC Member

You can always use a wireless router + wireless card if you do not want to lay any cables.

Go to sim lim square and shop around. The prices of wireless are quite cheap already.

IMO, some good brands are :

linksys, SMC

• SRC Member

wait, singnet uses a ADSL modem while starhub uses a cable modem. If u are saying to share with ur dad's, den who's going to utilise ur singnet? and if back into the topic, getting to share with ur dad, u basically need a router, if u plan to go wireless, u either need a wireless PCI card, or a wireless USB or PCMCIA wi-fi(for laptop)card. And other situation when u dun need to use all these at all is that if ur dad's computer is not connected through the ethernet port, but connecting through the blue colour bridge(NIC = network interface card)which uses the USB port, which im still using( i subscribe the 5th yr), u juz basically need a cross cable, connect it to ur dad's ethernet port, and to ur computer's ethernet port and u can share the connection. dunnoe if u have to configure to the same MAC address though. :)

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

cancel your Singnet la. With 6500kbps.. who needs the singnet?

Just get a wireless router and a wireless PCI card(desktop) or PCMCIA card(laptop) can liao lor. You may wan to choose Linysis for simplicity and relaibility.

Budget: around $300. ... i think so.. donkey years never go sim lim liao

If you are a loyal customer for many years (which I have been) just call Starhub. If you upgrade your connection they would fix up a wireless router for you free of charge.

I chose to stay on MaxOnline 1500 plan. They sent me a letter to collect a wireless router and other relevant stuff from Sim Lim Square. After that just fix it up yourself or find a friend to help you.

I did'nt pay a single cent more. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

i recontract for 2 years for that 4.1mp digital camera and the 4 in 1 printer promotion . can either thoose that or a wireless router setup . i chose the camera printer combo + the 15% discount so no more free stuff.

Hi friend,

Just to share.

"Wireless is way to go" is a yes and no situation. This is because wireless networking will have security problems especially you are in HDB or houses so close to each other. I have experience where people can actually accessing my internet. Luckily, I did not share any files or folder for my system and now I block all IP address except those I designated

If you have a new house, the best is to have wired point at every room, living room and kitchen and best is every room has a SCV point. It would be helpful if you decide to shift your modem here and there.

Anyway, you can get a router, you can buy one with wireless and with 4 ports. the cost is rather cheap now compare to 4 years ago!

I attached 2 photos for your information since you are using old modem from starhub. Please note that you need a modem which provide a cat 5 cable out so that you can connect to your router.

Regards-fooyl

post-11-1110857041.gif

Previous Tank 3 x 2.5 x 2 ft since year 2005. 23 Jan 2009 fully decom my 3ft. Now only left 24"x14"x16" and I am very happy cos can see all my fish in near range.. haha

Hi,

another picture. Sorry a bit blur.

regards-fooyl

post-11-1110857117.gif

Previous Tank 3 x 2.5 x 2 ft since year 2005. 23 Jan 2009 fully decom my 3ft. Now only left 24"x14"x16" and I am very happy cos can see all my fish in near range.. haha

• SRC Member

yup, just get a linksys router, quite user friendly, u can prevent ppl from using ur network by MAC filtering. As to allow which computer is authorised to use ur network. And of course u need to set the WEP(Wired Equivalent Privacy ). so jc's 128 bit suggestion is more than enough.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

Dear brothers,

Yes, WEP is way to go. I think good enough protection. Like what you guys said, still complicated for people to hack. :P

regards-fooyl

• SRC Member
i recontract for 2 years for that 4.1mp digital camera and the 4 in 1 printer promotion . can either thoose that or a wireless router setup . i chose the camera printer combo + the 15% discount so no more free stuff.

i also choose the digital cam leh. you got it already? how was it?