Seachem Nitrate Removal

Limpc

• SRC Member

So far I have yet come across any reliable product or chemical that will the job well. I had that problem when I had a 2' tank and N03 was always sky high. Frequent water change seems always the fastest but the most "lay cheh"!

When I started my bigger tank, went straight for my deep sand bed and also tried this expensive filter media - biohume or something. S$60 per 1 kg. So far my N03 is aways below .5 ppm after these few months.

There is a product called AZNO3 that works very well in reducing high nitrates to almost zero in a couple of days.

You can get it from fishnfriends.com, the distributor of AZNO3 and P0-4 minus.

It's an enzyme formula causes your protein skimmer to go crazy and it will export out your nitrates via it.

I have used it before in the past and will recommend it.

• SRC Member

Your right, AT, heard about that. Its about S$60 per bottle and Pac Marine (Lor Halus) has it as well. But it may not be a long term solution.

BTW, FishNFriends was the one that helped set up my first 2' tank. But he seems to be disappeared, guess now focusing on his main business in professional cleaning and hygeine business. Can't recall the chap's name now, unique one though.

• SRC Member

Seachem Nitrate Sponge doesn't work for me. I tried a few bottles for it but didn't do squat for my nitrate level.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Your right, AT, heard about that. Its about S$60 per bottle and Pac Marine (Lor Halus) has it as well. But it may not be a long term solution.

BTW, FishNFriends was the one that helped set up my first 2' tank. But he seems to be disappeared, guess now focusing on his main business in professional cleaning and hygeine business. Can't recall the chap's name now, unique one though.

His name is Reno and he's a friend of mine!

Actually, he was the one who got me into this hobby! ;)

Pac marine is one of his retailers for AZNO3 and PO4-minus.

At $60 a bottle, it is definitely not a long term solution.... that should be accomplished by your DSB or plenum or ample liverock.

But for a quick almost INSTANT solution, AZNO3 is the best! I have a bottle on standby actually.... heh!

• SRC Member

Hi Limpc,

Agree with Tanzy...didn't do squat to my nitrate level too. <_< Basically another touted super porous biological media for anaerobic bacteria to settle in and not some quick acting nitrate removal resin which it seems to be...IMO, the principle is the same as DSB...providing a substrate for harvesting anaerobic bacteria (given the right condition). Only difference is that the cost of 1 bottle entitles you to get a few bags of #1 sand.

IMO, changing water is still the best medicine in depressing nitrate levels in a desperate situation.

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. Need your expert view on my situation. I do not have a sump unfortunately. My tank filtration is a canister, a internal overflow and a protein skimmer.

In your opinion, what is the best way for me to incorporate a nitrate reducer.

thanks in advance for any comment.

Limpc

• SRC Member

Hi Limpc

I used to have your exact configuration and gave up and finally moved into a bigger tank and a sump. I am now also using this filter media - Biohume or something like that - said to help in N03 as well. They look like cigarette butts and comes in whitish and reddish versions. The latter is said to be better and claims "no need to replace". Expensive though, about S$60 for 1 kg but said to be good for up to a 1000 litre tank. My present tank is 200+ litres... super kia-su you see..... :P:P:P wanted to say byebye to N03 forever.. my N03 so far has never gone above 10 ppm. Now is at 5 ppm.

Good luck!

AT, if you see Reno again, tell say hi to him for me. I am working in the same office block as his wife. Went over to his place to view his tank and got hooked!

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Matrix and Denitrate are Seachem products but Biohume isn't. Actually I've never heard of Biohume before.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Was referring to the biohume - was told that they are made so that de-nit bateria can breed in the most inner part of the biohume. I am doing ok with my N03 but on the other hand, it may be also with the help of my deep sand bed.

The Biohume actually functions just like LR...

Anoxic environment inside the biohume so as to sustain anaerobic Bacteria for the break down of Nitrates....

whereas outside surfaces for aerobic bacteria....

IMO, rather use the money to buy LR ....