Puzzled

Uptempo

Hi everyone.....i'm very new here....this is my first post so pls bear with any mistakes i've made....

I've recently set up a reef tank about 1 month n 1 week....gone tru de cyclin process n results r positive.... i've included some mushrooms n polyps plus some tube worms.....all have been doing well...mushrooms n polyps r reproducing ....recently i added an anemone inside ....it went into hiding undernealth my LRs....den now i tink its dead n stuck somewhere in de bottom of de tank i can't reach....can u all tell me y de anemone died out of no reason...n can i just leave it there to decomposed on its own? Furthermore i introduced 2 common clown a week ago n they din go to de anemone....n soon both got some white slime on de body n died....... wat's worse is tat at nite i can c many worms n small organisms roamin around de walls of my tank n on de corals......mainly transparent or white....r they harmful n how can i get rid of them? N a Xenia i bought around for 3 weeks started to die today....gettin very botak....so sad....dunno wats happenin to my tank???? :eyeblur:

Hopefully anyone here could answer my doubts....your help is very much appreciated :)

sorry fer de long paragraph

remove the anemone immediately..it will stink up your whole tank. could it be because your tank's not properly cycled that it died??? they need alot of light as well...i think it is abit too early to stock up your tank with so many things...increase our life stock slowly coz your tank is still in the maturing process. might not be able to handle to load if u add in so many things suddenly... I think xenias are not really corals that u should begin with. especially those pumping xenias. need to get the parameters right and ph above 8.3 .... take a step at a time and do a water change immediately if the anemone has really died and decayed

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• SRC Member

i suggest using a strong PH to blow at the area whereby it lies dead :)

if fail...use a pump to suck it out...u know those kind whereby pple change tank water with a red pump on top? :rolleyes:

if fail...get something sharp to tri & dig it out

still fail, fall on your knees & pray to GOD :angel:

do a huge water change after dead anemone is removed. dun try anemone liao...they need intense lighting :)

• SRC Member

To get the Anemone Fish to live with your Anemone, before releasing the fish to the tank, try releasing it just next to anemone. And remember, that you can't really keep a few fish to one anemone, unless you have a school of them... Don't stock up your tank too early...

best is to move the lr.....if you blow at it....imagine the dead tissues floating all over :sick:

it polutes the water as well.....turn off your powerhead and gently life up the rock, use a net toprevent the anemone fr disintegrating in your tank...... :)

thanks fer de advise everyone...i'll do a water change n try to get de dead pieces out..my de other question is about de transparents n white worms n tiny organisms tat roam de walls of my tanks n even onto my corals....r they harmful? how to get rid of them?

• SRC Member

Ha,, I just learnt that those tiny things in your tank are copepods.. They are harmless.. as your anemone is decaying.. the pods is feeding on it..

Once my anemone died too, but before it die, i already took it out since it is still intach before crashing my water.

Take out your rocks lah.. my biggest piece of rock is 15kg.. and i moved it around for few times already.

Tank 4x2x2.5

• SRC Member

How u tell whether the anemone is dead? Pls don't feel offended by my question, since u r new to this hobby, u might not be able to tell whether the anemone is dead or alive, I'm worried that u r creating a big problem for yourself out of nothing.

this is my exp....I used to have one shortly I believe my tank was cycled...I put in an anemone with my fishes from my old tank..the anemone shrunk and seems dying.....it knocked out all my fishes...I had to do major water change to salvage my tank....ever since that day...no anemone.....no problem with tank... :D

Some newbies mistake the shrinking of anemones as death.

Anemones contract and expand regularly. If the water condition is not good enough, it will shrink.

Dead anemones are not just shrunken but mushy and flat.... like a mucus pool.

agree....you must investigate further...I thought mine just shrunk like most anemones, but when I tried to lift it out of the rockwork...it looks like'melting' away.... :sick: .....my tank really stink with the dead anemone and fishes.... :(

Talking abt anemone. Allow me to tell you a true story. Abt a month back, I bought an anemone. Took home and put it in my tank. It was my second anemone. It is relatively bigger than the one I already had. My clown fish was really happy to get a new anemone with "solid body" and suddenly fall in love with it. Poor thing, my first anemone was then neglected by the clown fish.

Come next morning, when I work up and greeted my tank inhabitants to say good morning (I used to do that he he), to my horrow I found the whole tank was greyish in colour. I was completely puzzled as to why the colour suddenly changed. A quick check revealed that my new anemone was sucked by a 2500 ltr/hr powerhead at night.

No choice, my good morning greeting was followed by swift spring cleaning of my tank.

Yes, every LR was removed and properly washed as bits and pieces of the poor anemone was all over the tank. Poor thing, that anemone was totally beyond saving though there was some live still around. I have no choice, but to put our friend to sleep in a freezer. I guess it was "shouting for help" the whole night while being sucked by that powerhead which was used as a water circulation in my tank.

A very sad lesson in my new hobby tsk tsk tsk!

:cry2:

IMo if your tank start to foul then something is wrong with your anemone

D_A...tank did not foul first....i checked the tank everyday........it 's probably the dead fishes lah.... <_<:sick:

• SRC Member
hmm... de anemone covered itself up till i cant c de tentacles n start rottin with whitish mushy mushy substance....den i never open up anymore....but so far my water no smell.....

If you want to wait until your water stinks than too lae already.Believe me,you wouldnt want to wait for that to happen.If you have to remove rocks to get it out,do so before its too late. :sick::sick:

• 2 weeks later...