Running WIth 2 Chillers

mantis

Hi, I hv a rather 'strange' situation. Hope bros here will be patient.

I currently hv a CL 280 and will be aquiring a CL 650 soon after upgrading from a 3 ft to a 4x2x2.5 tank. Instead of selling the CL 280 (probably at a loss), I m thinking of keeping it and running it concurrently with the CL 650.

Question is - what is the cost considerations. Will it be more? Logically, if two chillers are working it should be. But when u think about it, two chiller also meant shorter running time to chill up the water - so there again, it might be cost saving. I m not sure. Any bros care to comment from this angle. Constructive and pertinent comments and advices only pls. I hv a week heart. :thanks:

Really varies from chiller to chiller.....how efficient each chiller is....varies from brand to brand....even within the same brand...it varies from model to model apparently....

there is always a chance that running 2 chillers at the same time, although using shorter overall time to cool the tank down to your desired temperature, total wattage used during this shorter time may be so high that it costs more than to let the single chiller run for a longer time....

thus the best thing to do is to hook them both up...and time the cooling time for the 2 chillers and then compare the cooling time using just 1 chiller.

In that way, when u compute overall electrical consumption when using 2 chillers and 1 chiller, u know exactly how much the difference is....

batman aint' the authority when it comes to cold issues.....best person would be Dr Freeze :lol:

i think his question refers more of running both together with a shorter time issit cheaper than run a chiller for a longer time...

whereas my case is that i am always running 1 chiller...the other is never in operation until a higher set point is reached due to the main chiller malfunction in one way or another ;)

• SRC Member

if running CL 650 alone for 4x2x2.5 tank and sump the min volume is at least 500L so dun think can support leh :erm: unless u want ur chiller to work veri hard lor ;)