Lion fish

• SRC Member

IMO...

2ft "standard" five-plan kind... too small...

lion fishes need huge space.... a 3ft tank will be minimum....

plus the fact... heavy bioload....

seen my fren switch from 2 ft... to 2.5 ft... finally a 2 feet cube....

still not enuff space....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

Lions like to have some "caves" for them to hang around (literally :P ), so rockscaping in quite mundane for lions tank. IME, they are relatively safe with corals, and could be placed in a reef tank for colouration, but shrimps are a "No-no" as they will become the lions' food.

IMO...

2ft "standard" five-plan kind... too small...  lion fishes need huge space.... a 3ft tank will be minimum....  plus the fact... heavy bioload....  seen my fren switch from 2 ft... to 2.5 ft... finally a 2 feet cube....  still not enuff space....

Wah, MC, you got a friend with a 2 cube lions tank ah? Do I know him/her? Got chance must go see-see leh.

:off:

• SRC Member
Lions like to have some "caves" for them to hang around (literally :P ), so rockscaping in quite mundane for lions tank. IME, they are relatively safe with corals, and could be placed in a reef tank for colouration, but shrimps are a "No-no" as they will become the lions' food.

Wah, MC, you got a friend with a 2 cube lions tank ah? Do I know him/her? Got chance must go see-see leh.

:off:

look at yr own tank....

oops... you dun have lion!!! hahahaha.... juz print yr avatar then paste at the tank can liaoz!!!!

:off::off:

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
look at yr own tank....

oops... you dun have lion!!! hahahaha.... juz print yr avatar then paste at the tank can liaoz!!!!

:off:  :off:

I still have a antennata lion, haha. Got it from S/Levy some 2 months back.

SLevy, ur lion still doing well. I am still feeding it with frozen mysis, though they're a little too small for the antennata. Trying to find PE mysis but no avail. U got any suggestion to improve the lion's diet? :thanks:

MaroonClown, if your lion is not eyeing on your other livestocks, I suggest you keep it in the main tank. It can be a little 'boring' having lions only tank, as lions do not move about frequently. They will probably explore the environment or search for food for a while, but after that you see a pretty 'empty' tank. :look:

• SRC Member

I still have a antennata lion, haha. Got it from S/Levy some 2 months back.

SLevy, ur lion still doing well. I am still feeding it with frozen mysis, though they're a little too small for the antennata. Trying to find PE mysis but no avail. U got any suggestion to improve the lion's diet? :thanks:

MaroonClown, if your lion is not eyeing on your other livestocks, I suggest you keep it in the main tank. It can be a little 'boring' having lions only tank, as lions do not move about frequently. They will probably explore the environment or search for food for a while, but after that you see a pretty 'empty' tank. :look:

hmmm ....

How to make that lion take frozen food .....

I tried mysis shrimp & chopped [ market prawn ] it just turn away ....

I am been feeding it live shrimp [ those from fresh water - for Luohan type ] for few months liao .... it seems to enjoy them most of the time ....

:P

• SRC Member
How to make that lion take frozen food .....

I tried mysis shrimp & chopped [ market prawn ] it just turn away ....

I am been feeding it live shrimp [ those from fresh water - for Luohan type ] for few months liao .... it seems to enjoy them most of the time ....

:P

There is no one sure way in getting your lion to feed on frozen. I guess it comes with luck, patience and perserverance. :P Keep trying on frozen, and cut down on live food. If you have been feeding glass shrimps for months, I guess your lion is relatively big already. Perhaps you can try frozen lance fish?

• SRC Member
I still have a antennata lion, haha.  Got it from S/Levy some 2 months back.

SLevy, ur lion still doing well.  I am still feeding it with frozen mysis, though they're a little too small for the antennata.  Trying to find PE mysis but no avail.  U got any suggestion to improve the lion's diet?  :thanks: 

great to hear that good news man

forzen mysis too small ah?...if you're as heartless as me(God forbid as i have cleaned my hands of blood :D ) can try fresh water mollies or freshwater shrimp...it eats while it was in my tank...

frankly, eating frozen mysis wasn't its main diet when i had it, i was lucky it started taking them...

oh, one more thing, i noticed it will go after live brine shrimp...and it was after i fed it live brine acouple of times then it started going after frozen mysis, perhaps you wanna give live brine a try?

btw, i tried frozen lance fish but to no avail, its now in my freezer no use, you wanna have it?

if u wan just drop me an sms :)

• SRC Member
great to hear that good news man

forzen mysis too small ah?...if you're as heartless as me(God forbid as i have cleaned my hands of blood :D ) can try fresh water mollies or freshwater shrimp...it eats while it was in my tank...

frankly, eating frozen mysis wasn't its main diet when i had it, i was lucky it started taking them...

Hey SLevy, I bought the lion exactly because it's taking frozen food mah. :D Didn't want to feed it live either. Actually, it has been eyeing on my blood shrimp (can you imagine? A shrimp living with a lion?), but apparently it is unable to get its mouth to it. Think the shrimp got a good hiding place. :lol:

oh, one more thing, i noticed it will go after live brine shrimp...and it was after i fed it live brine acouple of times then it started going after frozen mysis, perhaps you wanna give live brine a try?

Aiya, lions sure go after live food one. If not, then something wrong liao. :P

btw, i tried frozen lance fish but to no avail, its now in my freezer no  use, you wanna have it? if u wan just drop me an sms :)

Lance fish is too big for the lion. I guess feeding live food does make it grow faster. Although healthy, it hasn't grown very much. But I like it this way. Can't have too big a lion in my tank. :eyebrow: