Beta Glucan

• SRC Member

Once my ich combat is over, I will be trying out this supplement as preventive measures and to boost the fish immunity against parasites....... will let you pals know about the results....

• SRC Member

There are some commercial diets that incoporate 1,3 beta glucan. Can't remeber the name but just look at the labels. There will definately be some at Aquarama so you can wait till then as well.

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

Where to get beta glucan? i'm very keen! the last time i went looking for it at bishan J8 pharmacy..... they just shake their head and look at u...."what's he talking about" :eyeblur:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member
Where to get beta glucan? i'm very keen! the last time i went looking for it at bishan J8 pharmacy..... they just shake their head and look at u...."what's he talking about" :eyeblur:

My only source doesn't bring in anymore as the suppliers sold by the tonne! It can only be found in some fish foods....

• SRC Member

My only source doesn't bring in anymore as the suppliers sold by the tonne! It can only be found in some fish foods....

I sense a bulk order coming..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

LET'S DO IT MAN!!!!

• SRC Member
OK...here's the order list:

1) Marinebetta 60 gm

2) Chinmo 60 gm

3) Seamonkee 999,880 gm

:lol::lol::lol:

Of which 999,000grams will be for his own use while 880grams for himself...

• SRC Member

Of which 999,000grams will be for his own use while 880grams for himself...

I'm crazy but I'm giving it some serious thought to bring in and sell..... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

You think selling Panadol is it?

Tsk tsk.... such rude discouraging remarks.... oh... I am so bothered by your comments that it upsets my daily regimen... oh... I am so discouraged.... oh.... it pains me with your comments....

You won..... Mr benheer the plankton member.... but seriously, I can't be bothered with you and your comments... there's too many of your likes in this club these days..... :P:P

I take it you are either a lifeless teenager whose parents never teach you any manners, an old retiree who wanks himself watching SRC or perhaps just a competitive beta glucan street pedlar... :P

• SRC Member

Wailll.... :cry2::cry2: My hope as an entrepreneur is dashed w such comments... .oh... oh... :cry::P:P:P

With all the ich outbreak... I need something to destress... this is cool with someone offering himself in front of the firing squad...

Anyway, gonna check out the pharmacies to see if beta glucan is readily available... otherwise, HSA... here I cometh.... :P

For the rest of the bros (who ARE supportive), I will keep you all posted of my "research".....

Bad bad benheer... not a single panadol for you too! :P

• SRC Member
Bro .. pharmacy dun have meh?...

After reading the link above, it seems like some very common vitamin which can easily bought.... but i haven't try asking around yet :P

I not sure if avail in Singapore though.... yet to try the pharmacies...

From what I read on the net, it is derived from yeast and is purely organic... has been in used in pet food and stuff for many years as % additives... Did a search in HSA website and went thru their comprehensive list of supplements... Beta Glucan is not listed in there... perhaps not avail in its pure form....

On the list of banned supplements, HSA did mention about prohibition (certain percentage) of yeast-derived supplements... so wonder if beta-glucan (pure form) has overshot that...

On internet, there are two varieties in the US market... One is 500mg (for human consumption) and another is 100mg (for pets and kids) haha.... * funny lumping pets and kids together....

Can imagine mother shouting to his son... "Ah boy, this one is for blackie one... yours on the table...." :lol::D

Perhaps I try the pharmacy later..... ;) Hopefully, bro chinmo's experience is not repeated...

• SRC Member

Beta Glucan is not something new... in fact, it has been in use as an additives in animal feed for more than 20 years....

Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 and 2 contains it..... maybe that's why it is a choice of fish pellet feed used by most reefers here?

• SRC Member

If you can rustle up together 300 to 500 kg, I may be able to get some in....depends on if the manufacturer will sell in such small quantities!

If you can rustle up together 300 to 500 kg, I may be able to get some in....depends on if the manufacturer will sell in such small quantities!

300-500 kg = Small quantities?! :blink::shock:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
Just came across this article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/feature.htm

BETA GLUCAN AS A BIOLOGICAL DEFENSE MODULATOR:

HELPING FISH TO HELP THEMSELVES

Now I'm really interested to seek out this stuff.

Actually it is the same article (posted at the beginning of this thread) that is written by the same author Terry D. Bartelme... just that it is on different site... ;)