Heat Wave hits tank!

RAV-65

Bro RAV-65 , u wouldn't believe this , when i read yr thread 2hrs ago , i thought such thing wont happen to me , guess what i did some maintenance on my sump tank and when i restart the system 2 hrs ago, i forgotton to switch back on my chiller! Abt 30 mins ago , i decided to check on my tank and realised chiller no led light , then realised that chiller was off for 2 hrs tank temp rose to 31. :o

Moral of story , never be complacent. Learnt my lesson. <_<

Aiyoh bro... already sent out warning to you... still so careless!! next time need me to PM you to remind you not? :lol:

Good thing discovered early... hope there are no casualties... Come to tink of it, the dead pump is a problem too! Guess I need to get something that would cut out the lights when the temp gets too high... :P

Checked my tank this morning... the cyanrina recovered liao... cateye condition also improving... and my SPS actually survived the 33C!! Phew! Currently no obvious signs of RTN, STN or Bleaching... still keeping my fingers crossed... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

one more STUPID lesson for all to learn, or rather laugh..

been rather stressed out by chiller running 24/7 past few months and sky high bills to the point of cant slp at night...

today, brought chiller to supplier and repair. came back hmmm seems better but something still wrong and tot its my ehiem giving out too much heat.. so took out main return pump(ehiem1262) and brought for replacement.

came home and look at temp from chiller, 27.8 deg. very happy..

TILL....

my gf told me... u stupid!!!!... ur chiller input and output to the sump. the return pump is in ur hands... how is the cold water going to go back to main tank?

:shock::nc::sick::pinch:

take out glass thermometer and measure main tank reading.. 31 deg C... :shock:

up till now still stress.. chiller still unable to cool down.. guess another sleepless night ahead... <_<

been rather stressed out by chiller running 24/7 past few months and sky high bills to the point of cant slp at night...

today, brought chiller to supplier and repair. came back hmmm seems better but something still wrong and tot its my ehiem giving out too much heat.. so took out main return pump(ehiem1262) and brought for replacement.

TILL....

my gf told me... u stupid!!!!... ur chiller input and output to the sump. the return pump is in ur hands... how is the cold water going to go back to main tank?

up till now still stress.. chiller still unable to cool down.. guess another sleepless night ahead... <_<

Put ice lah... will keep down the temp a bit, pack the ice into plastic bags so the water wun mix with your tank water.

• SRC Member

TILL....

hmmm... i dun get it... repair liao still cannot cool ur tank ah?

means cooling power not enuff?? y not get a more powerful chiller?

Report : First Casualty Found...

Discovered today that one of the colonies closest to the water surface has STN-ed.... :(

Luckily is not one of those more sought-after SPS, but the colony's been with me for a few months, surviving even my tank shift... :(

Hopefully this is the last of any casualties...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
Report : First Casualty Found...

Discovered today that one of the colonies closest to the water surface has STN-ed.... :(

Luckily is not one of those more sought-after SPS, but the colony's been with me for a few months, surviving even my tank shift... :(

Hopefully this is the last of any casualties...

O no....

Hope that's the last of your casualty too...

• SRC Member
hmmm... i dun get it... repair liao still cannot cool ur tank ah?

means cooling power not enuff?? y not get a more powerful chiller?

i also dun get it, thats why so stressed...

got someone to top up gas, still cant work, brought back to supplier to change a new temperature controller and probe, still cant work....

mine is a supposed 1/2 hp chiller

410W cooling power

240W electricity power

even lights off from 1am to 1.30pm still unable to cool down. Anyone care to help me? :bow::bow::thanks:

Lights : 2 x 250W DE MH + 2 x 39W T5

Pumps :

1 Ehiem 1262 (return)

1 Rio32 (beckett)

1 small 600L pump (FR/CR)

1 15W OceanFree pump (Chiller)

1 TS7 Tunze

1 1200 Maxijet

1 SeioM820

• SRC Member

got someone to top up gas, still cant work, brought back to supplier to change a new temperature controller and probe, still cant work....

410W cooling power

240W electricity power

even lights off from 1am to 1.30pm still unable to cool down. Anyone care to help me? :bow::bow::thanks:

Pumps :

1 Ehiem 1262 (return)

1 Rio32 (beckett)

1 TS7 Tunze

1 1200 Maxijet

1 SeioM820

Change the chiller. Don't trial and error when come to chiller. 2 to 3 hours of high temperature and you can say bye bye to your SPS. We have spent too much money on stocking than to ignore the defect in a chiller.

410W cooling power

240W electricity power

Pumps :

1 Ehiem 1262 (return)

1 Rio32 (beckett)

1 TS7 Tunze

1 1200 Maxijet

1 SeioM820

Bro, check the chiller pump, is the flowrate sufficient? maybe too slow??Or did you connect the hoses the wrong way?

Juz my $0.02... :P

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

410W cooling power

240W electricity power

Pumps :

1 Ehiem 1262 (return)

1 Rio32 (beckett)

1 TS7 Tunze

1 1200 Maxijet

1 SeioM820

first thing is to check if the output of the water is cold..... also if yours is a 1/2 HP chiller.....flow rate from a pump with 15w enough meh????

my 1/3 horse power, using Aquabee 3000 (38w)....something feel not enough flow.... :P

Change the chiller. Don't trial and error when come to chiller. 2 to 3 hours of high temperature and you can say bye bye to your SPS. We have spent too much money on stocking than to ignore the defect in a chiller.

Hmm... actually I find this pretty good advice... maybe u can use a CL-650... cheap and good for low budget chillers... Expensive ones no need me to tell you lah.. :P

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

its a 1200l pump... the flow rate is pretty slow and also the rubber hoses for input and output are just 15mm nia...

been looking for a chiller but got space constraint.. 500(L) x 365(W) x 550(H)

so far Pac coo 1/2 Hp and Daiel 1/3 Hp on my list.. don dare to commit yet coz afraid they r still unable to cool down coz mine is a 1/2 HP and yet cant do the job...

others im not too sure.. any recommendations? B)

its a 1200l pump... the flow rate is pretty slow and also the rubber hoses for input and output are just 15mm nia...

been looking for a chiller but got space constraint.. 500(L) x 365(W) x 550(H)

so far Pac coo 1/2 Hp and Daiel 1/3 Hp on my list.. don dare to commit yet coz afraid they r still unable to cool down coz mine is a 1/2 HP and yet cant do the job... 

others im not too sure..  any recommendations?  B)

Bro, your 1/2 hp wat chiller is dat? Btw like abit thin, plus pump too weak... I tink... :P

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro, your 1/2 hp wat chiller is dat? Btw like abit thin, plus pump too weak... I tink... :P

Different chiller the hp rating not consistent. When I started my tank, I use one local product chiller called Eido. Rating 1.25hp :shock::shock: That time I running 2x150W only. Thought sure super efficient and over kill one. 1.25 hp what for a 3.5 feet tank. Then I find the chiller (with a built in pump) runs for a long time, about 1.5 hours to cool 1 degree. So thought maybe normal. Then........I upgrade to 2x250 and 1x150, the bloody chiller run non-stop when my lights are on. :blink::blink: Worse still found out the supplier went bust and nobody to service the chiller. That month my PUB bill went to 650 bucks :pinch::pinch: .

So hp rating doesn't guarantee performance!!!!

• SRC Member

ok... thanks for the advice scarab ...

last month bill came up to 658.... :pinch: heng din kena F upsidedown...

temperature at 30 deg now as i type... guess gotta pray hard till i get a new chiller..

daeil 1/3 hp and pac coo 1/2 hp. which 1 performance better?

anyone have any idea?? can pm me if not nice to say here...

• SRC Member

wlanz, I don't know which one performs better but I'm using a daeil 1/3 hp for my 4ft tank. With all lights on, it takes about 50mins to drop 0.8C with an ambient temp of 28C. Note however that I run only T5s (8x 54w). I run an Eheim 1260 (2400L/hr) with the chiller.

RAV, glad to hear that almost all of your corals made it. ;) How's the pink digi?

wlanz, I don't know which one performs better but I'm using a daeil 1/3 hp for my 4ft tank. With all lights on, it takes about 50mins to drop 0.8C with an ambient temp of 28C. Note however that I run only T5s (8x 54w). I run an Eheim 1260 (2400L/hr) with the chiller.

RAV, glad to hear that almost all of your corals made it. ;) How's the pink digi?

Pinkie survived bro... :P

Still in the process of colouring up... the polyps didn't really extend the 1st couple of days, thought it died! but now slowly popping its heads out! :D

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
650 for electricity bills but how much of it is for the fish tank?

Bro you think I running factory at home ah? :lol:

Normal usage about 250. Fish tank I estimate about 150 to 200. Now my PUB bills averagely about 420. It is that one month that went to 650 because of the chiller.

Since changed for a year already, the bills has been quite constant.

Don't waste time with the other chillers la, go with either the dailea or artica 1/2hp commerical chiller.

Just need 25mins to cool 0.8degs on my 4ft with 2x250W + 1x150W running. Super hot seasons or cold seasons the chiller also find no kick in cooling down.

Spend so much on LS already don't save on the chiller by using those that cannot cool your tank on super hot days, on those days your tank water temp slowly creeps up, what is the point trying to prove that your low-budget china brand chiller can cool your tank during the non-super hot season?? Let you win mentally but when super hot days come you will be crying :P

• SRC Member

Bro,

You are not the only one who sufferred, me too.

My maid accidentally switched off the chiller while cleaning, she had been with us for 2 years already. Temp shot to 34C, my favourite fishes died, the dead list, 2 bartletts, blackcap, flame, mandarin, 2 cleaners, corals, pancora hammer grown from 5 branches to more than 40 in 2 years, all gone, red striped prata, some yumas. :(

Survivors are YT, PT, BT, royal gramma, percula, longnose hawkfish, algae and bicolour blenny.

I will now take the opportunity to rescape/reset my tank before adding more livestock again and get a temp probe to monitor the temp and cuts off the MH when temp reaches 30C.

My office tank's power was cut off (thunder and lighting) at 2.30pm on Sunday, found out on Monday 9.30 am, luckily no casualties, temp was 30C, my UPS backed up by car battery for my return eheim 1262 pump probably lasted about 9 hours could have save the day. :P

• SRC Member

my condolences marineman... heart pain for u also...

arghhhhhh... today got a replacement chiller(same model) whilst the old one send for repair. fix it up LPPL... still cannot cool... change to a 2500l pump still LPPL..

wanna get the daeil 1/2 horse but cant convince dad to put a "aircon compressor" in the living room... he keep saying spoil the asthetic of the house..

im very puzzled how come last time 4ft tank with 2 x 150w able to cool down,

now 3ft tank + sump even without lights and all pumps off also cant cool down. if i off return pump it will be able to cool down the water in the sump very quickly but once the return pump is on, its unable to... wat could be wrong??