4 Ft And Above Tank Owners

• SRC Member

I am very curious. Want to find out from you guys how do you change water? I can't imagine you guys having pails and pails of water standing overnight, then on the next day, stir salt in and pour into the tank. Is this the way?

I was told by a LFS to siphon out part of the water then fill the tank up slowly and simultaneously pouring in and stirring in the salt.

I just started a 4ft tank (actually, just converted my nice planted tank :(). Just want to find out what's the most common and conveniet method to change water.

Any kind advice would be very much appreciated.

:):):)

• SRC Member
I was told by a LFS to siphon out part of the water then fill the tank up slowly and simultaneously pouring in and stirring in the salt.

which LFS told you that!!!! <_<

that IS NOT the way.

i prepare a big pail, bubble overnight,

best if you use RO water, but i'm not that rich :P

then mix the salt in to the right SG....

i siphon out the tank water from the overflow

into a pail.....

then just pour in the mixed water.

:D

• SRC Member

A LFS in Joo Chiat told me that.

Just 1 pail to change water for a 4ft and above tank? Please may I know how big is that pail and how often do you change?

Oh, btw, I am setting up a FOWLR aquaria.

Hmm...for my FW planted setup, it was much easier. Just use a hose to siphon out part of the water, then top up and at the same time add anti-chlorine. My plants just grew and grew!

Thanks for your reply.

:)

• SRC Member

i never change water at all. i have two 4" fans which help cool down my tank's temperature AND helps in evaporating water from my tank. Every three days, I just add in tap water up to the level which i marked at my tank. So I got new water in my tank every three days. So no need to change water at all.

i never change water at all. i have two 4" fans which help cool down my tank's temperature AND helps in evaporating water from my tank. Every three days, I just add in tap water up to the level which i marked at my tank. So I got new water in my tank every three days. So no need to change water at all.

...........Water evaporates...true...but the nutrients and other dissolved organics in your water does not evaporate. So in fact by just toping up water without changing water...you are concentrating your dissolved organics in a way...as they accumulate without getting removed.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

My god. This is one of the best posts i ever read in this forum.Are you serious dude?? or joking ?? H2O molecules evaporate .. not nitrate nitrite Etc. Pure h2o comes out Pure h2o goes in. Nothing Is changed at all except the concentrantion of organics at the period of time right before u top up water.

• SRC Member

...........Water evaporates...true...but the nutrients and other dissolved organics in your water does not evaporate. So in fact by just toping up water without changing water...you are concentrating your dissolved organics in a way...as they accumulate without getting removed.

my tank is cycled. so i dont have any problems with ammonia, nitrite nor nitrate.