Setups for SH

dkk08

• SRC Member

Hi guys, I'm intending to setup my 15" cube tank for SH, any advice on the kinda rocks/corals that's suitable for SH. Shrooms are aka as frags rite? (I'm kinda new but read somewhere there meant the same... I think :D ) I love mushrooms but dunno if they're suitable... :P

Any advise and suggestions welcome :peace:

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

Best is no corals as they got stinging cells that would irritate SH...

LR and Sand should be enough for a SH setup...

Shrooms should be okaie... Frag meaning a piece of shroom...

SHs now are quite uncommon so be prepared to pay a little bit more and read more about them before starting they require a lot of TLC and dedication...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

hi there... my two cents... corals that would be suitable for a seahorse tank would include all variants of gorgonians. the photosynthetic purple ribbon ones being the easiest to care for as they do not require constant supplemental feedings, but the nicer looking gorgonians are the blue polyped or orange polyped ones, and those require low nitrate levels in the tank water, along with not too strong lights to ward off diatom and cyanobacteria growth.

gorgonians are great for seahorse because they provide branches on which the seahorses can hang and feed off. furthermore, theyre peaceful non-stinging corals that will in no way do harm to your seahorses.

do note the feeding requirements of your seahorses though.

generally, plan your seahorse tank corals according to either photosynthetic or non photosynthetic taking care to avoid stinging celled corals and the seahorses will take well to the environment.

for the photosynthetic corals, i'd recommend all variants of xenias because the pulsing action of their polyps adds visual movement to the tank of slow moving seahorses. as for mushrooms, all species are fine.

hope that helps.

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member

thanks Terryz and Ian for the advise... maybe I shld provide more specs of my 15" cube tank...

It'll be running on a 1x18w PLL or 2x18w PLL (depending on lighting requirements by the corals but I know SH dun like strong lights)

I'll only have a hang on filter thus current will be minimal as SH dun like high water flow...

Hmmm one more thing, is there any website or link that I can research on the compatibilites of corals and SH?

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member
Best is no corals as they got stinging cells that would irritate SH...

LR and Sand should be enough for a SH setup...

Shrooms should be okaie... Frag meaning a piece of shroom...

SHs now are quite uncommon so be prepared to pay a little bit more and read more about them before starting they require a lot of TLC and dedication...

Hi Terryz, can advise me on the various frags and if possible a website where I can ID them and if possible their prices as well... I wanna budget and save up while cycling the tank so that I can hopefully have enough cash to get them in 2-3

weeks time...

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

There are mainly three species of mushies that we can find in sg...

1. Discosoma

2. Rhodactis

3. Ricordia

For more info can try www.saltcorner.com

Dun wan to copy the whole write-up over... lol...

Member of:

1) Gorgonians are seahorse-safe. However, seahorses are not gorgonian safe. Be prepared to keep replacing gorgonians. Gorgonians tend to get irritated by the constant attention of the seahorse and they generally don't do too well with slow water movement in a seahorse tank.

2) Small clams might be safe. I've heard of incidents of seahorse tails getting stuck in clams.

A more natural looking seahose tank would be plain sand with sea grass. Forget large formations of liverock as these might be dangerous. Seahorses have the ability to get stuck quite readily. A few branching liverock would be a better option.

Get seahorses that are already feeding on frozen food. It will save you alot of headaches. Reborn at lavender was bringing in seahorses that chased frozen mysis not too long ago.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Yap I agree great advises thanks guys but I've decided to scrap the idea of a SH tank and setup a shrimp/small fish nano tank... :D

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• 1 month later...
Beside frozen food do the seahorse eat pellet. I'm interested to set up nano tank for seahorse :thanks:

I have never seen anyone successful in feeding pellets to SH, this may be due to the way SH eat.

SH feeds by ###### the food into is mouth without munching. Pellets are dried up and are too hard to be eaten this way.

Besides, SH are quite finicking, it is already a challenge to get them to feed on frozen mysis!

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Yes they are all valuable information.

Just to add further.

1. It is good to have a longer height tank rather than width or length as SH move up and down more often and create more spacious environment for them. They will have more space for dancing.

2. Tonga branch rocks (not too many just 2 or 3 pcs) would give a more natural environment with Gorgonians with some algae and sand (grade 3)

3. Flow should not be too high, just below moderate.

4. pH is of greatest important.

5. Lighting should not be too bright, normal fluorescent lights will do.

Just do more research before setting up.

;)

I have never seen anyone successful in feeding pellets to SH, this may be due to the way SH eat.

SH feeds by ###### the food into is mouth without munching. Pellets are dried up and are too hard to be eaten this way.

Besides, SH are quite finicking, it is already a challenge to get them to feed on frozen mysis!

Thanx for the reply bro ... i dont have any experince in SH. My maintank all fishes and corals. What abt giving dried brine shrimp to the SH. Will that works .. say that u let it wet and soft first before giving to the SH. The reason i ask is that my nano tank is in my office which dont have any frezer to keep frozen brine shrimp or mysis shrimp. Another questions.. at the moment my nano tank is occupied by boxer shrimp .. can the SH be mixed with the shrimp. :angel::thanks: