What is the optimu kick in/out time for a chiller?

dleecool

• SRC Member

Hi all experts here,

I would like to know what is the normal rate for a chiller to kick in and out?

I just bought a chiller as I never used one b4, I set mine at 26 and it kicks in for about 10 minutes to cool from 26.4 to 25.8 then willl stop for about 15 minutes and the cycle continue, is this normal?

Pls advise!!!

:thanks:

It is not too good for a chiller to keep cutting in and out very soon one cycle one after another.

The more on-off cycles it goes through, the faster it is going to wear and chances of breaking down is higher.

A chiller consumes alot of power everytime it cuts in. And if your chiller cuts in very often, it will consume more electricity than its base power consumption.

but you also can't have a chiller running the whole day also, that is overworking it.

• SRC Member
hi bro,

i keep mine at 28 deg.

So it doesnt kick in so often.

Else when your bill comes...u'll be kicking too :D

Hi bro,

So ur bill must be very little!!!! :)

I had change to 26.5 now, the kick in/out still the same!!! :(

• SRC Member
No it's a Daeil!! :D

Is 26 degree too low??

I'm using a Daeil 200 and I set it at 25. It take 1 hour to bring down 25.4 to 24.6 then it stop for 1 hour. 1 hour in 1 hour out. What pump you using?

• SRC Member

I'm using a Daeil 200 and I set it at 25. It take 1 hour to bring down 25.4 to 24.6 then it stop for 1 hour. 1 hour in 1 hour out. What pump you using?

Hi bernard,

Mine also DBE200, but I'm using Sicce Extrema. Now it cool from 26.9 to 26.2 for 15 min, then it will stop for about 25min and kick in again!!

Hopefully this month bill wont go up too much!!! :(

• SRC Member

hi,

though i'm using a haile, hv noticed the water flow rate affects the cut in/out time. can't tell u wat rate to use cos diff pump, pipe length, nbr of t-off, etc, etc. u need to try it yrself. set yr pump at max & monitor the cut in/out, then minimum.

hope it helps.

good luck.

bro, usually when a chiller respond this way it might have something to do with ur pump.

for me it takes an hr to chill down from 27 to 26, and kicks back one hour later.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

actually the size of the tank also matters.....the smaller the tank the faster the temp increase.....the power of your chiller can only determine how longs it run when it kicks in, but not the duration that it kicks in....my 2 footer, no matter what type of chiller i use will kick in every 15 mins because there is very little body of water

• SRC Member
bro, usually when a chiller respond this way it might have something to do with ur pump.

for me it takes an hr to chill down from 27 to 26, and kicks back one hour later.

Hi bro,

I agree with u on the pump selection, but it seemed to me that urs is 50% in and 50% out where for me is slightly better, 15 min over 25 min. :P However, my wear and tear will definitely faster than urs!!!

Btw, how much extra is ur bill? maybe I can compare in this way. :)

Also, anyone got any idea, wat's the best flow rate for Daeil/ Arctica DBE200, 1/4 HP?

• SRC Member

Hi bernard,

Mine also DBE200, but I'm using Sicce Extrema. Now it cool from 26.9 to 26.2 for 15 min, then it will stop for about 25min and kick in again!!

Hopefully this month bill wont go up too much!!! :(

I'm not sure about your set up. But mine 200 running by eheim 1262 (3400l/h). during the hot month, it will take about 1 hour to bring down my 105gal of water from 26c to 25c (tank temp) Chiller temp is 25.4 to 24.6.

• SRC Member

Hi all,

I had try adjusting my Sicce Extrema to the min flow which is around 500 l/h, so now the cooling rate is around 20 min, but it takes about 45 min b4 it starts to cool down again. I see this as improvement, but just wondering with very low flow like this, will it cause problem to my chiller??

• SRC Member

I use a Pac Coo 0.75HP chiller to chill my five footer... set to cut in at 28 and out at 26... Takes one hour to chill one degree and then the next kick in is 4 hours later... :evil:

Technically, if I do my sums, my chiller runs a total of 8 hours per day... ;)

A lot depends on your type of lighting, chiller pump used and other equipment in your tank....