Moonbar : Revolution

LiveRock

• SRC Member

I'm wondering, is it possible to do some form of IC control such that the moonbar can emit different intensity of light by just varying the number of LEDs on?? Couple this with a 15 day cycle control so that the moonlight cycles in a sinosodal pattern. ie

depending on the number of LEDs employed say 10 nos.

cycle:

Day 1 - all LEDs on,

Day 2 - all except 1 on,

Day 4 - all except 2 on,

Day 15 - only 1 on,

Day 16 - only 2 on,

Day 30 - All except 1 On.

:rolleyes:

having a timer to control a 30 day cycle might be difficult, maybe you can utilise the power on and off process to trigger a counter which resets after 30 counts?

i know nuts about electronics!!

can or not? if can, i dun mind buying!!!

Alvin

• SRC Member

Bros,

its no problem to do what you requested. I wanted to do one which could simulate the passing shape of clouds over it randomly generated.

However this requires a micro controller. Price will sky rocket. Its part of my DIY plans.

Controlling on and off of LED is easy with a micro controller. But question is how may can and are willing to pay something like $300 to $500 (estimated) for such a set consisting of about 20 to 40 LEDs?

• SRC Member

Technially, to simulate the the moon light intensity cycle by switching the number of LEDs to be switched on is no problem.

The challenge is to design the circuit for optimum space, lowest costs and ease of use.

Hmm... maybe I should do a bit of R&D on this area... :idea:

BUT.... if nobody wants it after my research, then how?

Anyway.... I may look into other possible solutions... like varying the intensity of all the LEDs together instead of switching on/off of individual LED?

:)

• SRC Member
Do people simulate thunder and rain too? :P

hahaha no problem with a micro controller and my auto top up device, anything is possible. But dun think you would want rain unless its raining salt water. And not to mention the salt spray.

You would need a pond to use this effectively. I can even include sounds along with it. hahaha

hahaha no problem with a micro controller and my auto top up device, anything is possible. But dun think you would want rain unless its raining salt water. And not to mention the salt spray.

You would need a pond to use this effectively. I can even include sounds along with it. hahaha

To simulate the 'fresh air after the rain', you can introduce a bit of ozone and grass scent.... ;)

• SRC Member

:sick:

gosh..throw in a mist maker too and you'll get rainbow after rain under ur mh!!!

seriously, can a led vary its intensity by 15 steps?? cookie, why don't you one small prototype and see if it works well??

oh yah, after my recent project rush is over, come my place for a discussion!

• SRC Member

Sounds like a cool project! Since I know nuts about electronics, I won't add in any tech inputs but....how about instead of a linear moonlight, arrange the LEDs in a "circular" (most likely hexagonal/octogonal) arrangement to simulate moonphase as well??

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

i simulate high tide and low tide. high tide when i top up. after a few days low tide again.

U all are really hardcore man.. moonlight also muz simulate cycle. Do you simulate the tides at different moon phases too? . Do you simulate rare phenomena ? sometimes i will turn on flashlight and pretend got meteor shower above my tank. make my fish happy. sometimes night cloudy no moon when i forget to turn on my moonlight.

i simulate high tide and low tide. high tide when i top up. after a few days low tide again.

Your livestock will get salinity shock... and succumb to stress. If your water levels can evaporate to such depth to simulate the tides. :ph34r::nuke::whistle:upsidedown:

• SRC Member
Sounds like a cool project! Since I know nuts about electronics, I won't add in any tech inputs but....how about instead of a linear moonlight, arrange the LEDs in a "circular" (most likely hexagonal/octogonal) arrangement to simulate moonphase as well??

yup its in the drawing boards now. Akan Datang. hehehe

• SRC Member

Liverock and cookiemonter,

One question on LED. Can their output be varies??

I need a moonbar that can either be vary from 0v to 10v or a moonbar that can be vary through phrase angel control...

Currently I'm only using a tangsten bulb of 5w hook up to the phrase angel control to varies the frequency of the current and hence varies the output of the light.

If LED can be done, that will be cool :yeah:

Bros,

its no problem to do what you requested. I wanted to do one which could simulate the passing shape of clouds over it randomly generated.

However this requires a micro controller. Price will sky rocket. Its part of my DIY plans.

Controlling on and off of LED is easy with a micro controller. But question is how may can and are willing to pay something like $300 to $500 (estimated) for such a set consisting of about 20 to 40 LEDs?

400-500 is not a good budget i must add on

a rough estimate of about $50 to make burn a chip :)

like eeprom

if ppl are really intrested i dun mind trying to make one :)

if really it can be done, how much are u willing to pay??

i might be intrested to try if have the fundings :)