T5 Lights

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

I have a Rainbow T5 (believed it is Normal Output), running @ 28w. Told it is E-Balast, therefore can support High Output tube.

I would like to upgrade the tube to High Output, anyone have done that before?

1. Is it safe to just upgrade the tube?

2. What tube watt can it support to maximum?

3. What is the recommended brand that reefer used?

The purpose of upgrade is for LPS and Clam.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

I have seen the remote ballast for rainbow b4, its output is only limited to 28W.(If yours are the remote ballast type). HO e-ballast is a different thing all together, unless you are into those IceCap.

Are that LFS trying to sell you the HO tube? If he say can ask them to try out a set in the shop.

• SRC Member
Hi Bro,

I have a Rainbow T5 (believed it is Normal Output), running @ 28w. Told it is E-Balast, therefore can support High Output tube.

I would like to upgrade the tube to High Output, anyone have done that before?

1. Is it safe to just upgrade the tube?

2. What tube watt can it support to maximum?

3. What is the recommended brand that reefer used?

The purpose of upgrade is for LPS and Clam.

:thanks:

If the E-ballast is 28W, how to run it on 39W HO T5? Maybe the tube will light up but the full brightness may not be there.

Eric

• SRC Member

If the E-ballast is 28W, how to run it on 39W HO T5? Maybe the tube will light up but the full brightness may not be there.

Eric

I think Eric is right. If the ballast is only rated at 28W, it will not be enough to fully light up the 39W HO tube if at all will light up.

Might wanna get the shop to test one out for you to see. If they also have 39W HO ballast, get them to show you and compare the brightness.

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

Actually all T5 tubes can only operate using Eballast. So dont ever try DIYing 1 with a magnetic one. :lol:

Yep Eric is right. If you are running a T5 HO tube the High Output brightness will not be there and you will overstress your ballast.

HO tubes requires higher current to operate compared to NO tubes too.

The end result would be not as bright light and also either the ballast or tube will die out much faster.

Oh ya, with regards to your lighting for Clam and LPS, you might wana contact our sponsors. Eg. DE lightings.

I'm sure they can hook you up with something.

Since your tank is not very deep, T5 HO should be able to do the job.

Good luck ! :lol:

• SRC Member
Klim,

If I'm not wrong you need to upgrade the ballast also (was told by the lfs).  Maybe you should reverify.

I was told by P**M*** (where I buy from) and A***S***. They told me that Ebalast is very elastic, it can support a varity of bulbs, even HO.

I have seen the remote ballast for rainbow b4, its output is only limited to 28W.(If yours are the remote ballast type). HO e-ballast is a different thing all together, unless you are into those IceCap.

Are that LFS trying to sell you the HO tube? If he say can ask them to try out a set in the shop.

Yes, it is a remote Ballast.

Yes, they are selling the light set and ask them whether I can upgrade my set to support HO, they told me that no problem.

Even, if they showed me the light, I doubt I can tell the different, unless I have a measuring kit.

In that case, I might need to buy everything....

:cry2:

• SRC Member

i run a dymax NO light set in the office using aquaz HO T5.....results is slightly brighter then NO tubes but no where close to those using proper t5 e-ballast.....all these differences can actually be detected with the ###### eye so i think the differences in brightness is quite obvious....