A Poll On The Brand Of Salt Mix Used

zephyros

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I'm using one that is simply branded just as Marine Salt. The packaging mentioned that it is made in USA. One container at $20+ and only for 40 litres. Set up my tank using it and cost me a bomb as mine is a 4ft tank and 2 1/2ft sump. But it is really good....Tried a damsel that was given by the shop to prove that it would be ready after a few hours and surprising true to the shop's claim.

Dun chide me but I went off fish-shopping the following weekend then... :P and so far so good...touch wood...

However, I do waterchanges with Kent Marine now... :P

taung pooom... :P

• SRC Member
Used to use IO....not too bad IMO.

But changed to Coralife now...just bought a huge a$$ bucket....economies of scale...

actually its not true that the coralife bucket is cheaper in terms of economies of scale

the place where i buy from:

1 packet of 6.6kg = $18 so

3 packets of 6.6kg (19.8kg) = $54

1 bucket of coralife is 19.7kg = $55 (think the price increase recently)

• SRC Member
I've used Coralife, IO, Reef Crystals and Tropic M. Not much difference with respect to the response from the tank inhabitants.

Salts that I will never use are Red Sea and ME. :whistle

ME is great for tanks that are new and just starting out but it's not advisable to switch to ME if you have been using conventional salts.

how come???

bother...i wan to try that salt... :paiseh:

• SRC Member
Tried a damsel that was given by the shop to prove that it would be ready after a few hours and surprising true to the shop's claim.

It's a damsel. I doubt a nuclear blast will harm it very much.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
actually its not true that the coralife bucket is cheaper in terms of economies of scale

the place where i buy from:

1 packet  of 6.6kg                = $18 so

3 packets of 6.6kg (19.8kg)  = $54

1 bucket of coralife is 19.7kg = $55 (think the price increase recently)

So I assume u using CL too? Perhaps the price does not escalate inversely with quantity. But imo, it is one of the cheapest salt readily available in the market (Anyway if you buy a big bucket, u get the pail free :D ). Pl correct me if I am wrong. :thanks:

• SRC Member

How is marine environment not conventional?

The commonly available ones like IO, Coralife, Kent, Reef crystals, Tropic M are conventional salts that are widely used.

I personally won't risk crashing the tank by switching to ME if the tank has been on these salts for a few years.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

coral life salt for me. have actually tasted it by mistake. lil bitter. yet, obviously salty. mine came with trace element. but it was somewhere below. didn't know of its existance till today. what does it do?

• SRC Member

So I assume u using CL too? Perhaps the price does not escalate inversely with quantity. But imo, it is one of the cheapest salt readily available in the market (Anyway if you buy a big bucket, u get the pail free :D ). Pl correct me if I am wrong. :thanks:

yup... i use coralife too

but it would be more worth it to buy the 6.6kg packet to top up the pail after you have the pail. Anyway, how do you carry a bucket of salt home if they dun give you a pail?

cheer!

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

wah... seems like alot usin' CL huh...

i hv been usin' TM all these while but recently just tried out ME az the ratin' of it seems so impressive. anyway no harm 4 me 2 change az i hv just upgded my canister filted 3ft 2 sump filted. nothin' much in there 2 c any harm anyway lah.

• SRC Member

new salt i saw.. small pack for like 7-8 gallons.. marrinium.. i think

what do u guys think?? thought of trying or should i stay with red sea?? tried marine environment.. no difference but it did dissolve faster..