Macroalgae turned brown overnight!

• SRC Member

Got some macroalgae, some kind of fern-like thing attached to a rock to place in my sump to try to reduce nitrates. Kept a small PL light shining on it 24/7. After about two weeks, many of the leaves have suddenly overnight turned brown, one stalk has even turned white, like it is dying. Any idea what's happening and what should I do? :cry:

post-7-1120837454.jpg

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

ok... remove the whole thing or just the stalks that turned brown?

any idea how to prevent them turning asexual?

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member
ok... remove the whole thing or just the stalks that turned brown?

any idea how to prevent them turning asexual?

Haha, simple...........feed more to your fishes...........your fish poo will contribute the nitrate and Po4 for your macroalgae to flourish.

• SRC Member

ummm, i don't really want the macroalgae to flourish... it's there to reduce nitrates and phosphates, not to beautify the tank ;) i just don't want it to crash either and pollute the tank...

is the algae able to take 24/7 lighting or should i give it normal daylight hours only?

• SRC Member

Maybe you will like to start with a smaller clump of it and just remove those protion that had gone bad. More advisable to have it 24X7 for the light period. Are you experiencing high niotrates problem?

Wait for my sale of the chaeto :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Maybe you will like to start with a smaller clump of it and just remove those protion that had gone bad. More advisable to have it 24X7 for the light period. Are you experiencing high niotrates problem?

Nitrates around 20ppm... the problem is I'm not sure that it has "gone bad"... some leaves turned brown that's all... will monitor and see.

And yes, chaeto should be a lot more manageable... wonder why LFS don't bring it in if there is such a demand... <_<