Advise Any?

Hi,

Im preparing to start a 3 ft marine aquarium after months of reading, before i start, i like to post my startup steps to get some more expertise advise.. pls feel free to comment and advise as i do not want a crash down.. thanks brudders..

1) put in the crushed corals to abt 2.5 to 3 inches high.

2) put in the filter. ( Im not using the overflow as my system do not allow, im using those box kind that ppl put in the corner of the tanks. I had check with various shop and all say yes.)

3) Put in aged water, anti- chlorine, chloromine and salt, and a power head.

4) put in live rocks...and protein skimmer.

5) if the saltyness is rite, i may put in a shrimp and 2 damsels, correct?

Then i let the water cycle for about 5 days...

after that, i will test the water parameters again, by testing the saltyness, PH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, correct?

if everything is ok, i will let the tank cycle for about 3 wks......

after that, i will check all the parameters again, correct? if all is ok, and ammonia, nitrate, nitrite is 0, then i can stay putting in some corals and fish, rite?

After all that reading, i think this is wat i have absorded.. can any experts here pls guide me if what im going to do is rite? if not pls advise which steps i have done wrong... thanks a million.

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Tunze DOC 9006 DOC protein skimmer

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

• SRC Member
I had check with various shop and all say yes.)

No no. Don't listen to LFS. Use this forum, reefcentral and books. For example bad LFS will recommend you to buy undergravel filter and canister filter even though these are not commonly used in current marine tanks.

5) if the saltyness is rite, i may put in a shrimp and 2 damsels, correct?

No no. Please don't use live shrimp and damsels to cycle your tank. You are torturing them. Use 1 or 2 dead fresh shrimp you buy from market.

put in the crushed corals to abt 2.5 to 3 inches high.

Most people use #0 or #1 grade sand instead of crushed corals for the sand bed.

Hi and welcome to the start of this wonderful but money-absorbing hobby! :)

I am not sure if you have really read enough.... you have to at least understand the concepts behind the practical steps... eg.

1. coral chips vs sand (what grades?)... what depth is effective? What am I trying to achieve with this substrate?

2. try to learn the technical terms and names of equipment so you and other people giving advice will not misunderstand each other.

3. the ethical issue of using live animals to kickstart the cycling period vs using other ammonia-inducing sources.

4. Saltiness is referred to as salinity in this hobby.

5. water cycle and tank cycle... what do you mean by this? Is there a difference? 5 days??

I suggest you read the beginner's guide that Bawater has setup in the New to the Hobby forum.... there are many threads there that are pinned up and will clear your doubts about the above points that I mention.

You sort of got the idea but like I said, understand the idea and not just follow 'steps'.

This is the best advice I can give you.... :)

AT

yes, I agreed with AT. hehe..

understand the concept of cycling the tank.

eh, like one fren I always tell him, get

a proper book to read. Basically all books

are the same. Then u can fine-tune your

own cycling if u want. (add urine also can,

since its suppose to cycling tank)

Dun memorise the steps.. u may just miss

one important detail, then seow liao..

U can always PM me, I will be ard.

PS I doubt u read for months..hehe.. dun take

it serious, me like to kid ard. or u read wrong

books the same time again n again?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks thank brudders,,,

i dun think i will start the hobby ............... yet!!!! but i will start it once i have confident, mean while i will try to surf ard, read more and ask more questions,, hope u guys will advise me,.. thanks for all yr valuable advise,, i dun mind critism its ok,, u can scold me, criticise me,, but pls teach me and give me more knowledge.. hehe.. thanks again brudders.. mayb my understanding not enugh and get the wrong advise....hehe,, but i will start it, definately...... after my knowledge been saved in my memory.. :)

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Tunze DOC 9006 DOC protein skimmer

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns