Something I Dont Understand.

vtec3100

• SRC Member

Hi, I'm a newbie in marine...no doubt i have kept fresh water fishes for quiet some time b4.......

This is something which puzzle me.....

I understand that for keeping anemone or corals.........I need strong lights.......

but on the other hand, if lighting is a must......don't the tank get algae problem?

I also seldom see ppl use UVC on marine tank?

so how do u guys/expert copping with any algae problem?

:huh::thanks:

• SRC Member

This is from what i read and understand, so i might not be totally right.

Unwanted algae will grow when there's phosphates and nitrates in the tank.

We can control the growth of such unwanted algae through the use of:

1.Algae eating creatures like turbo snails, lawnmower blenny.

2.Chemical media can also be used to reduce the amount of phosphates in a tank.

3. Nitrates in a tank can be controlled using both a refugium filled with macroalgae and the use of a DSB in the maintank.

4. Protein Skimmers also help out by removing wastes

Think controlling the timing for lights also help in controlling algae problem but i'm not too sure about that. Anyone can clarify?

• SRC Member

Nitrates can be controlled with a refugium. but nuisance algae uses mainly phospates and silicates. chemical media would be rowaphos or contraphos both of which are pretty good . A good skimmer is a must. lawnmower blenny as i have seen and heard only eats hair algae and some just choose to starve to death. I find turbo snails useless but thats my personal opinion other people use them happily

Hi, I'm a newbie in marine...no doubt i have kept fresh water fishes for quiet some time b4.......

I understand that for keeping anemone or corals.........I need strong lights.......

but on the other hand, if lighting is a must......don't the tank get algae problem?

Do you keep planted tanks? I used to.

Remember what happens when excess fertilizer is (accidentally) released into the water column? eg. when you pull out a plant from the substrate? That's right... you get an algae bloom.

Same thing for marine tanks... any excess nutrients/fertilizer/phosphates/nitrates/dissolved organics in the water will fuel the growth of nuisance bacteria and algae.

The challenge in marine tanks, especially well-lit ones, is the struggle against algae overgrowth. It happens in the wild too... except that the fish and herbivore populations are far larger, active and mobile.... and that's why algae overgrowth is kept back in check.

In our reef tanks with limited herbivore inhabitants, restricted water volume... we have to rely on very good equipment and good husbandry skills to keep nutrients in check.

Hope this answer satisfies you. ;)

AT

• SRC Member

thanks for so many expert's advise.....

now i know that removing of phossphates/nitrate will reduce the amount of algae growth.......

I will be setting up a brand new 3x1.5x1.5 tank likely this weekend (if i got time)....

I'm using about 20 kg of live rocks, these rocks i belief has already been cured (cos i bought it about few weeks back n leave them with the coral farm for curing)

about 3 inches of coral sand.......

eheim canister filter model 2215....with Ceremic ring, ehfisubstrate, phosphate remover (I can't remember the actual product name, it looks like zeolite kind of small small stones) + white filter wool.

how should i start up with the cycling process??

1. clean up the new tank, run tape water for 1-2 days to clear out any sillicon smell

2. drain off all the water, fill half tank tap water with anti-chlorine/chloramine, run for 1 day, add marine salt.

3. add coral sand

4. test PH n salt level

5. add live rock

6. top up the tank with premixed salt water till desire level n leave it to cycle....

7. test NH3/NH4, NO2/NO3 n PH twice weekly...

8. until water parameter ok (could take more than 4-6weeks), add proteain skimmer, than i start to introduce live stocks.....slowly......piece by piece every 2-3 weeks interval....

Am I right in the process? didi i missed out any important steps??

Thanks again for any advises n comments....

Cheers

• SRC Member

some say if dkh is around 12, algae wont thrive. issit true?

Nitrates can be controlled with a refugium. but nuisance algae uses mainly phospates and silicates. chemical media would be rowaphos or contraphos both of which are pretty good . A good skimmer is a must. lawnmower blenny as i have seen and heard only eats hair algae and some just choose to starve to death. I find turbo snails useless but thats my personal opinion other people use them happily

Hey...all hail turbos the bulldozers! You can actually hear their shells knocking on the glass from time to time. :blink:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
how should i start up with the cycling process??

1. clean up the new tank, run tape water for 1-2 days to clear out any sillicon smell

2. drain off all the water, fill half tank tap water with anti-chlorine/chloramine, run for 1 day, add marine salt.

3. add coral sand

4. test PH n salt level

5. add live rock

6. top up the tank with premixed salt water till desire level n leave it to cycle....

7. test NH3/NH4, NO2/NO3 n PH twice weekly...

8. until water parameter ok (could take more than 4-6weeks), add proteain skimmer, than i start to introduce live stocks.....slowly......piece by piece every 2-3 weeks interval....

Am I right in the process? didi i missed out any important steps??

Still nobody comment on this process......... :(

will anyone pls enlighten me will there be any problem with the mentioned startup process???

:thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member

That method should work. However, at the end of the cycling period, think you should do a water change(20% to 50%) before the introduction of any livestock.

I think the pH and NO3 tests are unneccesary during the cycling period but after the cycling is done, you should take note of pH and NO3 levels.

Any pros care to comment?

• SRC Member
- use hand to scrap it off ;) -- algae scraper

- use snails to eat them

- use phos (RawaPhos) to reduce them

- just leave it as some say it will go away

- just leave it as some algae we like them on our LR

- any other? :idea:

try live tiger prawn from the market.

very good algae cleaner. best thing is u can eat them after they grown to the right size...........