Tiny brittle stars FS

Venezia

• SRC Member

Hi folks

once again... presenting the very hardworking and fast reproducing brittle stars...

15 for $5 (mixture of big and small)

and also copepods (1-2mm) by speacial order only (by quotation only)

forgot to add: self collect bt timah only

No aeroplane buyers, first come first served

also like to thank all my past brittle stars fan who have bot the stars in one way or another and have helped to support this hobby.

they are:

Rav-65

Jonathan543

Benjamin

Ettin

Noddy

Darksheep

Unknown

Gouldian

35Cents

Hotlemond

Cjh

Chinmo

Tivoli

Zarkon

Amteo

Acidjazz(gave to his fren)

thank u thank u . sorry if i missed out anyone's name. :bow:

post-10-1121238612.jpg

Edited by Venezia

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

how can u wan all? there are hundreds! :blink: catch until i die

pls pm me should u require 1 set (qty: 15) brittle stars. thanks

names on the list are in random.

Edited by Venezia

• SRC Member

hehehe.....doing some marketing for you......

Characteristics of brittle stars

Brittle stars are close relatives of sea stars. Characterized by radial symmetry with a central body from which five snakelike arms protrude. The arms are highly flexible. There is no replication of internal organs, just one set in the central disk. Compared to starfish, brittle stars have a much smaller central disc and no anus. Wastes are eliminated through the mouth which is situated on the underside center.

On the underside of the body disk there is a splitlike opening at the base of each side of each arm. These ten openings are breathing and reproductive outlets, taking in water for oxygen and shedding eggs or sperm into the sea.

Behavior of brittle stars

As the name suggests, the arms of the brittle stars are rather liable to break. This is actually an escape mechanism. Those arms regenerate quickly and an entire new organism can regenerate, if the broken arm is attached to a seizable portion of the disk. Brittle stars can reproduce asexually by self-division. Brittle stars are the most active and fastest moving echinoderms.

Brittle stars feed on plankton but also on detritus, coral-shed mucus, bottom detritus (detritus = organically enriched film that covers rocks), mollusks and worms.

Lastly.....can I buy some from you? :lol:

hi bro rav-65.

think only triggers have been documented to feed on starfishes of any sort. are you wondering if theres a fish that'll help prevent your population of the 150 brittle stars from reproducing too fast?

cheers,

ian

No lah...

actually I wan them to go forth and multiply... :P

Juz worried my fishes would take them as lunch! :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

No lah...

actually I wan them to go forth and multiply... :P

Juz worried my fishes would take them as lunch! :P

hahah... well, i'm sure with 150 brittlestars for a brood stock, youll be having them multiply in no time. just keep a look out if youve trigger fishes or puffers in your tank, as the brittles might become bite sized candy for them. and no harlequin shrimps for sure. though i think with 150 you might have enough to keep harlequins. hhaha

cheers then,

ian

hahah... well, i'm sure with 150 brittlestars for a brood stock, youll be having them multiply in no time. just keep a look out if youve trigger fishes or puffers in your tank, as the brittles might become bite sized candy for them. and no harlequin shrimps for sure. though i think with 150 you might have enough to keep harlequins. hhaha

cheers then,

ian

Thanxs for the info bro... tinking about Harlequin shrimps... guess I better order 300! :evil::evil::evil:

Den Venezia will spend the weekend catching them! :D :D :D

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

wow, didnt know pseudochromis prey on brittle stars, but the non reef safe wrasses sounds plausible. well... bro rav, think we shall soon find out when you place them in your tank. my best wishes for your introducing them ya.

sis ven must be busy busy. has to catch some stars for me too.

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member

hi. I am interested to try to keep sea stars in my small 2feet tank... just wanna check with u all that the Brittle stars on sale is for feeding purpose or keeping ??

A bit blur... by the way if getting 15 sea stars at one go, would it too many for a small tank like mine?? And is the brittle sea star easy to keep?? any harm if they die in the tank?? :thanks:

• SRC Member

hi ong2ah,

the brittle stars in question are tiny. smaller than ten cents each and they stay relatively this way unlike their larger cousins, so fifteen for a two feet tank sounds alright to me.

their main purpose is as a clean up crew, consuming detritus, algaes and wastes within the tank. they reproduce pretty fast in the right conditions so we were just whimsically discussing the possibility of keeping harlequin shrimps that only eat starfishes.

hi ong2ah,

the brittle stars in question are tiny. smaller than ten cents each and they stay relatively this way unlike their larger cousins, so fifteen for a two feet tank sounds alright to me.

their main purpose is as a clean up crew, consuming detritus, algaes and wastes within the tank. they reproduce pretty fast in the right conditions so we were just whimsically discussing the possibility of keeping harlequin shrimps that only eat starfishes.

Wow!! we need more people like you in SRC... dishing out good and valuable advice! :P

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
hi ong2ah,

Iantoh, thanks for yr info..really appreciate it :)

My tank got one big decorator crab, and one big hermit crab (blue colour).

LS includes tangs, one old blue fin damsel(big bully) and one fierce fire clown...so if i get the brittle stars from venezia... would it it like buying tasty appetizers for my fishes?? dnt wish to kill the sea stars... have make a lot of mistakes esp in the 1st 1.5 years in keeping marine... ending many fishes/invert lives prematurely.. :nc:

:thanks::thanks: