Reasons why?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Reasons why?

• No time to maintain
    • Cost factor e.g electrical and supplements
    • Work
    • Family commitments

• SRC Member

Hi forumers, i would like to find out why forumers give up reefing. I'm trying to do a poll here to find out the main reasons. If there are other reasons, pls list them as well. Thanks

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Hi, Pls include ur names as well if possible. Thanks :)

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

well, my tank crashed abt 2 years ago when i was in bmt.

given the fact i'm stil servin' ns and i'm goin' for uni soon, no doubt i'd not have the time and money so... decided not to halt this hobby for the moment.

• SRC Member

look like this poll machiem no biz... :(

• SRC Member

yes, u are right.. but how to go abt to change the title?? cant edit anymore leh.. <_<

• SRC Member

started this poll after talkin to seamonkee abt the maintenance level of huge tanks... thus, i wanna see the reasons as those are the reasons that i could think of to make me quit marine... but i love sea creatures too much to give them up.. :lol:

:off:

Just curious about somethin Kelstorm. Do you actually own a marine tank? You said in your signature and posted several times before this statement, "take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprint behind.... blah blah... ". Does'nt this thinking conflict with our hobby? :)

"Less technology, more biology" --- John Tullock

• SRC Member

hmmz...i think tt most those reefers who gave up on marine is mainly bcos they think tt marine no such thing as water change??? or they gt no patience quickly add LS... :D my 2 cents.

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member
:off:

Just curious about somethin Kelstorm. Do you actually own a marine tank? You said in your signature and posted several times before this statement, "take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprint behind.... blah blah... ". Does'nt this thinking conflict with our hobby? :)

i do.. but i dun keep reef for that matter, only FOWLR. But i do respect ppl who keep and SUSTAIN corals and propagate them thru proper care, bother to read up on them and investing on equipment to keep them alive. Such ppl actually helps, in a small way, to preserve the harvesting of corals from the sea, giving it a chance.

In my statement, i'm referring to when i dive, i dun take anything including shells or buy ornaments made from shells for that matter. I only give out bubbles, some time 'warm ammonia' as well.. :lol:

Similarly, before i get something, i make sure i read up on them and wat sort of husbandry is required. If it is too tough and i think i cant manage or time consuming, i wun take it up.. but i do respect ppl who dedicate their time to this hobby.

• SRC Member
hmmz...i think tt most those reefers who gave up on marine is mainly bcos they think tt marine no such thing as water change??? or they gt no patience quickly add LS... :D my 2 cents.

Probably true... but you have to consider that there are some who gave up due to valid reasons...

Example such as new commitments..... new baby?

To me, for most I knew who gave up, time and new commitment is always the factor rather than money...

• SRC Member

i guess it is lack of proper planning. there are people who straight away buy a hug tank. they didn't know that the the maintenance level is high (water change) and the equippments to sustain the tank is more than the middle size tank.

hug tank = need more $$$ to buy hug equippments + maintenance level + electricity bill

it is nice to have 5ft - 6ft tank... but i decided to choose 3ft, easy to manage base on my time and schedule. and of course i don't have to pay so much for a hug equippments. 3ft size equippments are not cheap already. can't imagine 6ft tank size equippments and electricity bill.

so, may be the wrong planning is one of the reason :)

age.png

For me even with the new work commitments of frequent travelling trips, will still not give up the hobby as had got a good friend to help maintaining my tanks once a week, haha of course with some small token. ;):P

Will give up this hobby completely unless reaching back home & find most of the live stocks up to lorry :lol:

• SRC Member

Why give up? If you cannot maintain the pristine water condition for sps to thrive, you can always downgrade to keep lps, softies, or even further downgrade to FOWLR. It is still much nicer than a freshwater tank and does not require a lot of time for maintenance and $$$.

• 2 weeks later...

Reefing is a hobby that no one can give up easily. .

So far the most common reasons i heard are

1) Wife complain

2) Frequent travelling due to work commitment

3) baby come = reef tank go.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

my condolences to ur passing of ur dog... :(

My cat of 17yrs old died due to kidney failure caused by diabetes and that also did not stop me from reefing. I kept her since she is 5 months old, you say sad or not?

Most of the time, very common reasons is lack lost of interest but that could be due to trying varous method but end up with not much results :P