Clam can reduce NO3

klim

Using clams IMO is not a very good way to reduce nitrates.

Not only does it deplete the Ca and kH levels rapidly, it is also expensive to get so many clams too

I would suggest you go for another method ;)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
I would suggest you go for another method ;)

Hi Bro, I am not trying to reduce NO3 using Clams, but I heard they need good Water quality....if that's the case that they can reduce NO3, then why the concern of water quality?

Sorry for m innocent qns, just wanna check out before I put my finger on it.... B)

I think I get your point. I am guessing that clams might be able to take in some DOC and prevent them from breaking down into nutrients in our systems.

This way, they indirectly help in a way to reduce nutrients but I reckon a skimmer would do a better job :P:P

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
When your clam start to spawn then you'll know if a skimmer or clam is "nicer".

Anyway someone tank crashed before due to snail spawning and his skimmer could not handle the spike, so don't play play.

Clam Spawning :o

Nvr thought of it, maybe no experience.

But why will spawning coz tank crash? any where have such writeup?

• SRC Member

yeah, thats true. when clams, or rather, any of your livestocks within your tank spawn, they release gametes that if not fertilized to form viable larvae, will need to be skimmed out or removed from the system. if this does not happen, they will break down releasing ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates in turn, back into your system. as bro weileong and blueheaven suggest, the skimmer really is the best way of removing dissolved organics from your system before it is allowed to break down into undesired nitrogenous forms like nitrate.

clams may consume organic particles within the water column but this alone will have little effect on the NO3 levels within your system. also, clams are expensive relatively. if youd like to add some filter feeders to aid the consumption of dissolved organics and help in their way reduce eventual nitrate levels, you can try getting some tube worms. they are cheap, abundant, and do not threaten the reefs in any significant way, unlike tridacna clams which are presently over-collected.

try growing some macroalgaes such as chaetomorpha in a betta box or something if your tank does not have a refugium. the macroalgae's growth will not only bind nitrates out of the water column, but also consume phosphates, which is the primary nutrient causing undesired cyano and green algaes.

well, hope that helps you in some way,

cheers,

ian

ps: if youd like some free macro algaes (i grow caulerpa nummularia), you can pm me ya and next time i harvest, i can give you some.

• SRC Member
yeah, thats true. when clams, or rather, any of your livestocks within your tank spawn, they release gametes that if not fertilized to form viable larvae, will need to be skimmed out or removed from the system. if this does not happen, they will break down releasing ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates in turn, back into your system. as bro weileong and blueheaven suggest, the skimmer really is the best way of removing dissolved organics from your system before it is allowed to break down into undesired nitrogenous forms like nitrate.

clams may consume organic particles within the water column but this alone will have little effect on the NO3 levels within your system. also, clams are expensive relatively. if youd like to add some filter feeders to aid the consumption of dissolved organics and help in their way reduce eventual nitrate levels, you can try getting some tube worms. they are cheap, abundant, and do not threaten the reefs in any significant way, unlike tridacna clams which are presently over-collected.

try growing some macroalgaes such as chaetomorpha in a betta box or something if your tank does not have a refugium. the macroalgae's growth will not only bind nitrates out of the water column, but also consume phosphates, which is the primary nutrient causing undesired cyano and green algaes.

well, hope that helps you in some way,

cheers,

ian

ps: if youd like some free macro algaes (i grow caulerpa nummularia), you can pm me ya and next time i harvest, i can give you some.

Thanks for the advice and yes, I would like to have Macro Algae, but, sad things is that it never survive in my tank....dun know why?

• SRC Member

Thank you to those reefer whom have kindly shared the information. I have indeed learn alot from here.

I believed everything have the good and bad side, just how we deal with it.

I totally agreed with having good skimmer will help to prevent disaster.

I think I will still have clam, but just to keep it as a pet not to have it help in other function.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

hi there klim. you probably already know this, but i hope its a helpful reminder, that you pick your clams according to your lightings set-up. of the tridacnid clams, the crocea and maximas are the most light demanding, and will require MH or at least T5 lightings, whereas for the squamosas and gigas, T5s and good VHOs or power compacts may do.

as for macros not surviving in your tank, its usually either a nutrient issue or lighting issue. what lights are you running, and what are your water parameters like?

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member
hi there klim. you probably already know this, but i hope its a helpful reminder, that you pick your clams according to your lightings set-up. of the tridacnid clams, the crocea and maximas are the most light demanding, and will require MH or at least T5 lightings, whereas for the squamosas and gigas, T5s and good VHOs or power compacts may do.

as for macros not surviving in your tank, its usually either a nutrient issue or lighting issue. what lights are you running, and what are your water parameters like?

cheers,

ian

Hi Ian,

Here is my water Parameter as tested as of 20/July/05:

Calcium (Tropic Marine) = 496ppm mg/l (ppm)

Mag (Tropic Marine)= 1280 mg/l (ppm)

DKH (Sera) = 8 DKH sad.gif

NO3 (Tetra) = 10ppm

Salnity (Hydro) = 1.022

Temp = 29degree C

Using PURII on sump to reduce NH4 & NO3

As for my lighting now running 2x150MH and 4x27w PL

Please comment?

• SRC Member

hi there klim,

your water parameters sound good, perhaps with the exception of NO3 that you can bring down with time. i take it this tank is still cycling without livestock? whats the colour temperature of your MH bulbs? if you have 20000k bulbs, place those on for the moment instead of 10000ks, as the higher blue spectrusm on the 20000k will further fuel coralline growth. but no worries either way, as theres ample light with your MH for coralline growth. gotta give it some time too ya, and i'm sure the coralline algae will start growing like nothing soon. you can pm me if youd like a small piece of rock with coralline algae on it to kick start things ya.

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member
hi there klim,

your water parameters sound good, perhaps with the exception of NO3 that you can bring down with time. i take it this tank is still cycling without livestock? whats the colour temperature of your MH bulbs? if you have 20000k bulbs, place those on for the moment instead of 10000ks, as the higher blue spectrusm on the 20000k will further fuel coralline growth. but no worries either way, as theres ample light with your MH for coralline growth. gotta give it some time too ya, and i'm sure the coralline algae will start growing like nothing soon. you can pm me if youd like a small piece of rock with coralline algae on it to kick start things ya.

cheers,

ian

I actually migrated my tank, my old tank run for 6 mths before tearing down. Attached is my current tank. There is coralline alage on the rocks...

As for my MH, it is 14KK and same as PL light.

The only stoppages to go for clam...is that I still got Chiller outstanding. My tank nowadays runs from 28.2 to 29 (when Mh on for 3 hrs)

post-53-1122644106.jpg