wool in sump

leochngyh

I have a sump and fisrt I just pump my skimmer pump in the first compartment (water from tank) and without any wool.

Later as I rescape my LR, i put quite a big piece of wool in the first compartment and found it really capture lot of debris from the tank.

I saw some design of sump as they dont use wool to filter it out... so just wonder is wool needed?

My tank is 50g(189L) and sump is 10g(37L). Skimmer use weipro 2013.

currently not much LS in, just a boxer shrimp and a tube worm.

• SRC Member

when having a good & powerful skimmer,some people don't use wool anymore.The skimmer can do a much more better mechanical filtration task :)

From my personal experience, placing some wool even in systems with powerful skimmers do help in a way. I am running a Beckett and my wool would turn brownish every day.

Just remember to change it very often. I change mine everyday :)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
From my personal experience, placing some wool even in systems with powerful skimmers do help in a way. I am running a Beckett and my wool would turn brownish every day.

wah everyday?! v.expensive ley...

• SRC Member

Everyday :o

under utilised the wool right?

• SRC Member

I use wool and beckett too. But I only change the wool once a week.

Check out the fish poo :D

post-7-1122748499.jpg

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

i dont change it... but wash it every week. Not much bioload in my tank yet. Another function of the wool in my tank is to trap the micro bubble produced from the overflow from tank.

• SRC Member

guys,

If we do not put wool or pads for fear of potentially high nitrate if not cleaned regularly, how to keep the water debris free? Can the sole use of skimmer (+carbon maybe) polish the water and rid it of the small physically floating dustlike particles?

I have been taking out and putting back the wool in and out several times because in a dilemma. I can see the dust in the water if I do not use wool/pads.

• SRC Member

skimmer basically pulls out the DOC there, the larger particles may still be free floating. a wool is good in catching them.

just get a thin layer after the overflow discharge and change/wash them once a week. no cause for a dilenma unless you had a big chunk of it in one of the entire compartment

Yesterday I tried to take out the wool and had done some rescaping on the LR. The debris is everywhere. After 2-3 hours, it all disappear (without wool) but I can see the difference there with and without wool. More debris inside without wool.

Thinking of putting back the wool as for the whole night, my skimmer skim nothing. But the problem is very dificcult to put take out the wool and put back. Any good design for easy way?