Mineral Accretion technique

• SRC Member

the standard electrode potentials i quoted might be a little confusing, so i bracket them up in here so easier for u guys to compare

for those at the cathode, the higher the standard electrode potential, the easier they are discharged

Ca 2+ + 2e -> Ca (-2.87V)

Na+ + e -> Na (-2.71V)

Mg2+ + 2e -> Mg (-2.38V)

H+ +e -> 1/2 H2 (0.00V)

for those at the anode are the same

2Cl- -> Cl2 + 2e (-1.36V)

4OH- -> O2 + 2 H2O + 4e (-0.40V)

thanks bro iantoh, hope it helped u to understand

bro lester, tried to explain in the simpliest way...but dunno how to make it more simplier...sorry if too chim :P

it ok ... hehe

i a pure chem student myself during my sec school days but it seems now like all is return to watever name the chem teacher is .. :P hehe but still can figure out abit here and there :P gosh.. i am getting old ...

cheers :)

• SRC Member

hi everyone! bro barracuda, a moderator from the arofanatics forum recently set up a mineral accretion experiement, using cathodes and solar cells to power a steel wire mesh frame submerged in salt water. its really interesting and he provides nice pictures and all. looks like it rules out the viability of this tenchnique being used for closed systems.

heres a link to the thread.

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthre...15&page=1&pp=10

cheers,

ian

If the main idea is to create a region by which there is increased levels of minerals, then application of electrolysis in the sea would not be of much harm.

But considering that we do have limited ions in our confined tanks, such applications would cause a drastic decrease in certain ions and cause MAJOR ionic imbalance, am I right to say that? :huh:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

hi there blueheaven,

i think that youre right to say that. i was wondering though if there could be remedies to that situation. like possibly adding some borate to counter sodium chloride breakdown or using a ca reactor to replenish ca and alk as it is being depleted, because alot of the mineral precipitation is possibly a result of ph swings due to the rapid loss of bicarbonates and alk. but it definitely looks like its not feasible for closed systems right now.