Calling all FrogFish LOVERS :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Sure bro nw waiting for my freshwater fish to die of old age hahahhaha then cn make my dream frogfish setup

hehe... i can give you some pointers to speed the process... :P.. wash ur tank this weekend with some washing podwer..hmmm next week you can start planing to buy ur frogfish liao :D

• SRC Member

bro, when to see that yellow frog fish liao....

It was cute....but it is the normal type.

And the owner didn't care for the froggy. The fins was torn.....the he looks frighten

Bro lester....you interested?

hi bro :D

you mean the frogfish at bedok? .. hehe

went ML yesterday... bro Synanceia took the last two frogfish :) he was eariler than me by 2 hours :D

cheers :D

• SRC Member

hi bro :D

you mean the frogfish at bedok? .. hehe

went ML yesterday... bro Synanceia took the last two frogfish :) he was eariler than me by 2 hours :D

bro Synanceia monopolise that frog fish market liao....wondering is the red warty one also took by him?

Which bro bought the red one....care to show yourself? It was a gem. Simply beautiful.

Bro o bro lester. It was a waste. 1 of them was very nice. I very keen to take....except i got no more room for another one.

Bro synanceia...can we go your place to view your immaculate collection??

Sure damn power........

• SRC Member

bro Synanceia monopolise that frog fish market liao....wondering is the red warty one also took by him?

Which bro bought the red one....care to show yourself? It was a gem. Simply beautiful.

Bro o bro lester. It was a waste. 1 of them was very nice. I very keen to take....except i got no more room for another one.

Bro synanceia...can we go your place to view your immaculate collection??

Sure damn power........

yap i agreed :D hehe

Gives me an idea. Maybe I should tell all the LFS to sell me all their froggies once they arrive in Singapore, then sell to the froggies-die-hard fans at cost price +$10 for the less colourful ones, and cost price + $20 for the more colourful ones. :evil:

No lah, I not so bad. ;)

I didn't buy the red froggy. Who bought it? Better own up fast...my reputation at stake.

• SRC Member
Gives me an idea. Maybe I should tell all the LFS to sell me all their froggies once they arrive in Singapore, then sell to the froggies-die-hard fans at cost price +$10 for the less colourful ones, and cost price + $20 for the more colourful ones. :evil:

No lah, I not so bad. ;)

I didn't buy the red froggy. Who bought it? Better own up fast...my reputation at stake.

Ya....who bought it please own up!

Or else we will assume the culprit is Bro Synanceia! Lester please confirm synanceia's address. WE BREAK IN! :pirate::pirate:

Bro, i suppose you dun have the black frog fish. Wakai got 1 nice one. Are you interested?

Bro, i heard some reefer told me you are a expert in exotic and odd ball fishy and you against all odds can keep fishy happy and healthy without the need to invest in expensive equipment yet.

Look forward to learn from you.

yup the owner hous it wif a bigger predatory fish man.....damn...yesterdae when dwn to look but the frogfish was nt in sight.....perhaps a kind soul bought it?? :D

No lah, not expert, still trying to learn. I have my ups and downs too.

Talking to bro angry today really made me feel better after a very sad week. Still haven't quite recovered from it. :cry:

My colleague gave me a big stonefish, which I placed in my big froggies tank. Within a week, all 5 of my froggies died. The black one (which have been with me since I shifted house), the green one, the red one, the yellowish white one (bought from bro angry - sorry bro) the orangy red one. Financially wise, they cost around $300 to $400 in total. Psychologically, it was a big blow. I decided not to buy anymore big froggies.

This is the second time a big stonefish has caused a total tank wipe-out. The first time it happened (a year ago), my whole tank of stonefishes (about 5 palm-sized ones) were dead within a week too. :(

I don't know why this is so. But froggy and stony fans beware of placing big stonies in your tanks. Best to leave them alone.

I guess I'll be wiser after these 2 episodes. Bro angry is right - I probably need bigger tanks. Or maybe I should just not keep big fishes for the time being.

• SRC Member

hehe wow... look like this frogfish gang do reali serve the perposes.. hehe.. :D.. ok i agreed... we break in to bro Synanceia 's house.. knock him out and take all the extoic fishes and spilt among ourself.. :P

yap i agreed .... bro Synanceia is reali a pro in this area... reali hopping to see him in person .. hmm so when u wil be free ???haha

hehe who's in .. ??

btw so sad this week ... nothing left for me ..next time round shipment got to be more fast leg fast hand liao ... ;)..

and yes.. who's the one who bought the red frog hehe pls own up :P haha

i still thinking of the club's name.. still pending the voting system poll .. you guys dun mind rite on the outcome .. and also the t-shirt / polo T design.. wanted some that will make us froggiers stand out :P.. any one interested ?or willing to help on the design ?? :P

:P

warty warty where are you ???. ........ hmmm .....

before i forget .. did u guys give for frogs name ?? mine is titan :P

• SRC Member

Ya....who bought it please own up!

Or else we will assume the culprit is Bro Synanceia! Lester please confirm synanceia's address. WE BREAK IN! :pirate::pirate:

Bro, i suppose you dun have the black frog fish. Wakai got 1 nice one. Are you interested?

Bro, i heard some reefer told me you are a expert in exotic and odd ball fishy and you against all odds can keep fishy happy and healthy without the need to invest in expensive equipment yet.

Look forward to learn from you.

hehe ... i think the boss not veri happy with me ... didn't buy that frog from him ... :P hehe............

hmmmmmmmmm.... :(

oooh my feel sori for u bro to lose all those nice froggies...man...cheer up ay :D

I guess its my fault for pushing my tanks to the limit. All my tanks have been stable for some months already, and then I have to challenge the balance by adding one or two more fish. Like my small specimens tank - all well and happy until I placed this cute trunkfish into the tank - and ich appeared. I promptly removed the trunkfish but damage has been done - two of my beloved leaf scorpions and one yellow-spotted scorpion died. I lowered the salinity from 2.8 to 2.2 in 2 days (surprisingly the starfishes and snails do not seem to be affected by the salinity drop), and no casualties after that.

So the lesson to me is - I need to remember that my tanks are not sophisticated systems, and enough is enough.

• SRC Member

I guess its my fault for pushing my tanks to the limit. All my tanks have been stable for some months already, and then I have to challenge the balance by adding one or two more fish. Like my small specimens tank - all well and happy until I placed this cute trunkfish into the tank - and ich appeared. I promptly removed the trunkfish but damage has been done - two of my beloved leaf scorpions and one yellow-spotted scorpion died. I lowered the salinity from 2.8 to 2.2 in 2 days (surprisingly the starfishes and snails do not seem to be affected by the salinity drop), and no casualties after that.

So the lesson to me is - I need to remember that my tanks are not sophisticated systems, and enough is enough.

sorry for for ur losses ........

• SRC Member
Well, at least I won't be getting anymore big froggies, and I think I am quite done with the smaller froggies (although I am looking for one more orange and red warty or pictus).

So, I won't be crowding anybody out of the froggies market anymore... ;):look:

bro, i am sorry to hear about your frog fish mishap :(

they were really beauty especially the red warty you bought from ah beng.

Bro, you say you will stop buying big frog fish....but how big is your big?

How big is your tank and you house how many frog fish in it? Equipment leh?

After hearing forumer told me you principal of "keeping fishy happy very the need of investing expensive equipment" , i m working toward this objective too :D:D

Need to learn from you.

Call me a sadist if you want....tell you the truth, i actually felt more relieved and console after hearing your frog fish oso can died. I blamed myself for "killing" 3 frog fish so far due to my incompetency and inexperience. Total Destruction $200+. Toying with the idea of giving up......but on hearing even expert also will fail does motivate me :

To err is human............

I m keeping two 4inch+ frog fish in my 1 ft tank using normal overflow filter without skimmer. Wanted to sell my orange one to lester to downsize....but when i come home and look at it....always so reluctant. I very scare the water will crush sooner or later....

bro, i am sorry to hear about your frog fish mishap :(

they were really beauty especially the red warty you bought from ah beng.

Bro, you say you will stop buying big frog fish....but how big is your big?

How big is your tank and you house how many frog fish in it? Equipment leh?

After hearing forumer told me you principal of "keeping fishy happy very the need of investing expensive equipment" , i m working toward this objective too :D:D

Need to learn from you.

Call me a sadist if you want....tell you the truth, i actually felt more relieved and console after hearing your frog fish oso can died. I blamed myself for "killing" 3 frog fish so far due to my incompetency and inexperience. Total Destruction $200+. Toying with the idea of giving up......but on hearing even expert also will fail does motivate me :

To err is human............

I m keeping two 4inch+ frog fish in my 1 ft tank using normal overflow filter without skimmer. Wanted to sell my orange one to lester to downsize....but when i come home and look at it....always so reluctant. I very scare the water will crush sooner or later....

Big is anything from 4 inches upwards. I definitely won't be buying any of those anymore.

Equipment setup cost for each tank = cost of tank + stand + $20 skimmer + $10 filter + $10 coral chips. All 5 tanks (four 3ft + one 2.5ft) are run by a common airpump (around $70). 2 lights in the lower tanks (ocean sun) cos they don't get much sunlight in the day. Upper tanks have additional submersible powerhead turned on for only 8 hours a day. Strict regime of only 2 feeds a week for all ambush predators (scorpions + froggies + stonies). Daily frozen mysis for daily feeders (gurnards + eels + batfish + porcupinefish + cardinalfish + seahorse). 10 to 20% water change fortnightly. Skimmer box cleaned fortnightly. Scavengers (snails + starfish) to eat leftover food. No corals cos system not able to support them. But orange sponges seem to be thriving. Salinity maintained at around 27 to 30 o/oo. Liquid mineral/vitamin supplements fortnightly.

For this type of system, bioload is important (which I pushed over the limit in the recent episode). Once balance is achieved, should not add livestock in anymore (I must stick to that).

Having said that, my dream is to eventually upgrade all my tanks to at least 5ft with sump filters/refugium. Dream and dream... :angel:

• SRC Member

Big is anything from 4 inches upwards. I definitely won't be buying any of those anymore.

Equipment setup cost for each tank = cost of tank + stand + $20 skimmer + $10 filter + $10 coral chips. All 5 tanks (four 3ft + one 2.5ft) are run by a common airpump (around $70). 2 lights in the lower tanks (ocean sun) cos they don't get much sunlight in the day. Upper tanks have additional submersible powerhead turned on for only 8 hours a day. Strict regime of only 2 feeds a week for all ambush predators (scorpions + froggies + stonies). Daily frozen mysis for daily feeders (gurnards + eels + batfish + porcupinefish + cardinalfish + seahorse). 10 to 20% water change fortnightly. Skimmer box cleaned fortnightly. Scavengers (snails + starfish) to eat leftover food. No corals cos system not able to support them. But orange sponges seem to be thriving. Salinity maintained at around 27 to 30 o/oo. Liquid mineral/vitamin supplements fortnightly.

For this type of system, bioload is important (which I pushed over the limit in the recent episode). Once balance is achieved, should not add livestock in anymore (I must stick to that).

Having said that, my dream is to eventually upgrade all my tanks to at least 5ft with sump filters/refugium. Dream and dream... :angel:

Bro, its high time you upgrade your system:)

Hi bro,

It's not that I don't want to, or that I cannot afford to. The amount of $ I have spent so far can easily buy 3 of your kind of system, or even more. Hear me out.

I grew up in a humble family where money is tight, where even a fish costing 60 cents is expensive to me. From young, I either keep fish which I caught myself in the drains, or fish that cost equal to or less than 30 cents a piece (that was in the 1980s). My fish tanks were plastic containers that were translucent at the sides, hence the only view was from the top. I don't even have an airpump, since I can't afford one, and the electricity consumption will add to the burden of my family.

I stopped keeping fish when I was in JC, and briefly kept some while in NS. That was when I came across marine fish, and I bought my first glass tank on a stand (the money came from my NS pay and private tuition). However, whichever article or book I read, the recommended setup is always prohibitively expensive. I read all the fish magazines and articles I could find, and decided to start with lionfishes (because they are simply beautiful). I also decided that I will try my best to use a system which requires the miminum amount of money. Call me stubborn or stupid (or both), but I decided then that being poor does not forbid a person to own a marine aquarium and beatiful marine fish.

I only started to realise my goal after I returned from my overseas study. The effort was intensified after I got married and have my own flat. I tried for 5 years, and eventually came up with a system which is cheap, but rather labour intensive. One cannot have the best of both worlds. However, if the bioload is small, it is still possible to have a cheap system with reduced labour, which I have found in my 2.5 ft tank. This tank is also able to support some corals, because the fish density is very low.

The choice of my first fish also helped considerably. Ambush predators require less frequent feeding, and target feeding means that little uneaten food is left to rot in the tank. I found out about scorpionfishes and froggies, and they became part of my stable colony.

So, this is how I started, and I can say that I am near to my goal. Eventually, I will also buy the optimum system which most aquarists should have.

• SRC Member
Hi bro,

It's not that I don't want to, or that I cannot afford to. The amount of $ I have spent so far can easily buy 3 of your kind of system, or even more. Hear me out.

I grew up in a humble family where money is tight, where even a fish costing 60 cents is expensive to me. From young, I either keep fish which I caught myself in the drains, or fish that cost equal to or less than 30 cents a piece (that was in the 1980s). My fish tanks were plastic containers that were translucent at the sides, hence the only view was from the top. I don't even have an airpump, since I can't afford one, and the electricity consumption will add to the burden of my family.

I stopped keeping fish when I was in JC, and briefly kept some while in NS. That was when I came across marine fish, and I bought my first glass tank on a stand (the money came from my NS pay and private tuition). However, whichever article or book I read, the recommended setup is always prohibitively expensive. I read all the fish magazines and articles I could find, and decided to start with lionfishes (because they are simply beautiful). I also decided that I will try my best to use a system which requires the miminum amount of money. Call me stubborn or stupid (or both), but I decided then that being poor does not forbid a person to own a marine aquarium and beatiful marine fish.

I only started to realise my goal after I returned from my overseas study. The effort was intensified after I got married and have my own flat. I tried for 5 years, and eventually came up with a system which is cheap, but rather labour intensive. One cannot have the best of both worlds. However, if the bioload is small, it is still possible to have a cheap system with reduced labour, which I have found in my 2.5 ft tank. This tank is also able to support some corals, because the fish density is very low.

The choice of my first fish also helped considerably. Ambush predators require less frequent feeding, and target feeding means that little uneaten food is left to rot in the tank. I found out about scorpionfishes and froggies, and they became part of my stable colony.

So, this is how I started, and I can say that I am near to my goal. Eventually, I will also buy the optimum system which most aquarists should have.

hi bro :D reali interested in ur system ... mind if i come over your side one day to see it ????