Long Target feeding tools

zorden

• SRC Member

Get a long plastic tube 5mm outside diameter (the hard transparent type) then insert an injection shringe at one end, and you have a long target feeding tool.

I bought the tube from a LFS, and the shringe from Guardian Pharmacy. It is very convenient and useful.

Sorry I don't have a pic to show. So, hope you can figure it out.

• SRC Member

Zorden,

I have added another option to the sketch that I sent you earlier.

With the same hard plastic tube you can also insert a stainless steel rod or twisted wire through it to feed prawns meat or other bigger pieces of food to yopur corals or anemone. The thin wire is easier to acquire and easier to use. When twisted together it can also serve as a stiff rod.

Please refer to attachment.

Target_Feeding_Tool.doc

• SRC Member

It is not the soft rubber type used for connection to air pumps, but the stiff hard transparent type which you find attached to protein skimmers' air intake.

I bought mine from Rainbow. Later I found out that some LFS do have them too, and cheaper. They have those normal green transparent type too, which can be used also if the diameter is correct (5mm).

• SRC Member

U ever see those children's toys like a grabber at one end and a trigger at the end? Aiya, how to discribe.......

pincer at 1 end and at the other end is a trigger to activate the pincer. Go those toy shop u sure see. just gotta file the pincer down to a smaller size. Works a treat.

• SRC Member
maybe we can use straws too. Just go and get those from auntie selling drinks..

Ya, good idea if you can't find those plastic tube yet! You could tape the straws together with scotch tape to the length you want. Shringes come in different sizes, so choose the right one to suit your use.

• SRC Member

Hi:

Just like to clarify. put the food in the plastic tube or shringe.? If it is in the shringe, the vol of food in it wouldn't be able to travel down to the feeding point. Should the feeding be suck from the end of the plastic tube and push down by the shringe but have to made sure the tube is under vacuum. just my 2 cent.

• SRC Member
Just like to clarify. put the food in the plastic tube or shringe.? If it is in the shringe, the vol of food in it wouldn't be able to travel down to the feeding point. Should the feeding be suck from the end of the plastic tube and push down by the shringe but have to made sure the tube is under vacuum. just my 2 cent.

Fix the attachment - shringe affixed to the plastic tube. Place the end of the plastic tube into the "food" and pull the plunger of the shringe upwards. By doing so the "food" would be sucked into the tube. Then direct the plastic to whichever inveterbrate (target) and then push (press) the plunger of the shringe down. If you want a spray on the "targets", press hard and fast. Press slowly and controlled if you want to aim at any particular "target".

I switch to the stainless rod or twisted wire inserted into the tube to feed my anemones with prawn or fish meat. So, it's 2 in 1.

A very useful tool, but can still be improved.

1) target feeder with "turkey baster" syringe (think ard $20) from cold storage-look under baking section , may cost more, but u will like the suction power this baby provides.The rigid hose is from garden/nursery e.g Far east flora at thomson. Brand is POPE, original use for watering system,various sizes and yes they sell the black plastic tubings cheaper than the LFS...if you are planning a trip to australia, cheaper to get there, from stores like Target, K-mart (garden section)

2) MY OWN, sea weed feeding device, clips 2 seaweed for the tangs to nibble on.the clips are the one's u can get from ikea for resealing potato chips bags...I use fish lines to secure in place on a plastic garden/floral arrangment rod.(from -katong florist.)

post-7-1124929344.jpg

vipersig.jpg