very new to marine aquarium

• SRC Member

hi there.

i am new to marine aquarium ..

i understand that this hobby is not cheap and takes time.

I am planning to set up a small fish tank at my room for this hobby and i am interested in keeping corals.(fishes not for the moment)

Can anyone tell me all the things i need for this hobby and where i can get cheap ones?

What is the least size of the tank? Cause i cant keep to big as i have limited space.

Please give your suggestions and tips.

• SRC Member

Welcome To The Club Bro/Sis!

You may need a

-Good Skimmer

-Calium Reactor

-Fluidised Reactor

For tank size..The bigger the better!

You can try to start of with a 4ft if you have the space and $$

• SRC Member

You dont really need those reactors for small tank, although they are best to have.

You may approach the setup in 2 ways: either setup the tank based on your budget, then go stocking; or determine what you like to have in the tank, then plan your setup.

They are quite different outcome.

HTH

• SRC Member

My advise is to visit LFS and vist alot 1st. Go see which type of corals and fishes you like to try one.

Then plan your equipment on what you wish to keep and can afford in terms of cash and space in your home.

Best would also to visit a few reefers home and i am sure they will be more than willing to share.

;)

• SRC Member

Hi,

Altho the bigger the better, but if you gonna to put in your room, i guess.. you can not go for too big unless you stay in bungalow :lol::lol: . Like myself, i also keep one tank in my room, mainly LPS and few fishes. The spec are as follow:

2ft tank

cannister

clip on fan

normal & cheap cheap skimmer

DIY water top up container

T5 lights

Mini wave maker

These above are the basic you die die must have to start you hobby.

if you have more budget, lets use sump instead of cannister. Easy for you to upgrade equip. next time.

Just my 2 cents of input. ;)

p/s: Besides the equips. You must also die die complete the water circle (say abt a month) before putting anything into your tank. opss./// do water test also.

• SRC Member
Hi,

Altho the bigger the better, but if you gonna to put in your room, i guess.. you can not go for too big unless you stay in bungalow :lol::lol: . Like myself, i also keep one tank in my room, mainly LPS and few fishes. The spec are as follow:

2ft tank

cannister

clip on fan

normal & cheap cheap skimmer

DIY water top up container

T5 lights

Mini wave maker

These above are the basic you die die must have to start you hobby.

if you have more budget, lets use sump instead of cannister. Easy for you to upgrade equip. next time.

Just my 2 cents of input. ;)

p/s: Besides the equips. You must also die die complete the water circle (say abt a month) before putting anything into your tank. opss./// do water test also.

by using a overflow system....a wave maker is not necessary.. :D

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

do plenty of research on marine hobby/marine life

..especially the one u intend to keep....

there's a lot to learn....ie nitrogen cycle,

water parameter, purpose of each equipment...etc

time...tell yourself whether u got plenty

of time to take care of ur marine life... ;)

patience....a lot of patience..... :)

• SRC Member

please slow down..haha

too chim already.

what is a skimmer and which one is the cheapest one? anyone selling ?

i dont plan to get a 4ft one..haha..too big..

mayb around 2 ft. or 1.5.. is it ok?

anyone uses smaller tanks than 1.5?

i tried doing some research and click on some of the links which you guys provided..but too hard to understand cause got so many things to read up then i dont know where to start.

• SRC Member
You dont really need those reactors for small tank, although they are best to have.

You may approach the setup in 2 ways: either setup the tank based on your budget, then go stocking; or determine what you like to have in the tank, then plan your setup.

They are quite different outcome.

HTH

hmm.. i guess i would start buying the things i need. then slowly stock. :D

• SRC Member

I having a 2ft tank in my room with sump, got it from pasar malam section for $30 (2ft tank with overflow,2ft sump and wrought iron stand).Skimmer for a start you can buy weipro series and return pump from sump to tank I'm using Atman 106. Lighting get t5 high out 24watt minimum 2tubes set but I'm using 4 tubes 2 white and 2 actinic blue.

All the equipment you can get it from the pasar malam section very cheap.

Hope this will help for equipment part. good luck :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
hmm.. i guess i would start buying the things i need. then slowly stock. :D

then do tell us what general kind of stocks you gonna put in?

Fish, marine invertebrate (shrimp, crab, snail, cuke, etc), coral (soft, LPS, hard), anemone, etc.

Because what you gonna stock will dictate you gonna need. Its like keeping a secret Jap wife and India wife, you need to provide different room and "bed" for comforts.... kekekeke..... :P

• SRC Member

then do tell us what general kind of stocks you gonna put in?

Fish, marine invertebrate (shrimp, crab, snail, cuke, etc), coral (soft, LPS, hard), anemone, etc.

Because what you gonna stock will dictate you gonna need. Its like keeping a secret Jap wife and India wife, you need to provide different room and "bed" for comforts.... kekekeke..... :P

haha. hmm.. i would start off with soft corals first. I am thinking of getting a very small tank and i dun think i will be able to use a big one. I have seen some pictures showing 1 ft tanks.. looks really nice. :lol: anyone has suggestions where to get them ? or anyone giving up theirs?

whats a sump?

• SRC Member

i can perfectly sympathise with TCS now... cuz like im, i'm really new (but slightly older) than him in terms of birth in this hobby. Like him, i was totally lost and had no idea to start...

so tcs? my advise is to just visit as many site as possible, also, a good book from the library (practical guide to setting up your marine tropical aquairum) is what i found really useful. Basically the idea is to take in as much infomation as u can, jotting down questions u have along the way. either they will be answered as u go along, or u can post them here.

so let me get down to the pt on where my sympathy comes in. here's a newcomer to the hobby wanting to learn more bout this hobby, but the min he asked bout simple questions, he was shelled with replies like SKIMMER, REACTOR, T5 LIGHTS. I mean, i only just recently got to know what all of that meant. IMO (for tcs, it means in my opinion, u may wanna check out the abbreviations segment) i think what tcs really wants, and what i really want, is someone who'd go thru the important steps, pointers, tips and guide thru setting up a tank step by step.... giving an explanation to eqipment and what they do and why they do, also would really help.

don't get me wrong, i'm here at this forum cuz i feel its really so much like a family where people aren't selfish bout thier valuable experience and infomation, and they would gladly share this wealth of infomation with anyone...everyone.

but rather, i'm tryin to point out the main inertia faced by noobies like tcs and me who really are very very interested in takin this up as a hobby, but really just need a good place to start. (here at sgreefclub of course, where else ;D )

so to ma marine fish aquaria buddies here at sgreefclub, firstly, i salute ya =) secondly, i propose for a lil noobie walkthrough of the steps of settin up, and maybe we could all share our opinions on the different setups and different ways of going about doing it.

sory for the marathonic post =)_

• SRC Member
i can perfectly sympathise with TCS now... cuz like im, i'm really new (but slightly older) than him in terms of birth in this hobby. Like him, i was totally lost and had no idea to start...

so tcs? my advise is to just visit as many site as possible, also, a good book from the library (practical guide to setting up your marine tropical aquairum) is what i found really useful. Basically the idea is to take in as much infomation as u can, jotting down questions u have along the way. either they will be answered as u go along, or u can post them here.

so let me get down to the pt on where my sympathy comes in. here's a newcomer to the hobby wanting to learn more bout this hobby, but the min he asked bout simple questions, he was shelled with replies like SKIMMER, REACTOR, T5 LIGHTS. I mean, i only just recently got to know what all of that meant. IMO (for tcs, it means in my opinion, u may wanna check out the abbreviations segment) i think what tcs really wants, and what i really want, is someone who'd go thru the important steps, pointers, tips and guide thru setting up a tank step by step.... giving an explanation to eqipment and what they do and why they do, also would really help.

don't get me wrong, i'm here at this forum cuz i feel its really so much like a family where people aren't selfish bout thier valuable experience and infomation, and they would gladly share this wealth of infomation with anyone...everyone.

but rather, i'm tryin to point out the main inertia faced by noobies like tcs and me who really are very very interested in takin this up as a hobby, but really just need a good place to start. (here at sgreefclub of course, where else ;D )

so to ma marine fish aquaria buddies here at sgreefclub, firstly, i salute ya =) secondly, i propose for a lil noobie walkthrough of the steps of settin up, and maybe we could all share our opinions on the different setups and different ways of going about doing it.

sory for the marathonic post =)_

Thank you :)..

anyways you guys are really giving me great tips..

i am buying a 1ft tank from hammy.. with lights, skimmer and sand.. and pump for around 30.. guess its a good deal..

but of cux i still need tips from you guys ;)

Anyone can suggest some corals which are stronger? cux i am starting out .. hope to find some thougher corals to start with..

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
I having a 2ft tank in my room with sump, got it from pasar malam section for $30 (2ft tank with overflow,2ft sump and wrought iron stand).Skimmer for a start you can buy weipro series and return pump from sump to tank I'm using Atman 106. Lighting get t5 high out 24watt minimum 2tubes set but I'm using 4 tubes 2 white and 2 actinic blue.

All the equipment you can get it from the pasar malam section very cheap.

Hope this will help for equipment part. good luck :rolleyes:

i will be camping at the pasar malam camp for 24hrs hours... :D