My 4ft from DSB to BB

hamannbmw

• SRC Member
Its does look much better, than the earlier jus-over pics.

I wondering if it has more to do with the rocks than anything else... the sudden load on them after the removal of the SB and the adjustment they go thru' with all the new water + flow. Did you noticed if the rocks shedding sand-like detritus out? Its jus the rocks giving out and cleaning themselves and by doing so reaching an equilibrium with the water, so all the PO4 goes out to become water soluble Po4, hence the increase.

(jus thinking aloud... not saying if that is the real reason)

yes, I increase the flow and also collected more detritus in the sump, already siphon out all from my sump and did a 25L water change last Sunday.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

This morning brought my tank water and DI water to weileong's place for PO4 testing, using Hanna meter :P Thanks bro.

1. Tank Water - undetectable

2. DI Water - 0.03ppm

I was wondering how come the tank water PO4 is undetectable but still got green hair algae blooming ??? Hope it will be gone soon.

BTW, I also test for NO3 using newly bought salifert NO3 test kit, its "undetectable" too. :huh:

He just changed to fresh new rowa last night so it is possible that the PO4 is really undetectable in this tank water.

Simon, maybe you try use salifert PO4 test kit to measure again see got color or not.

Hair algae is taking nutrients from your LR so it'll take sometime to die off, as long as you keep your PO4 undetectable then you're heading the right direction.

• SRC Member
He just changed to fresh new rowa last night so it is possible that the PO4 is really undetectable in this tank water.

Simon, maybe you try use salifert PO4 test kit to measure again see got color or not.

Hair algae is taking nutrients from your LR so it'll take sometime to die off, as long as you keep your PO4 undetectable then you're heading the right direction.

I'll do a test tomolo using Salifert test kit again... cos at night, my house mostly yellow bulbs cant see clearly :P

Actually right now the hair algae only grows on the glass. As for rocks , its only a small patch (foothold 1 cm X 2cm). I wonder if I maintain my PO4 undetectable, will the algae keep growing.. or remain as it is, b4 it dies off.

• SRC Member

I've notice my hair algae have stop growing (though its still visible).. Was it becos of undetectable PO4 or something else, I cant really figure out.

I've read somewhere where it says : PO4 test kit only measures soluble but not insoluble. So does insoluble contribute into the growth of algae ?

FOr the past few days I've been dosing "Salifert PO4 Eliminator", it a product that will not reduce PO4, however it traps PO4 and eventually being skim out by the skimmer, this is prevent food for algae.

Anyone has use this product b4 ? ..

• SRC Member
after stop growing, they will die slowly, but surely.

hopefully..... I remember the past when i have a DSB, i bought some rocks from fellow reefers with green hair algae, but when i put it into my tank, after a few days the algae is gone :huh:

Well, I've search in RC about this product " Salifert A E " but do not have much reviews for the last 1 year, infact with the minimum reviews , most r negative but i still choose to use it, bo pian "kan chiong"

• SRC Member

In my tank, it happend that after a few day , i change my PO4 absorber, all gone DED. but still there unitl I bought 2 YT home, they finished everything.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
I've notice my hair algae have stop growing (though its still visible).. Was it becos of undetectable PO4 or something else, I cant really figure out.

I've read somewhere where it says : PO4 test kit only measures soluble but not insoluble. So does insoluble contribute into the growth of algae ?

FOr the past few days I've been dosing "Salifert PO4 Eliminator", it a product that will not reduce PO4, however it traps PO4 and eventually being skim out by the skimmer, this is prevent food for algae.

jus came across a quote for Bomber's tank thread :

quote:

Originally posted by jaypee

That's fine, and certainly the lower descernable limit of a lot of test kits. Yet, a lot of studies of natural systems consider levels in the .01 to .03 range to be eutrophic. (nutrient rich, pollutant levels)

And of course, that test kit is only testing for for water soluble in-organic orthophosphate, the least prevalent form of phosphate in your tank. It is highly reactive and is bound up almost immediately that it comes available by organic organisms (bacteria, algae, etc.). If you get any kind a reading at all from that test kit, you are already way over the line.

Exactly

i.e. if you get a reading, its excess leaking... more than what is can be consumed... I'm not too concern by the PO4 values, why not let the corals tell you whether its excess.

I've not used it... but came across this,

PE same one? sounds quite good. :yeah:

• SRC Member

hamannbmw,

May I ask how much is the "Salifert PO4 Eliminator" and where you purchase it ?

I am keen to try out this product to see the result..

CHEERS!

• SRC Member
i.e. if you get a reading, its excess leaking... more than what is can be consumed... I'm not too concern by the PO4 values, why not let the corals tell you whether its excess.

I've not used it... but came across this,

PE same one? sounds quite good. :yeah:

Yes Madmac, I'm using the same products. Please note it doesnt remove PO4 rather than trapping it and starve the algae. The skimmer need to do the job.

I'm dosing it almost every other day instead of weekly. I'm going to starve the algae to death. <_<

However, I still feels that long term usage of any additive will soon cause ironic inbalance in the tank parameters. So reefers who wanna try it please monitor yr tank daily for any changes.

Here's the extract from the product.

Phosphate Eliminator binds phosphate and is removed by skimming more effectively than normal. When we dose it to the reef or marine aquarium, it immediately makes phosphate unavailable to algae. It also avoids binding of phosphate to corals, live rock and sand, increasing the ability of corals and calcareous algae to grow much faster.

The phosphate bound by this supplement and not removed by skimming within 24 hours will be set free again by bacterial action. This will be especially the case when dealing with a rather high phosphate concentration. Daily dosage is required in such cases.

Increased phosphate concentration in the skimmed foam will be observed a couple of hours after Phosphate Eliminator has been dosed.

• 2 weeks later...