lion fish

can lion fish mix wif clown fish an shrimps? ani other more fishes and corels? easy to keep ?

• SRC Member

IMHO, it's possible that lions and clowns (or other fishes per se) live in harmony. Chances are increased if:-

1) The clowns are introduced into the tank 1st;

2) The clowns are bigger than the lions (the bigger the clown, the lower the chance of getting eaten :lol: );

3) The lions have been weaned into frozen food for some time already.

Again, I do not guarantee anything. The a/m will only increase the chance of survivability. :evil:

On the other hand, do note that some fishes can be harmful to lions. Lions essentially only hunt for food. But some fishes which are faster swimmers may nib at the lions' finnage that eventually kill them due to stress and severe damages. :sick:

• SRC Member
ok thanks. easy to rear? ani corels to add in?

Largely depending on what kind of lions you are keeping, Lions are generally quiter hardy for a start. But they tend to get cloudy eyes tho if care is not taken due to water parameters, some actually argued thats its due to harsh lighting which i do not think so.

IMO, shrimps are kinda dangerous to be kept with lions, i'm damn sure they will be eaten:)

• SRC Member

lion fish will grow bigger, and can outgrow a clownfish.

You start a small fish of both, evetually the lion will outgrow the clown.

Well, if you really interested, it can be "fun", if your clown is hosted onto anemone, you may entertain by some chasing scenes, and tell us do anemone really that helpful for the clown.

Also becareful with lion fish, their spikes are poisonous, maybe not that fatal.

okok thanks alot... hmm... i dont tink i wanna get the lion animore... hehex.. kinda scary.... lolx thanks bro

Aiya lion is reef safe one la....wont even bother ur corals but sponges and tubeworms not guaranteed safe....shrimps are especially at risk or so to say all invertables are at risk....but if it is too big for its mouth, the lion wont bother...the lion is also super hardy and is great for all tanks be it just started or established...but it depends on what live stock u have...

i currently got one like 3'' to 4'' lo...and got tis 1.5'' clown tang inside it....the lion doesnt even bother it but its still not yet trained to eat frozen but will eat freshly dead shrimp and live ones....have no intention of sellin la so wont purposely put it up for sale just yet...but if any of interested i will sell la...cos i want to keep small small fishes.... :P

So, Pm me price if u interested...the range i willing to sell is at least $14 :)

post-54-1125645691.jpg

so long the fish together with the lion fish is larger than the lionfish, it would be alright, but bear in mind of the lion fish outgrowing other fish too.

Lion fish used to be the fish to cycle tanks, but because damsel were cheaper, it out run the lion fish in cycling tanks. Lion fish is considered hardy, but it has to begin eating dried or frozen food.

Lion fish can dun eat for period of time too. Usually upon purchase, the lionfish not eating within the first week is normal. to induce feeding, u can start fw food thereafter switch to frozen and dried fish food.

• SRC Member

Don't be mad. Your tank will be fishless. Why don't you go to the zoo and ask if the antelope, rabbits, horses, monkeys.... if they want to stay with the Lion King. Lion shall be kept alone. You think antelope, rabbits, horses, monkeys.... like to stay with a baby Lion? Same logic.

Your tank will become very dull with only one lion.

Face it, no Lion. Sorry for being so frank.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

I've been keeping two 9inch volitans for three years together with other fishes. As long as it doesn't feed into the lions mouth, they should be safe. Currently keeping them with a polkadot grouper and a zebra moray. Shrimps are no no so dun even think about it:)

Frogfishes can take slender fishes longer than itself....haha...poor lion...supposed to be the dominating fish of most aquariums....

My tank has a foxface rabbitfish, veliferum, percula clown, ard 5 damsels....haha my lion doesnt even bother them at at....probably due to its small size...ard 3''

Today saw a antennata of ard 1'' only at iwarna....so cute and small...so tempted to buy again... :P

• SRC Member

nice looking frogfish ... looks big yeah ..

I like lion alot but i also like other fishes .. so when come to final decision, prority will be given to my lions .. hahaha ...

love to have some fast swimmer along with the lion but always wary that it might feed on ...

currently have

-sailfin

-fox face [if i am correct ]

-maroon clowns

-black clown

-yellow and blue tang

-damsels

-2 boxer shrimp

-not forgetting my 2 lions ...

just wonder ... can i put in a school of chomis .. haha... great risk to take ..

• SRC Member
nice looking frogfish ... looks big yeah ..

I like lion alot but i also like other fishes .. so when come to final decision, prority will be given to my lions .. hahaha ...

love to have some fast swimmer along with the lion but always wary that it might feed on ...

currently have

-sailfin

-fox face [if i am correct ]

-maroon clowns

-black clown

-yellow and blue tang

-damsels

-2 boxer shrimp

-not forgetting my 2 lions ...

just wonder ... can i put in a school of chomis .. haha... great risk to take ..

I feed my lions chromis and clowns once in a while haaaahaaaahaaaaaa. Save the money.