Weipo Sa-2014

vincegoh

Anyone using the Weipo SA-2014 protein skimmer?

Er.. I have a few queries:

1) Must it be use with a Weipo water pump?

2) I have brought a Dynamax 2500L/h but the size of the outlet to the inlet of the PS is not the same. I tried to get a reducer from hardware shop but in vain. Any body with the same problem? Or must I buy a new Weipo pump which I assume will be able to fix the PS inlet.

3) How to tune the PS? There is only one knob which is to control the outlet. How to determine whether the tuning is correct. Must I tune until the bubbles kind of overflow out of the inverted cone? Or should I just leave it slightly below?

My tank has just been running for about 3 weeks only. Appreciate help from u guys. Thanks.

• SRC Member
Anyone using the Weipo SA-2014 protein skimmer?

Er.. I have a few queries:

1) Must it be use with a Weipo water pump?

2) I have brought a Dynamax 2500L/h but the size of the outlet to the inlet of the PS is not the same. I tried to get a reducer from hardware shop but in vain. Any body with the same problem? Or must I buy a new Weipo pump which I assume will be able to fix the PS inlet.

3) How to tune the PS? There is only one knob which is to control the outlet. How to determine whether the tuning is correct. Must I tune until the bubbles kind of overflow out of the inverted cone? Or should I just leave it slightly below?

My tank has just been running for about 3 weeks only. Appreciate help from u guys. Thanks.

Your answer:

1. Not necessarily.

2. Weipro pump's output will not fit the size of your PS inlet as well. To remedy the problem, you can try using a bigger pipe that fits the outlet of your pump and use another smaller pipe that fits the inlet of your PS. Connect the big and small pipe together by squeezing the small pipe into the big pipe. I've personally tried using Eheim pipes and it works. Make sure you squeeze quite a fair amount into the big pipe to prevent leaks.

3. I'm personally still trying to fine tune my PS. What I do is to adjust the foam towards the cup (before the 'Y' shaped narrow "funnel"). Leave it for about 20mins and monitor the water level and the foam. Make sure it does not overskim and overflow your cup. Your foam should slowly build up over days and eventually flows out slowly into the cup from the "funnel".

Good luck. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I have managed to use those plumber tape (white tape) and cable tie to connect the power head into the inlet of the PS.

Also, manage to adjust the flow. Now the affluent is as black as coffee. ;)

Thanks for replying, pal.

;)

• SRC Member

hey vincegoh, im using the same skimmer at u but my 2650lph pump is somewhat under-rated... ermmm when u open the outflow of the skimmer back to your tank to the max, does the water level drop drastically or does ie drop slightly in the cylinder? can u see thru the skimmer cylinder thru the bubbles or are there too many bubbles for u to see thru? thanks! :thanks:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

Well, I am just using a Dynamax 2500Lph. I think it should be enough.

I think it is normal as a slight adjustment in the control knob and water level drop quite significantly. I have spent some time to trial and error for the best water level before it really work properly which is quite satisfactory.

How much u bought your powerhead and Weipro 2014? Thanks?

So what is your solution to the connection between the powerhead and PS?

Good luck.

By the way, I can see the bubbles initially. After a day or so, I cannot see the bubbles in the inverted funnel as it is covered with dark blowish filth/slime. Kind of smell like shit too. By the container is quite big so I think 1 week empty once is quite alright. ;)

hey vincegoh, im using the same skimmer at u but my 2650lph pump is somewhat under-rated... ermmm when u open the outflow of the skimmer back to your tank to the max, does the water level drop drastically or does ie drop slightly in the cylinder? can u see thru the skimmer cylinder thru the bubbles or are there too many bubbles for u to see thru? thanks! :thanks:

I've tried using eheim 1060 (2250ltr/hr) and its very much over-rated! I've to install a ball valve and close about 3/4 (and the valve on the skimmer is fully open). Now I'm using eheim 1250 and it seem to be just nice.

Hi, in future, pls post all marine equipment questions in the Marine Aquarium Equipment Forum.

Thanks for your co-operation. I'm moving it there now for you.

AT

• SRC Member

Hi Sunray,

Can u explain in detail to how to do so? I'm new to marine, u know

Thank ;)

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• SRC Member

yea i did what sunray did vincegoh... i used a normal hose.. i think the biggest one available and just attached one end to the ph and the other to the skimmer.. seems like the cheapest alternative... im used a weipro 2500lph that was way underpowerd so i changed to an old PH that my dad used for FW many years ago! seems underpowered as well... well... it's abt a decade old! :P

hmm crab, do u get really back skimmate? i was thinking of getting that PH but the price really put me off! seems like it's value for money but seems like Dynamax can produce the same kinda results... :eyebrow:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

hmm crab, do u get really back skimmate? i was thinking of getting that PH but the price really put me off! seems like it's value for money but seems like Dynamax can produce the same kinda results... :eyebrow:

Just install for few days only. See lots of dry bubbles, and black dots. its a new empty tank with sand, don't think I'll get lots of black skimmate due to low bioload.

I'm running my pump externally. Any pump will be as good if submerge in the sump.

I've tried using eheim 1060 (2250ltr/hr) and its very much over-rated! I've to install a ball valve and close about 3/4 (and the valve on the skimmer is fully open). Now I'm using eheim 1250 and it seem to be just nice.

What is the rating of eheim 1250? This is a centrifugal PH, the store boss advice me against it as it is too powerful. He is the one that recommend me the Dynamax PH.

What do u means by just nice now? Do u means that by using eheim 1250, the outlet valve is turned to the maximum output and the water level is still at the entrance of the PS?

'cause I think for my case now, my outlet valve is turned on half way only for the PS to work properly. Does this means that my PH is not enough for the PS?

:blink:

Hi, in future, pls post all marine equipment questions in the Marine Aquarium Equipment Forum.

Thanks for your co-operation. I'm moving it there now for you.

AT

Thanks, Achilles.

Sorry about that, pretty new to this forum and to marine hobby as well.

:bow:

What is the rating of eheim 1250?  This is a centrifugal PH, the store boss advice me against it as it is too powerful.  He is the one that recommend me the Dynamax PH.

What do u means by just nice now? Do u means that by using eheim 1250, the outlet valve is turned to the maximum output and the water level is still at the entrance of the PS?

'cause I think for my case now, my outlet valve is turned on half way only for the PS to work properly. Does this means that my PH is not enough for the PS?

:blink:

Eheim 1250 should be 1250 lph. Maybe the margin is higher from Dynamax ;)

My outlet valve is close less than 1/4 (slightly > 45 degrees from open position). I think your PH is underated.

For max efficiency, the valve should be fully open. I'm able to tune to that using eheim 1060 with an inlet valve. But wasting electricity.

Eheim 1250 should be 1250 lph. Maybe the margin is higher from Dynamax ;)

My outlet valve is close less than 1/4 (slightly > 45 degrees from open position). I think your PH is underated.

For max efficiency, the valve should be fully open. I'm able to tune to that using eheim 1060 with an inlet valve. But wasting electricity.

That means that 1250lph is too weak and 2250lph is too strong. Let's say 1800lph will be quite perfect as it will have the most efficiency with the outlet valve fully open. But it is so hard to gauge since the power rating is not really correct, just like my Dynamax 2500 (suppose to be 2500lph) seems to be too weak as the outlet valve is also about half open only.

Any other good suggestions? SHould I change to a new PH?

Thks.

• SRC Member

hmmm so is it safe to say that u need a damn strong pH, fitted with an inlet valve and the output of the skimmer fully open, and the water level just before the funnel of the collection cup for the BEST skimmate? :erm: would be rather hard to achieve that right..

• SRC Member

Weipro has pump with Weipro 3000,5000,7000....

Weipro 3000 is more suitable for using Weipro 2012, tink for Weipro sa2014, u may need the Weipro 5000/7000... IMO, u may wan to take the 7000 cos the flowrate is actually adjustable....

onli disadvantage bout weipro pump is that it is large n bulky....

vincegoh:

u may wan to go to ML for recommendations from Henry there... cos he is also reviewing on his sa-2014... u can get a realli gd recommendation from him :)

Weipro has pump with Weipro 3000,5000,7000....

Weipro 3000 is more suitable for using Weipro 2012, tink for Weipro sa2014, u may need the Weipro 5000/7000... IMO, u may wan to take the 7000 cos the flowrate is actually adjustable....

onli disadvantage bout weipro pump is that it is large n bulky....

vincegoh:

u may wan to go to ML for recommendations from Henry there... cos he is also reviewing on his sa-2014... u can get a realli gd recommendation from him :)

Weipro 7000 means that it has the capacity of 7000lph!? Is it a centrifugal pump?

Thanks.

• SRC Member

nope not really... i have a weipro 3000 and the flowrate is only 2500lph.. ;)

• SRC Member

wait for aquarama... :heh: